Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-09-2010, 02:08 PM   #855

I use the combination of The Next Exit and http://http://www.allstays.com/c/camping-overnight-rv-parking.htm Because you really need to keep your options open in case your first choice for parking isn't a good choice or it's not allowed. I try to run two or three potential stops for the night unless I'm pretty sure that I can stay the night at my first location. We pull off the road just before sunset (when the sun is blinding us when heading west!)

Allstays has a list of overnight parking places than just Wal-Mart...

Wal-Mart Stores
Kmart Stores
Target Stores
Sam's Club Stores
Costco Stores
Meijer Stores
Camping Worlds
Cracker Barrels
Lowes Stores
Menards Stores
Flying J Truck Stops
Loves Travel Stops
Pacific Pride Fuel Stops
Petro Truck Stops
Pilot Travel Centers
TA Travel Centers
All Truck Stops on one map
Rest Areas
Weigh Scales

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2010, 02:32 PM   #856

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackf3504dr View Post
You must keep in mind that while we are sleeping (or trying to) others are in the middle of their work day.... When I owned my tractor trailer I depended on these truck stops to be there in the middle of the night because that's when most of my driving took place....

I understand the business very well (operate two commerical fleet maintance facilities.)

I was only commenting and the annoyance of the gas powered pressure washer at 3am. I knew going in it was a FREE place to stay and certain noises are beyond my control. Before we left @ 3:30am, I went inside to purchase a coffee and several other men and children were up and grabbing a snack before they hit the road from the early wake up call.

Old 12-09-2010, 03:59 PM   #857
Moderator Emeritus

I always use Overnight RV Parking. It's a subscription site $25/year), but the completeness and accuracy of the info makes it well worth while. Over 8000 places listed - not just Walmarts.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Old 12-10-2010, 03:29 PM   #858

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Come on guys, no post in almost 3 weeks.., only 847 (now 848) posts, what happen to the goal of hitting 1000 posts! Time to crank up the Wally World comments again..
Old 12-10-2010, 03:34 PM   #859

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Sorry
I didn't realize that the count clock was ticking. Don't have any current Walmart stories but
am sure others will
Mike d
Old 12-10-2010, 04:53 PM   #860

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I found that on a recent trip to the east coast that there are very few rv parks or campgrounds especially after October 15th. That when they close for the winter, after veterans day. That leaves no alternative but to use Walmart or another big box store.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Old 12-10-2010, 04:56 PM   #861
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
I found that on a recent trip to the east coast that there are very few rv parks or campgrounds especially after October 15th. That when they close for the winter, after veterans day. That leaves no alternative but to use Walmart or another big box store.
You are correct. Slim pickin's from here on north.

Old 12-10-2010, 05:21 PM   #862

Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hello everybody;
On the weekend of Nov.19-21 we went to Wash. DC to Fedex Field for a college football game. Stopped at the local Wal-Mart about 5 mins. from the stadium.We parked out front and there was a local police officer in his car in front of Wal-Mart,(a first for me),I was asking if I was at the right one, I went to check with the manager about staying over night,(another officer inside,) he,the manager, gave me this look like what are you talking about, I tried to explain to him we have an RV and want to stay in the parking lot, several times.As I am explaining what Iwanted to do I noticed the store security guards counting the items in the shoppers carts and marking their reciet,(another first).I couldn't get threw to the manager,the officer inside said he didn't see any problem about staying,after i was telling him where we were going , he was giving me directions to Fedex Field,then said this was a ROUGH neighbor hood.So listened to my gut feeling and left,we were suppose to meet friends there,but changed plans and met them at Bugabo Steak House at the Capital One Center,DON'T eat there TERRIBLE.
We ended up staying at the local Wegmans super market.Less than 5 mins. from stadium,and we had a great Tailgate and game.
Old 12-10-2010, 05:25 PM   #863

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We ended up staying at the local Wegmans super market.Less than 5 mins. from stadium,and we had a great Tailgate and game.[/QUOTE]

.....PENN STATE!!!!
Old 12-10-2010, 05:44 PM   #864

Newmar Owners Club
On my way from St. Louis to Texas my first stop was at the walmart in Springfield, MO. I called the manager for permission and the preferred area to park. I was told to park down by the main road on the garden center side and that's where we spent the night. When I awoke the next morning and opened the door there was a tractor/trailer parked about a foot from my open door. When I looked around there were about eight other tractor/trailer trucks parked in the area. I spotted a sign on one of the light poles and when I was in range of reading it, it said “Truck Parking not Allowed.”
Old 12-10-2010, 08:24 PM   #865

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
For a real thrill go to the Walmart in Homestead, Florida. The shoppers children are trying to break into the registers in the unocupied checkout lanes. Neither the emplyees nor the parents gave them a second look. It is absolute chaos. I can't imagine what it would be like to spend the night there.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Old 12-10-2010, 10:22 PM   #866
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
OK then went to go to WM about 4 or 5 weeks ago in Courtland NY off I81 (exit 11 or 12) went through town found the WM sign pulled into the parking lot and the store was empty.

A week or two later I went farther west on the same road and found the new WM store same street (a little farther west out of town)and a bigger store with a parking lot not shared by any other stores.
See My RV Upgrades
Old 12-10-2010, 11:19 PM   #867

Monaco Owners Club
Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackf3504dr View Post
You must keep in mind that while we are sleeping (or trying to) others are in the middle of their work day.... When I owned my tractor trailer I depended on these truck stops to be there in the middle of the night because that's when most of my driving took place....
Just wanted to echo this point. Also use to drive truck and now work as an RN, to many people forget the world goes on 24 hours a day.
Old 12-11-2010, 12:39 AM   #868

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJay View Post
When I awoke the next morning and opened the door there was a tractor/trailer parked about a foot from my open door. When I looked around there were about eight other tractor/trailer trucks parked in the area. I spotted a sign on one of the light poles and when I was in range of reading it, it said “Truck Parking not Allowed.”
When I broke down in October, CoachNet towed me to a WalMart because it was a Saturday night and they couldn't find an open repair shop to help me. They had called ahead and gotten permission for me to stay there. I was sitting there the next day waiting to arrange for repairs and a trucker backed in about 2 or 3 feet away from my extended steps. I stepped out and shrugged my hands at him like "what's up?" He said that he was planning on staying there overnight, like what's the big deal. I explained to him that I had broken down and I would either have someone coming to work on my right front brake or tow me out . . . he offered to move. You could have easily parked 20 or 30 more trucks in this secluded back side of the complex. I wonder what the deal is with them parking so close to an RV??

Closed Thread

Tags
camping