Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-07-2010, 08:18 AM   #827

Thanks for the feedback on that Wally in Cordele. We are headed in that direction towards the end of January. My guess is that time of year we may be the only Rv in town.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2010, 09:00 AM   #828

I have that same application on my Android and it is very good. Well worth the $3.99. Passport America also has a great on that is free. Google Places also is great. It has all sorts of things including campgrounds.

Old 11-07-2010, 11:44 AM   #829

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monacoach View Post
We are planning a trip which would have involved staying overnight at a town called Cordele in Georgia on the way to Florida but the Wally closes at 10 so we decided we would stop for dinner in Cordele then move down the road 100 miles to a Flying J. You guys are making me reconsider this idea.... maybe we will stay at Wally after all. Haven't called for permission yet so maybe Wally will take the decision out of our hands.

We used to live in Cordele. The super Wally there is open all night. Overnight parking is okay. A great deal of the truckers park there to since the Truck stop a few miles north of Cordele fills up fast. Perry GA Wally has signs saying no parking but you can park over by the BBQ joint on the left side of the parking lot (they poured the parking lot too thin is why they don't allow the big rig parking). The GA Vet's State Park 12 miles down the road on that exit is one of our fav's. The only restaurant that I would reccomend to anyone in Cordele is Smoakies (out of WalMart parking lot at the light, turn left go under interstate. Past Golden Corral turn left at the next light. Wait at the RR track for the inevitable train. Turn Right when you get to the end of the road. Smoakies is on the Right hand side in a dirty whitish building). Parking is tight but the BBQ is great.
Old 11-08-2010, 12:58 PM   #830

Quote:
Smoakies is on the Right hand side in a dirty whitish building).
Sounds appetizing

Might just check out that Golden Corral. Street view shows a bunch of semi trucks parked in the back so parking looks great!
Old 11-08-2010, 02:57 PM   #831

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monacoach View Post
Sounds appetizing

Might just check out that Golden Corral. Street view shows a bunch of semi trucks parked in the back so parking looks great!
Hard to get turned around in. BTW, the truckers usually just park there because the hotel next door isn't very big rig friendly. We used to eat at the buffet there at times but preferred the Hong Kong Buffet in Perry. The Cracker Barrel is one of the better restaurants but it was one of the worst CB's we've ate at. Expect slow service and for the cook to get your order wrong... stay far away from the Denny's and the Chinese restaurant next to the grocery store... Shoney's was pretty bad as well. You have to understand... you're in Cordele. It's a Cordele thing. To give you an example of Cordele folks... Lowes was all set to come in (behind Golden Corral) but they couldn't get enough folks who were willing to work or were trainable. We used to get the same pizza a couple times a week at the local Dominos. Never paid the same thing twice. No specials or anything... just never the same price... we paid as low as $3 and as high as $10.... It was "Cordele Math".

If you want to eat at CB, you can park your rig either in the CB parking lot or at Home Depot next door.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:32 PM   #832

Folks who are not willing to work or trainable? Is this a safe place to visit?
Old 11-09-2010, 05:38 AM   #833

Vintage RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Safety is not an issue but don't break down in Cordelle, especially on a Sunday morning. Waited hours for a tow and sat for several more hours in the gas station parking lot witing for the parts store to open. They didn't have the broken hose and the good old boy mechanic fashioned one from a garden hose to finally get me on the road. This was a few years back but don't suspect it's changed much. Is Cordele still the watermelon capital of the world or has that sign come down?
Old 11-11-2010, 11:16 PM   #834

Winnebago Owners Club
walmart parking fyI

Folks I use to be a walmart manager. They want you to park in the lot and shop in the store. As long as, you are at the end of the lot and can park for several days if needed. Do let the manager know your there so they can keep and I on you for security purpose. Also go buy some goodies too.
Yes the slides can come out and awing as long as there is room.
I would not make it a permant home but if you become a regular they will get to know you.
Old 11-11-2010, 11:36 PM   #835
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beast1989 View Post
Folks I use to be a walmart manager. They want you to park in the lot and shop in the store. As long as, you are at the end of the lot and can park for several days if needed. Do let the manager know your there so they can keep and I on you for security purpose. Also go buy some goodies too.
Yes the slides can come out and awing as long as there is room.
I would not make it a permant home but if you become a regular they will get to know you.
This may have been your policy as manager of a Walmart, but the same does not go for all Walmart Managers. There are hundreds of Walmart managers who do not allow Overnight RV Parking at their stores, for many reasons including:
  • it is illegal under local ordinances
  • they've been "burned" with huge fines when RVers dumped waste tanks in storm drains in the lot
  • too many RVers parked in the lot without permission from the store, and took up 6-8 parking spaces that were needed for 6-8 customer automobiles
  • Walmart leases the parking lot, and the lot owner does not allow overnight parking.
Yes, some stores will allow stays of more than one night. But the majority of Walmarts that allow Overnight RV Parking allow it for one night only.

Yes, some stores will allow you to use slides and levelers, but a few do not allow it. Some also specify no use of generators (usually when there are residential areas adjacent to the parking lot).

Many major RV organizations urger RVers not to use awnings in retail parking lots, so that non-RVing observers (and local RV park owners) don't think the RVers are trying to turn it into a campground.

I don't doubt what you say about the policies at your own store, but they are not universal across all Walmarts in the USA and Canada.
Old 11-14-2010, 05:20 AM   #836

Walmart, truck stops, rest stops (where I'm allowed), all represent the same thing to me: A place to park long enough to rest and recover, maybe take a shower, use the bathrooms (I try not to use the coach toilet if I can help it), and stock up on consumables. For sleeping, the Walmarts tend to be the best (quiet, security patrols), and they're also the cheapest place to reload the pantry.

It's just basic courtesy to move to slots that are unlikely to be needed for other customers, and not to lay out gear like I'm settling in for the winter.
Old 11-14-2010, 11:02 AM   #837

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Rickey View Post
I try not to use the coach toilet if I can help it
Wow, to each their own, but having our own private toilet is one of the reasons we bought an RV in the first place ... !!
Old 11-14-2010, 11:17 AM   #838

We also try to do this. It just makes sense to us. We have even started calling our former black tank, the yellow tank for obvious reasons.
Old 11-14-2010, 11:28 AM   #839

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Maybe I am being just shy or lazy, but if I see two or more RV'er already staked out in the WM lot, I just park in the same area and make a quick night of it. My rationale is that the manager probably has more fish to fry than one more RV'er taking up his time trying to be friendly when that RV'er (me) is dead tired and just wants some sack time. I tend to stay there when I don't see a friendly rest area on the interstate after having put on 500-700 miles trying to get to the beach.

In my previous life, I had to attend township meetings as their engineering consultant. When the new Walmart came to town there was a quick discussion at the planning commission regarding overnight RV and truck parking. It was well known at that time that it was common at other stores. Once one commissioner made some lame argument against it, everyboby piled on and made it a condition of the site plan approval that there shall be no overnight RV or truck parking. Lame because the entry abutted a manufactured housing community (old but neat trailer park, no RV's).This was before I was an active RV'er, but even then I knew they were wrong. But seeing they were so dead set against it and they were paying my salary, I didn't make a big case of it, nor did they ask my opinion. Sometimes it is wise just to keep your mouth shut.

That particular WM is not on a route that would see much RV traffic. But I must say it never did get posted and I do see occassional RV's there for an overnight. It is not listed as a no-park store (White Lake MI)
Old 11-14-2010, 12:09 PM   #840

Quote:
Originally Posted by decodancer View Post
... don't break down in Cordelle, especially on a Sunday morning. Waited hours for a tow and sat for several more hours in the gas station parking lot witing for the parts store to open. They didn't have the broken hose and the good old boy mechanic fashioned one from a garden hose to finally get me on the road. This was a few years back but don't suspect it's changed much.
Probably not... it IS Cordele. Yes they are still The Watermelon Capital of the World. Only place that I have ever been in the south where the Blacks of MY generation (born in the 60's) and younger would call a White man "Boss". Freaked David out. I didn't believe it when he told me either. He worked in Cordele for 8 years and never did get used to it. Most of the folks that did that would not change. Cordele is... different.

Tags
camping