Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-14-2010, 12:11 PM   #841
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7ole View Post
Maybe I am being just shy or lazy, but if I see two or more RV'er already staked out in the WM lot, I just park in the same area and make a quick night of it.
I think a lot of RVers take this approach, but it can be risky. It just isn't safe to assume, when you see a couple of other RVs in a lot, that those RVers have obtained permission from the store. Too often, they haven't. I've received several reports over the years from RVers who did this, only to be evicted from the lot at 3 AM, or wake up to an expensive parking citation on their rig, or in a couple of places, both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7ole View Post
My rationale is that the manager probably has more fish to fry than one more RV'er taking up his time trying to be friendly when that RV'er (me) is dead tired and just wants some sack time.
In most stores where RVs park frequently, the manager has delegated the "RVer Permission" to the Customer Service Desk, so you don't need to take up the manager's time. Sometimes, if you call ahead, the person answering the telephone is also authorized to state the store policy regarding Overnight RV Parking. In other stores, the manager wants to grant permission personally, so he/she knows who's going to be in the lot overnight.

Either way, the corporate policy on the Walmart Corporate Website says that each RVer who wants to park overnight at one of their stores should obtain permission from the store. I try to ask permission when after shopping, so I have a cart full of merchandise with me -- so they can see that I'm a paying customer.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2010, 11:16 PM   #842

Monaco Owners Club
Well no one posting on here for a few days so will update on our local Walmart. Went in tonight and there were two class a's and a class b stopped for the night. All were well out of the way in the far corner. Local is Centennial CO.

Old 11-21-2010, 07:15 PM   #843

This is my first time to this forum and I just read this whole thread( Yes my eyes are a little sore now ) I'm going to be in Arizona next year and was looking at the Flagstaff area as a possible place to hit a Walmart to stock up and stay for the night. From all my research Flagstaff seems to be pretty restrictive when it comes to overnight stays. Does anyone have any experience in the area? My thought at the moment is that I may bypass Flagstaff totally and try the Cottonwood store. Thanks in advance for any info.

p.s. I will be using regular CG's when I head to the Grand Canyon but for a quick overnight Walmart seems ideal.
Old 11-21-2010, 07:43 PM   #844

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowtown View Post
This is my first time to this forum and I just read this whole thread( Yes my eyes are a little sore now ) I'm going to be in Arizona next year and was looking at the Flagstaff area as a possible place to hit a Walmart to stock up and stay for the night. From all my research Flagstaff seems to be pretty restrictive when it comes to overnight stays. Does anyone have any experience in the area? My thought at the moment is that I may bypass Flagstaff totally and try the Cottonwood store. Thanks in advance for any info.

p.s. I will be using regular CG's when I head to the Grand Canyon but for a quick overnight Walmart seems ideal.
Try this link and get the phone number, call ahead.

And welcome to iRV2. It's a great place to get information or be entertained. Best of both worlds.

Dave

http//www.allstays.com/c/wal-mart-locations-map.htm
Old 11-21-2010, 08:16 PM   #845
Commercial Member

Quote:
This is my first time to this forum and I just read this whole thread ...
You're a real glutton for punishment, aren't you? [LOL]

Quote:
[I'm] looking at the Flagstaff area as a possible place to hit a Walmart to stock up and stay for the night. From all my research Flagstaff seems to be pretty restrictive when it comes to overnight stays. Does anyone have any experience in the area?
The City of Flagstaff has an Anti-RV "No Overnight RV Parking" ordinance, but it appears to be seldom if ever enforced at Walmart Store # 1175 in Flagstaff. I have numerous RVer reports on this store, dating back to 2005; the most recent is from Sept 2010. All parked overnight at this store without incident. If you choose to park here, get permission from the store and park in the south part of the lot, which is also the most level area. Due to the local law, you would be parking at your own risk of enforcement.

Walmart Store # 4252 in Flagstaff is a brand new store which opened Nov. 3, 2010. I personally confirmed this new store's policy by telephone. This store will also grant permission to park overnight for one night. Again, due to the local Anti-RV "No Overnight RV Parking" ordinance, park here at your own risk.

Cracker Barrel # 297 in Flagstaff requires that RVers get permission from the store before parking overnight, and routinely grants permission, according to the 9 reports I have, all dated between Feb 2006 and July 2009.

The inexpensive campground at Fort Tuthill County Park, south of Flagstaff at I-17, Exit 337, closed for the season on Sept 30, and would not be available to you at this time of year.

Quote:
My thought at the moment is that I may bypass Flagstaff totally and try the Cottonwood store.
Walmart Supercenter # 1299 in Cottonwood allows Overnight RV Parking, and requires that RVers obtain permission, in accordance with Walmart Corporate Policy. The lot isn't level; the most level area is along the curb at the east edge of the lot, which is furthest from the store and is thus where the store wants you to park anyway.
Old 11-21-2010, 08:53 PM   #846

Thanks for the quick responses. Its a shame that Flagstaff has put an ordinance like that in place but probably due to abuse in the past. Good to know that the local Walmarts are still trying to do their part.
Old 11-22-2010, 02:18 PM   #847

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
If you're heading to the Grand Canyon, be sure to check out Railside RV Park in Williams. The 2010 National iRV2 was held there. The campground is not fancy, but probably has the friendliest and most helpful owners of any park we've been in.
Old 12-09-2010, 09:27 AM   #848

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Wal-Mart Listing Book

Which one do most use?
Old 12-09-2010, 09:31 AM   #849
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Stop in a Walmart store they sell maps at the book section. Look for the one that lists Walmart locations. The map cost either $6.00 or $15.00, I'm positive it was like $6.00 about 2 months ago.

It lists Walmart & Sam's Clubs.
See My RV Upgrades
Old 12-09-2010, 11:11 AM   #850

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Earl.
Even after you get your map or book, always drive around the WalMart parking lot and look on the light posts for signs that state NO OVERNIGHT PARKING.
Wallyworld is changing thier minds daily.
Then if you park-go talk to the manager !! They have patrols in some areas that run the lots at night.
Try to post a thread on iRV2 and get some feedback from RVers that have had problems.

Larry
Old 12-09-2010, 11:24 AM   #851

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrygrandpa View Post
Earl.
Even after you get your map or book, always drive around the WalMart parking lot and look on the light posts for signs that state NO OVERNIGHT PARKING.
Wallyworld is changing thier minds daily.
Then if you park-go talk to the manager !! They have patrols in some areas that run the lots at night.
Try to post a thread on iRV2 and get some feedback from RVers that have had problems.

Larry
Thanks Larry,

We will be heading down 95 to Florida over the Christmas holiday. When we made the trip at Thanksgiving, we spent one night at a Flying J and the one employee felt the need to pressure wash the pumps at 3am!! He had the whole RV section awake. So we thought about staying in a WalMart on the way down.
Old 12-09-2010, 11:31 AM   #852

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejm4 View Post
Thanks Larry,

We will be heading down 95 to Florida over the Christmas holiday. When we made the trip at Thanksgiving, we spent one night at a Flying J and the one employee felt the need to pressure wash the pumps at 3am!! He had the whole RV section awake. So we thought about staying in a WalMart on the way down.
You must keep in mind that while we are sleeping (or trying to) others are in the middle of their work day.... When I owned my tractor trailer I depended on these truck stops to be there in the middle of the night because that's when most of my driving took place....
Old 12-09-2010, 11:38 AM   #853
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I forgot to mention the book/map is a regular size Rand road map book it says Walmart locations on the front cover.

So it does serve double duty.
See My RV Upgrades
Old 12-09-2010, 12:27 PM   #854

Freightliner Owners Club
Invest in the book called The Next Exit - available on Amazon and at truck stops. For every interstate in the country, you see EVERYTHING that is at every exit - truck stops, walmarts, etc.

I also use www.allstays.com. You can drill down by state and see what Wal Mart will allow overnight parking.

RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
Closed Thread

Tags
camping