Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-04-2012, 07:08 PM   #5853
Senior Member
 
Lindsay Richards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Tavares, FL
Posts: 1,644
Quote:
Seems there are moves both ways..... maybe it is more local politics than over nighters?
As I said, there is a whole range of reason, some under our control and some not under our control. The one you mentioned in Lake City, Florida was due to a campground owner and was lifted by a letter writing campaign (which I and many others participated in) by Escapees group. They have also prevented others. I believe in stopping these bans anyway we can. When we first started Wal-Mart overnighting over a decade ago, these bans were almost unheard of. I didn't even know they existed. If you look at Allstays, you will see a huge number now in Florida that are banned. I didn't count them, but on their map, it is about 50% or so with the main reason being local ordinance. Pull up the Allstays Florida map and look for yourself ans see which way you think it is going.


Red = No Park Yellow = OK to Park
All user reported and I know of obvious errors, but it is what we have.

http://www.allstays.com/c/walmart-fl...ations-map.htm
__________________

__________________
http://www.linandnancy.com
Lindsay Richards is offline  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2012, 07:14 PM   #5854
Senior Member
 
max49's Avatar
 
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Parker, CO
Posts: 3,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickest1 View Post
If all the anti-Wallydockers didn't come on here, then we would probably all agree! That would get boring!
Absolutely, we've got to keep this thread fun, [moderator edit]

I think they should have the "Basement Department , not for the faint of heart" for thread that have no redeeming value at all except to entertain children of all ages.
__________________

__________________
Max
2018 Gulf Stream Conquest 6238 on Ford E-350 Super Duty
Parker, Colorado
max49 is offline  
Old 11-04-2012, 07:15 PM   #5855
Senior Member
 
Tsronco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgetown350
There is no getting away from the discussion of how to park at Walmart as this is the OPs topic.

I park with the slides out, might use a lawn chair if the sun is shining and put out a water bowl for the doggy. How do you guys do it? Maybe we can get a feel for how the majority of rvers park at Wally mart without getting nasty.
I do and will continue to wallydock with slides out and generator running, in the 5er I'm looking buy the kitchen is unusable with slides in. I like a/c (I'm not a small guy). I like tv, therefore generator is needed.

I have a dog every once in a while he's needs to use the potty and since he lacks the opposable thumbs to lift the seat I have to take him outside, but we pick up immediately.
__________________
Tsronco is offline  
Old 11-04-2012, 07:39 PM   #5856
Senior Member
 
max49's Avatar
 
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Parker, CO
Posts: 3,102
I just thought of a great idea, altho, I have never been able to get an "IRV2" sticker, they should make "IRV2 WallyDocker" or "IRV2 WallyMoocher", which ever name you prefer, we could add our own screen name and we could have a good laugh together at Wallyworld, well , at least for as long as it lasts.
__________________
Max
2018 Gulf Stream Conquest 6238 on Ford E-350 Super Duty
Parker, Colorado
max49 is offline  
Old 11-04-2012, 08:52 PM   #5857
Senior Member
 
max49's Avatar
 
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Parker, CO
Posts: 3,102
Overnight parking at Wal-Mart banned

By MARCIA NELESEN ( Contact ) Tuesday, Dec. 18, 2007
EMAIL SHARE PRINT

ADVERTISEMENT

Photo


Photo by Al Hoch
A couple from central Wisconsin spent the night parked in the Janesville Wal-Mart parking lot.


Photo


Photo by Dan Lassiter
A sign posted in the Wal-Mart parking lot.


JANESVILLE — A driver passing by the Wal-Mart Supercenter early on a recent morning noticed a recreational vehicle in the parking lot near Interstate 39/90 and Highway 26.
It was parked with its satellite dish up.
Contact with the owner confirmed that the traveler had spent the night in the lot.
That violates the conditional-use permit approved by the plan commission when it OK'd Wal-Mart's site plan before it opened a year ago.
Gale Price, the city's building and development services manager, said the city has received a couple of complaints about overnight camping since Wal-Mart opened.
"We are coordinating enforcement with the police department regarding that," Price said.
The property is posted and warns travelers against spending the night. The store is open 24 hours, so that might make it more difficult to spot overnighters.
Price said it's sometimes clear that the RVs are spending the night when they have their sides down or their satellites up. Otherwise, it can be harder to tell.
The problem is that Wal-Mart nationally promotes its parking lots as overnight sites for campers with only a handful in the country prohibiting the practice, Price said.
"Ultimately, it's Wal-Mart's responsibility to run them off," Price said.
"If they're not doing it, that's an issue."
Police also can issue tickets, Price said. The fine for violating the ordinance is $502.
The store manager, contacted Monday, declined to comment for this story.
Price said overnight parking hasn't been a huge problem.
"But, if it becomes a huge problem, we'll start issuing citations to Wal-Mart," Price said.
"They gotta keep the campers out."
The prohibition was included in the conditional-use permit because overnight camping was a concern of the neighbors.
"There's a certain level of tackiness involved with having people camping in the parking lot and pulling out the grill," Price said.
Also, Price had experience with campers dumping their waste in the storm sewer of the Wal-Mart parking lot when he worked for a city in Illinois.
The Wal-Mart store here is zoned B4, and camping is not allowed in that zoning.
People who suspect overnight camping can call the police's non-emergency number at (608) 757-2244.


Are'nt alot of you guys a little arrogant thinking it's nobodies business what you do at your Wal Mart? I thought you said nobody notices us. I think we should make it as less obvious as possible when we over night there, if we want to keep a good thing.
__________________
Max
2018 Gulf Stream Conquest 6238 on Ford E-350 Super Duty
Parker, Colorado
max49 is offline  
Old 11-04-2012, 09:07 PM   #5858
Registered User
 
Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Indiana
Posts: 4,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by max49 View Post
[moderator edit].

Question; Now what's the difference between the so called wallydockers and the homeless who sleep on the sidewalks.

Answer; the wallydockers think they are superior to them and brag about it on the internet for the whole world to see.

So wait, your fellow RV'ers are actually egotistical homeless people looking for freebies and handouts?

[moderator edit]..
__________________
Midniteoyl is offline  
Old 11-04-2012, 09:16 PM   #5859
Registered User
 
Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Indiana
Posts: 4,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by max49 View Post
Overnight parking at Wal-Mart banned

By MARCIA NELESEN ( Contact ) Tuesday, Dec. 18, 2007
EMAIL SHARE PRINT

ADVERTISEMENT

Photo


Photo by Al Hoch
A couple from central Wisconsin spent the night parked in the Janesville Wal-Mart parking lot.


Photo


Photo by Dan Lassiter
A sign posted in the Wal-Mart parking lot.


JANESVILLE — A driver passing by the Wal-Mart Supercenter early on a recent morning noticed a recreational vehicle in the parking lot near Interstate 39/90 and Highway 26.
It was parked with its satellite dish up.
Contact with the owner confirmed that the traveler had spent the night in the lot.
That violates the conditional-use permit approved by the plan commission when it OK'd Wal-Mart's site plan before it opened a year ago.
Gale Price, the city's building and development services manager, said the city has received a couple of complaints about overnight camping since Wal-Mart opened.
"We are coordinating enforcement with the police department regarding that," Price said.
The property is posted and warns travelers against spending the night. The store is open 24 hours, so that might make it more difficult to spot overnighters.
Price said it's sometimes clear that the RVs are spending the night when they have their sides down or their satellites up. Otherwise, it can be harder to tell.
The problem is that Wal-Mart nationally promotes its parking lots as overnight sites for campers with only a handful in the country prohibiting the practice, Price said.
"Ultimately, it's Wal-Mart's responsibility to run them off," Price said.
"If they're not doing it, that's an issue."
Police also can issue tickets, Price said. The fine for violating the ordinance is $502.
The store manager, contacted Monday, declined to comment for this story.
Price said overnight parking hasn't been a huge problem.
"But, if it becomes a huge problem, we'll start issuing citations to Wal-Mart," Price said.
"They gotta keep the campers out."
The prohibition was included in the conditional-use permit because overnight camping was a concern of the neighbors.
"There's a certain level of tackiness involved with having people camping in the parking lot and pulling out the grill," Price said.
Also, Price had experience with campers dumping their waste in the storm sewer of the Wal-Mart parking lot when he worked for a city in Illinois.
The Wal-Mart store here is zoned B4, and camping is not allowed in that zoning.
People who suspect overnight camping can call the police's non-emergency number at (608) 757-2244.


Are'nt alot of you guys a little arrogant thinking it's nobodies business what you do at your Wal Mart? I thought you said nobody notices us. I think we should make it as less obvious as possible when we over night there, if we want to keep a good thing.
They ALWAYS cite 'dumping' or 'crime' or 'homeless' or whatever.. I bet you $50 that if we could get the actual minutes of those planning meetings, you would find there is a campground owner or some other tourist attraction involved.. Ever single one that has actually come to light has been, that I have seen so far. NOBODY is going to admit its because 'We got paid off'
__________________
Midniteoyl is offline  
Old 11-04-2012, 09:22 PM   #5860
Senior Member
 
Lindsay Richards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Tavares, FL
Posts: 1,644
Having been to one of those meetings myself, I have told you it wasn't then. Did you look at the Allstays link showing about 50 % of the FL Wal-Mart off limits? Please list the ones you are talking about so we can all know? Thanks A great chance to inform us Wally Dockers.
__________________
http://www.linandnancy.com
Lindsay Richards is offline  
Old 11-04-2012, 09:25 PM   #5861
Senior Member
 
UFO Pilot's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 4,610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
They ALWAYS cite 'dumping' or 'crime' or 'homeless' or whatever.. I bet you $50 that if we could get the actual minutes of those planning meetings, you would find there is a campground owner or some other tourist attraction involved.. Ever single one that has actually come to light has been, that I have seen so far. NOBODY is going to admit its because 'We got paid off'
I will take that bet. As I posted before there are no camp grounds in my City and I have asked 3 of the City Council members the reason for the "official" ban. They all told me the local PD asked for the ordinance.

By the way, I am not anti WalMart RV'ers as I have a few RV friends who use them as much as possible.
__________________
Wayne & Roberta and Maggie the Miracle Dog
08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis
Making the Journey in our Destination

UFO Pilot is online now  
Old 11-04-2012, 09:27 PM   #5862
Senior Member
 
BFlinn181's Avatar
 
Gulf Streamers Club
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 16,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by max49 View Post
[moderator edit]

Question; Now what's the difference between the so called wallydockers and the homeless who sleep on the sidewalks.

Answer; the wallydockers think they are superior to them and brag about it on the internet for the whole world to see.
[moderator edit]

If you somehow think there is a comparison of homeless folks and RVers staying a night at a Walmart parking lot, I'd like to read it. PM me or list the similarities here in public, if you like. By the way, I help at a shelter here in Cincinnati on occasion and I don't do it to feel superior, and I'm not bragging.
__________________

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now  
Old 11-04-2012, 09:27 PM   #5863
Senior Member
 
max49's Avatar
 
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Parker, CO
Posts: 3,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
So wait, your fellow RV'ers are actually egotistical homeless people looking for freebies and handouts?

You got some brass there, bub.... Its called a High Horse. Come off it..
[moderator edit]

What's wrong here, I thought we were having fun. Do we all have to brag about putting our awnings out, BBQing, satelite dishes of course all of our slides while we wallydock. Are'nt I allowed to have my viewpoint of it? The OP was against wallydocking, why can't I agree with him?
And so what if a campground owner or any one else is against us wallydocking, the point is we should'nt be arrogant about it and invite trouble for us and Wal Mart.
__________________
Max
2018 Gulf Stream Conquest 6238 on Ford E-350 Super Duty
Parker, Colorado
max49 is offline  
Old 11-04-2012, 09:31 PM   #5864
Registered User
 
Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Indiana
Posts: 4,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Pilot View Post
I will take that bet. As I posted before there are no camp grounds in my City and I have asked 3 of the City Council members the reason for the "official" ban. They all told me the local PD asked for the ordinance.

By the way, I am not anti WalMart RV'ers as I have a few RV friends who use them as much as possible.
Can you FOI the minutes of those meetings where the ordinances were discussed?
__________________
Midniteoyl is offline  
Old 11-04-2012, 09:35 PM   #5865
Senior Member
 
UFO Pilot's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 4,610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
Can you FOI the minutes of those meetings where the ordinances were discussed?
It was passed 5 or 6 years ago and I am not willing to pay for the records. If you don't believe me that is fine, I won't lose any sleep over it.
__________________
Wayne & Roberta and Maggie the Miracle Dog
08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis
Making the Journey in our Destination

UFO Pilot is online now  
Old 11-04-2012, 09:37 PM   #5866
Senior Member
 
max49's Avatar
 
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Parker, CO
Posts: 3,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
[moderator edit]

If you somehow think there is a comparison of homeless folks and RVers staying a night at a Walmart parking lot, I'd like to read it. PM me or list the similarities here in public, if you like. By the way, I help at a shelter here in Cincinnati on occasion and I don't do it to feel superior, and I'm not bragging.
Oh come on, we are both looking for a free place to sleep where it feels safe. We're just a little more fortunate that we have a camper to sleep in.
__________________

__________________
Max
2018 Gulf Stream Conquest 6238 on Ford E-350 Super Duty
Parker, Colorado
max49 is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
camping



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
More Canadian Walmarts banning Overnight RV Parking jobriant Boondocking 77 11-18-2010 08:36 PM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.