Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-21-2010, 06:28 PM   #729

Ford Super Duty Owner
OH! well! another kick in the pants to get it going again. We're still a ways from 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by akadeadeye View Post
No doubt that is a part of their policy.
~~ Snip ~~~
We too only use Walmart when we are traveling through an area after a very long day trying to get from point A to point B or C. We do not use them in place of a campground. Campgrounds are always preferred for the quality of RV life.

Don
Hi Don
Well in fact that's what we do, overnight at Wal Marts between our true destination stops. But I can't say that campgrounds are a preferred location for us. Haven't used one since the early 70's and don't intend to unless I'm forced into one for some reason or other
(you can bet your bottom $$ I wouldn't be staying there any longer than necessary)
Cheers
Willey
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2010, 06:33 PM   #730

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by akadeadeye View Post
We too only use Walmart when we are traveling through an area after a very long day trying to get from point A to point B or C. We do not use them in place of a campground. Campgrounds are always preferred for the quality of RV life.

Don
Well said, Don! This is the way we use Wal*Marts, Cracker Barrels and other places like this that welcome overnight parking in their lots.

Stewart
Old 09-21-2010, 06:38 PM   #731
doc

Appalachian Campers
We were in Cody, Wyoming a few days ago. There is a nice WalMart there with an area that is apparently dedicated to RVs. About dusk we drove by coming from a day trip to Yellowstone in the towed and there were 24 RVs parked there. Some were 5ers with no truck attached, other were trailers (again no tow vehicle) and MHs. I would post a couple of pics, but cannot figure out how to shrink them
Old 09-21-2010, 10:40 PM   #732

Monaco Owners Club
The thread that never dies. This is good advertising for Walmart.
Old 09-22-2010, 07:33 PM   #733

I think quality of life & private rv park in the same sentence is a ridiculous. How is quality involve camping on another's sewer discharge? How is stepping in dog s_it contribute?

Seriously, most Walmarts & private rv parks are pretty much a toss up as far as pro's & con's.
Old 09-23-2010, 03:32 AM   #734

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Change Parks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five2o View Post
I think quality of life & private rv park in the same sentence is a ridiculous. How is quality involve camping on another's sewer discharge? How is stepping in dog s_it contribute?

Seriously, most Walmarts & private rv parks are pretty much a toss up as far as pro's & con's.
Wow, sounds like Five2o needs help picking out new RV parks !
Old 09-23-2010, 08:08 AM   #735

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
How is quality involve camping on another's sewer discharge? How is stepping in dog s_it contribute?
Don't know, maybe different levels of quality, from top down all the way down to $hitty I guess. Can't say I came across that at any Wal Mart I visited.

Cheers
Willey
Old 09-23-2010, 10:18 AM   #736

Arg...I sound too pissy with my above view. I Have found decent rv parks with clean sites, reasonable privacy, and responsible clientele, but these parks are not typical.

My point was while traveling I find that a rest stop, Walmart etc offer an equal 8 hour experience for rest as a randomly chosen private rv park.

My opinion only, and I think I will put Walmart in the religion/politics discussion category now haha.
Old 09-24-2010, 11:53 AM   #737

Winnebago Owners Club
Tried to count the number of times "a few hours rest" was used in this thread.

It is easy to visualize the "few hours rest" driver's eyes closing (lack of sleep) while driving, swerving across the lane devider and hitting me head-on.

Then the tire cluckers will be yelling "underinflated tires caused this". Really?

There should be a lane , with concrete barriers on each side, for the "few hours rest"
drivers. At least give the rest of us a fighting chance.

Kerry
Old 09-25-2010, 05:35 AM   #738

Monaco Owners Club
Kerry, most Motorhomeers mean to stay in a RV Resort, where we belong! Wallys is a store! at times we drive a little later and miss the CG we intended to get to! The owners of Wally are nice enough to put up with us! That will end when we screw it up! It isnt a Camping place! I have used a Wally several times in my 20 years of RV travel! What others think is fair, is fine with me, and lets face the truth, seldom do I see a camper heading for the RV with more than a small bag in their hand! So I see no large advantage to Wally to let us sleep there! We tend to be a liability! Great till they stop us! Its the big trucks with 100,000 pound loads that will be in the way! But God Bless them too! Lets face it, many Camp Grounds are being sold to developers because some prefer the cheap seats! Its hard to find FREE places to camp, so I continue to stay where we belong, to hope it keeps RV Grounds alive! Those that cant afford the Campgrounds, have to do as they must, and thats their business! allegro5
Old 09-25-2010, 02:34 PM   #739

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyeduffer View Post
In addition, we feel more secure in Flying J and WalMart than most RV parks.
While camping in southern MO about 4 years ago, the CG was temp. evacuated because of tornadic winds heading our way. Instead of following the ranger to a safe area to return shortly, I opted to stay in the motel on the grounds because I'm a female and had two young girls with me. Upon my return early the next morning, all of my things had been stolen: large 2-room cabin tent, bedding, air beds, chairs, propane stove, etc. Thankfully we'd taken our clothes and other valuables with us. The ranger wouldn't give me time to gather the rest. I've never had a problem in a CG such as this before, but I can't say I really felt more secure or safe just because it was a CG. My experience in many is that you really just have the "host", who is in bed asleep before I am.

While I haven't stayed in a parking lot yet, I will next month. When we travelled in my family's MH, the WMs were just beginning to pop up, and people weren't overnighting in them at the time. Fast forward 15 years, the MH has been sold and I now have a T@B.

I will be attending a seminar next month in a town that is bordered by two interstates. I was there recently, and stopped by the only CG within a couple miles of my seminar location. I feel I was greeted fairly rudely when I explained that I would be arriving mid week next month, with my teardrop, and was checking out the CG, could I have permission to drive through. I was told they "were very busy, with many people walking about." I could walk through, however. I was in heels, but decided to walk a bit anyway. I "think" I understand now....the place was a quarter full, possibly, and only with big rigs. My little teardrop just isn't their "type". lol BTW, I saw only one person outside of his RV.

So I will be staying on the parking lot of the seminar location. And, yes, I have permission. Had the CG been more accommodating, esp. with a woman arriving late at night, backing into a dark, wooded, CG, I would be staying with them.

When driving to the CG, I missed the road because the sign was blocked. I had to turn around and go back. When arriving at night, that's not my cup of tea. That's just me....
Old 09-25-2010, 03:01 PM   #740

You will be fine in a tear drop. The biggest problem you will have is people stopping and asking about it because they always wanted one.
Old 09-25-2010, 05:27 PM   #741

yep.

If I could buy Walmart I'd make sure they have hookups.
Old 09-25-2010, 05:50 PM   #742

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay Richards View Post
You will be fine in a tear drop. The biggest problem you will have is people stopping and asking about it because they always wanted one.
Oh, I know! Even when driving down the road, people will look and point. We're always prepared to give T@B tours.

When my grown kids are along, I won't be able to use WM or Flying J's as we'll need the add-a-room. Although I can set up on asphalt, I certainly wouldn't do that there.
Closed Thread

Tags
camping