Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-24-2011, 08:25 PM   #1009
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselclacker View Post
So I guess the question is, does dumping 3 gallons of used mortor oil down a storm drain constitute an emergency that warrants calling 911?

Dieselclacker
If there is a statue in effect that says it is a criminal act then yes it warrants a call.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2011, 09:29 PM   #1010
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
If there is a statue in effect that says it is a criminal act then yes it warrants a call.
I found this on another page of that .gov site:
Quote:

An emergency is any situation that requires immediate assistance from the police, fire department or ambulance. Examples include:
  • A fire
  • A crime, especially if in progress
  • A car crash, especially if someone is injured
  • A medical emergency, such as someone who is unconscious, gasping for air or not breathing, experiencing an allergic reaction, having chest pain, having uncontrollable bleeding, or any other symptoms that require immediate medical attention
I would think most states consider illegal motor oil dumping a criminal offense but I don't know that I'd take the time to search the state gov'ts website to find out before I called to report the perp.

Lori-
Old 01-24-2011, 09:39 PM   #1011

Dumping hazardous waste is a crime. If you see it happening, then it is a crime in progress. I've only had to call 911 on my cell phone once (fire on I75 caused by car with flat tire). Call when directly to the appropriate 911 call center (a concern I had since I was just south of Chattanooga at the Ft Oglethorpe GA Exit and I had a cell phone with a Chattanooga exchange).
Old 01-24-2011, 10:02 PM   #1012
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
On our storm drains it is stenciled "Illegal to Dump Waste or Oil Products" or some words to that affect. At least the words Illegal to Dump is there.

As for calling 911, since it is illegal I would state that no one would get in trouble for calling 911. Our city of 40,000+ has one police stations, and one dispatch section. I you call the regular 7 digit phone number you can select where you want to be directed. Most times it is to the dispatcher, since they are the ones that are going to put out the call. They have the means to screen incoming calls and one that is on the regular 7 digit line can be put on hold if another line lights up as 911.

Have you ever called a dispatcher, either by 7 digits or 911. You cannot hang up your phone. That is, you can hang up, but the line will remain open until the dispatcher wants to close it.

There is no such thing as an anonymous phone call to a 911. They have your number registered on their monitor once you call them. They have the legal authority to do a reverse look-up on all phone numbers. If you need to be anonymous then use a pay phone and wear gloves.

The Walmart manager should have shown more interest, but then, they may have been directed by HQ to not interfere with outside activity.

Edited: Shucks! I was close. Only 12 off of 1000.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Old 01-24-2011, 10:58 PM   #1013

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Personally, IMHO, it wouldn't warrant a 911, but definitely a call to the police with a description, a call to the State DNR, and then a call to Walmart regional to let them know about the manager...

Oh, and all Walmart parking lots are filmed...
Old 01-25-2011, 02:21 AM   #1014
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Congratulations everyone! At one time I did not see this thread making it this far. We had a couple of bumps in the road but it is still alive and well. There is a lot of good that can come out of this discussion; just keep things civil and don't get personal.
I think I would have walked up to the two dumping the oil and said something straight to them. Hopefully preventing them from doing so if the timing were right. Most places that sell motor oil also will take used motor oil for recycling. We need to do our part in educating the ignorant as to how to properly dispose of things that will effect our environment and cost us tax payers more money to clean up the mess.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
Old 01-25-2011, 03:33 AM   #1015

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Why not just turn in a license plate number. They must have had some type of transportation.
Old 01-25-2011, 05:49 AM   #1016

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Not to drag on the oil thing but must municipal police departments have a "non-emergency" number to call. If possible in a situation like the oil dumping I would attempt to find that number and call first. Let them determine the severity of the problem and not tie up a 911 operator. Get a plate number and description and see what they say. I do understand that while traveling it isn't always easy to do since you may not even be sure what township you are in and a local phone book is becoming a thing of the past. In this case the Walmart manager should have taken action.
Old 01-25-2011, 06:11 AM   #1017

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Dumping oil or waste water in a storm drain involves two issues. First a person doing an illegal activity. The best way to get immediate response from the PD is to call 911 to catch the perp while he is still there. And you don't need to take the time and fustration to look up any other number.

Second is the necessity of responding to an environmental spill. Here again, in many communities, the fire department is the first responder for spills, and they are contacted most easily through the 911 system. And they certainly have the phone numbers to call in the next line of defense, whether it be the state DEQ, EPA, or the local licensed spill cleanup contractor. And somebody needs to pay for the cleanup, hence, getting the collar on the guy dumping the oil.

A quick response is necessary in order to contain the spill from going too far down the pipe and reaching the stream, lake or ocean.

If the officials decide to do nothing, at least you have done your part. And the best response is to simply yell out "HEY DON"T DO THAT", to keep it from happening in the first place. These guys know they shouldn't be doing that and sometimes, all it takes to keep them honest is a firm reminder.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:28 AM   #1018

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Wizard View Post
Congratulations everyone! At one time I did not see this thread making it this far. We had a couple of bumps in the road but it is still alive and well. There is a lot of good that can come out of this discussion; just keep things civil and don't get personal.
I think I would have walked up to the two dumping the oil and said something straight to them. Hopefully preventing them from doing so if the timing were right. Most places that sell motor oil also will take used motor oil for recycling. We need to do our part in educating the ignorant as to how to properly dispose of things that will effect our environment and cost us tax payers more money to clean up the mess.
I did but I don't speak spanish. They didn't stop so I looked for the roaving security. As they say never can find a cop when you need one. Went into the store, took 5 min. or so for the manager to get to me. After I finished telling him about the indecent and went back to my car the 2 men were gone.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:29 AM   #1019

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Z View Post
Why not just turn in a license plate number. They must have had some type of transportation.
Florida, no front tag and my action was to get security or the manager. When I went back they were gone.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:12 AM   #1020

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I wonder if you can order a pizza by calling 911, and if so is extra cheese an option.

Dieselclacker
Old 01-25-2011, 08:13 AM   #1021
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
Personally, IMHO, it wouldn't warrant a 911, but definitely a call to the police with a description, a call to the State DNR, and then a call to Walmart regional to let them know about the manager...

Oh, and all Walmart parking lots are filmed...
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4Mark View Post
Not to drag on the oil thing but must municipal police departments have a "non-emergency" number to call. If possible in a situation like the oil dumping I would attempt to find that number and call first. Let them determine the severity of the problem and not tie up a 911 operator. Get a plate number and description and see what they say. I do understand that while traveling it isn't always easy to do since you may not even be sure what township you are in and a local phone book is becoming a thing of the past. In this case the Walmart manager should have taken action.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7ole View Post
Dumping oil or waste water in a storm drain involves two issues. First a person doing an illegal activity. The best way to get immediate response from the PD is to call 911 to catch the perp while he is still there. And you don't need to take the time and fustration to look up any other number.

Second is the necessity of responding to an environmental spill. Here again, in many communities, the fire department is the first responder for spills, and they are contacted most easily through the 911 system. And they certainly have the phone numbers to call in the next line of defense, whether it be the state DEQ, EPA, or the local licensed spill cleanup contractor. And somebody needs to pay for the cleanup, hence, getting the collar on the guy dumping the oil.

A quick response is necessary in order to contain the spill from going too far down the pipe and reaching the stream, lake or ocean.

If the officials decide to do nothing, at least you have done your part. And the best response is to simply yell out "HEY DON"T DO THAT", to keep it from happening in the first place. These guys know they shouldn't be doing that and sometimes, all it takes to keep them honest is a firm reminder.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikron View Post
I did but I don't speak spanish. They didn't stop so I looked for the roaving security. As they say never can find a cop when you need one. Went into the store, took 5 min. or so for the manager to get to me. After I finished telling him about the indecent and went back to my car the 2 men were gone.
Up here in the UP of Michigan which covers a pretty large area you can not call most agencies listed directly with out being in the know of how to get their unpublished telephone numbers everything is intended to go through "Central Dispatch 911" operated by the Michigan state Police who have protocols in place for just about all situations.

Manpower being what it is the whole of the UP is covered from one Central Dispatch after hours versus several Centrals during "normal" working hours. Most areas here after hours have no police protection and very minimal Sheriff and State Police patrols after hours. Most Fire departments are the Volunteer type.

People are encouraged to use the Enhanced 911 System which plots all incoming calls with phone numbers as well as GPS positioning. Even the funky "I'm locked out of my car"

Now as for the NAFTA when you see a semi tractor with a 5 man team from Mexico driving down the road be aware they only stop to refuel if ever needed and pick or deliver, I mention this as it's a well known fact in the towing industry that when you go to tow one in be prepared if you get under the vehicle that they have access covers cut into the floor so they can take their "nature" breaks via that hole. One big mobile"Porta John", to me that's worse than the oil especially if your behind one with the "Hersey Squirts"
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
Old 01-25-2011, 08:59 AM   #1022

Im surprised they didnt send a swat team to catch this guy.
Closed Thread

Tags
camping