Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-18-2009, 01:49 AM   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abnmarine View Post
I will say that we "broke in" both campers that weekend.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2009, 01:16 PM   #114

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
I just call it what it is, "Extended Shopping!"

Oh! And on many occasions when my dear wife decides to visit a Walmart when we are IN a campground, I will sit in the TOAD and "rest" with my eyes closed, and even snore sometimes. Is that camping???? I might have even eaten a Burrito or three. Maybe that's just picnicking.
Yes it's becoming much clearer to me now the proper term is Resting, that is what we're doing
During our rest stops at Wal Marts this past summer I noticed people not in RV's also enjoying a rest. At one WM, Regina SK there was a car with a young couple parked on the perimeter. They had a stereo (maybe more) plugged into a 120VAC outlet on a post. Guess it was really meant for vehicles in Winter time but hey it was summer and the outlets were not in use anyway. Nice couple, I believe they thought I was security because I was walking with our little dog (about 100 lbs). They were still there in the morning so they must have had a good rest. Now at several WM's I seen similar couples resting for the night The mini vans looked to be more comfortable than the cars and even had curtains on the windows. Now since any vehicle other than commercial vehicles could be considered to be an RV, then the vehicles are parked and the occupants are resting.
Well now it certainly makes sense to me so Happy Resting at Wal Mart in the New Year

Cheers
Willey

Old 12-18-2009, 02:28 PM   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobriant View Post
The Borough of Carlisle has a local ordinance that forbids occupancy of a vehicle "for temporary or permanent living purposes" for longer than five minutes, from 10:00 PM to 6:00 AM. The penalty for violation of this ordinance is a fine up to $600 and/or imprisonment for up to 30 days.
Thanks for the heads up. Now I can place the Borough of Carlisle on my "no need to stop" list.
Old 12-18-2009, 02:32 PM   #116
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilleyB View Post
Yes it's becoming much clearer to me now the proper term is Resting, that is what we're doing ... Now since any vehicle other than commercial vehicles could be considered to be an RV, then the vehicles are parked and the occupants are resting.
Well now it certainly makes sense to me so Happy Resting at Wal Mart in the New Year
Willey, you can play all the word games you like, but if what you're doing is illegal under the terms and definitions of the applicable law, you can argue until you're blue in the face that you were "just resting." You'll still get a ticket.

And you can tell the judge over and over again that you were "just resting." You'll still end up paying the fine.

The only way to park an RV overnight and avoid a ticket is to park where it's legal, and if on private property, park with the permission of the property owner or the owner's designated representative.
Old 12-18-2009, 02:37 PM   #117

The most common reasons that I choose a Wal-Mart over a campground are:
#1 convenience. If I am just trying to get from point A to point B I will likely be driving all day and just need a place to stop, rest and go again.
#2 I understand that most campers want amenities and in order to pay for these the campgrounds must charge what they do. If I am overnighting, I don't want or need any of these amenities but have to pay for them anyway. If the campgrounds had a "in after 5, out by 9" (or similar) policy with a discounted rate I would be more likely to make the extra effort to find them just so I could get hookups.
Old 12-18-2009, 05:59 PM   #118

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Willey, you can play all the word games you like, but if what you're doing is illegal under the terms and definitions of the applicable law, you can argue until you're blue in the face that you were "just resting." You'll still get a ticket.
LOL Jim this is not for real, tongue in cheek, word games are for the forum WM police (CG Groupies etc) nothing serious. I do play the game very carefully, will push the envelope when backed, and do know the difference in Municipal and criminal law. I have a lawyer friend to advise me so I do thread very carefully within the boundary.
The parts about the people overnighting in cars and mini vans is true and the ones at WM plugged into the 120 AC is true, It's not hard to guess why.
I do overnight on "No Overnight Parking" signed lots when I know or have checked out if it's enforced or not. Not to say I'll never get cited, but we left home 17 June and arrived home last week in August and didn't stay at a camp ground in all that time

Cheers
Willey
Old 12-18-2009, 07:19 PM   #119

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Adams View Post
The most common reasons that I choose a Wal-Mart over a campground are:
#1 convenience. If I am just trying to get from point A to point B I will likely be driving all day and just need a place to stop, rest and go again.
(1) Bill, like yourself while traveling, we just want a place stop, sleep and go again. No amenities wanted or needed. After the evening meal, dishes done, dog walked and a little recap of the days events and next days plans it's time for sleep. In the morning it's wash, breakfast, walk the dog and we're on the road again.
Quote:
#2 I understand that most campers want amenities and in order to pay for these the campgrounds must charge what they do. If I am overnighting, I don't want or need any of these amenities but have to pay for them anyway.
(2) Why I wont use campgrounds (OK the groupies can call me cheapskate )
(A) The camp ground fee is for a day and a night (let's say 24hrs including all amenities inclusive in the fee)
(B) I only want a 12 hr stop, no amenities, but still I'm expected to pay for the whole hog which is the 12 hours plus amenities that I don't use.
(C) I expect to get value for my dollar spent, I don't give them away, the gas tank uses them up readily enough and I expect to receive fair trade. I like being on the highway traveling, seeing different places. Now if that's being a cheapskate, so be it as it really doesn't bother me.
(D) I've read enough camp ground complaints on the forums to know we'd not enjoy what is referred to as camping on these forums. It's not for us we do our own thing which is what we enjoy.
Quote:
If the campgrounds had a "in after 5, out by 9" (or similar) policy with a discounted rate I would be more likely to make the extra effort to find them just so I could get hookups.
Bill I only know about our own Provincial Accommodation Act. If the owner of any property is renting any type of camping space, the Amenities of water, showers and toilets must be available to all, so it wouldn't be practical for the discounted rate, (fair trade and all that sort) it's a good idea but would depend on the Accommodation property laws in each State or Province.

The only amenities we need is a place to dump the tanks and fill with potable water. We've dumped at Flying J's (they were the worst) at Water treatment plants, Parks,In most cases these were free. The best of all I found were the Pay locations that had potable water flush water and the dump. ($5 to $10)

Cheers
Willey
Old 12-18-2009, 08:04 PM   #120

Quote:
Bill I only know about our own Provincial Accommodation Act. If the owner of any property is renting any type of camping space, the Amenities of water, showers and toilets must be available to all, so it wouldn't be practical for the discounted rate, (fair trade and all that sort) it's a good idea but would depend on the Accommodation property laws in each State or Province.
I never said that they should not offer all of their services, but the chances are that if you get in late and leave early you will not be using many (any?) of the facilities other than the hook-ups at the campground. I am willing to pay for these services should they be available at a reasonable cost but if they are not, I'm OK with that as well. I just won't stop by.
I have to say that your posts do come off as making you sound like a cheapskate but who ever said you aren't allowed to be cheap? I am cheap when it makes the most sense for me and I spend my money when it makes the most sense for me. No one is going to tell me when, where or how I have to spend the money that I worked so hard to earn.
Old 12-18-2009, 08:38 PM   #121

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
I have to say that your posts do come off as making you sound like a cheapskate
Hey that's OK! I'd like to be because the wife spends enough for the two of us or maybe three

Cheers
Willey

Vanguard bought in 2005 hasn't been in a camp ground since a lot of dollars spent along the road though.
Old 12-19-2009, 02:20 PM   #122

The straw that broke the camels back for us was an over night stay at a Campground in Medora, ND. We had asked for a basic site, but they only had sites left with as I recall water & electric service A/C and sewer. They really wanted to give us a full service including higher price but we declined ( the site had all the services).Since we were only there for the night and it was already late. When we left in the early morning we searched for the Sewer Dump. We were told there is a fee. We explained that we just stayed at the Campground. Again we were told that there is a fee. By the way this was in the late '80s.
More of a reason to search for free or state park or WH,KM for simple over nite 8 hour stays.
Robert
Old 12-19-2009, 06:09 PM   #123

Quote:
Vanguard bought in 2005 hasn't been in a camp ground since
WELL Willey, different "RVers" certainly hold widely differing views and choices as to what Rving means, and is important to THEM - yours and those like you, to whom the asphalt and neon lights of Walmart hold a "special charm" and primary interest as to where their travels start, and then end, are quite different from ours, and must have some rather unusual picture scrapbooks to show friends and relatives regarding their "RV adventures".

Here's just a few of ours - some were essentially overnite CG stays, others longer periods - take a look, and see what's missing from what must be in YOUR scrapbook:

"Missing" in ours?

The asphalt, the neon lights - but certainly NOT the memories, scenery, and good times!

We'll pick up the "Walmart bargains" NEXT time we happen to drive over there in our car - to some of us RVers, the TRIP can be as scenic and enjoyable as the DESTINATION...

'88 Kit Companion, '88 Winnegago Super Chief - NEVER "camped" on a business parking lot - never WILL!

To each his own - by all means, DO enjoy your RV experiences as you see fit!
Old 12-20-2009, 01:57 AM   #124
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilleyB View Post
...this is not for real, tongue in cheek, word games are for the forum WM police (CG Groupies etc) nothing serious.
When someone talks about being able to park and sleep overnight in their RV where it's illegal, under the pretense of "I'm just resting," it just doesn't fly with me. In my opinion, a discussion of the legalities of Overnight RV Parking isn't the place for "word games" that may well lead someone else into being ticketed, evicted from a parking location, having their RV towed to impound, or all three.

But then, since I run a website devoted to Overnight RV Parking, and where it is and isn't allowed, I probably take this topic a lot more seriously than some folks do.
Old 12-20-2009, 06:18 AM   #125

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrier2 View Post
The straw that broke the camels back for us was an over night stay at a Campground in Medora, ND. We had asked for a basic site, but they only had sites left with as I recall water & electric service A/C and sewer. They really wanted to give us a full service including higher price but we declined ( the site had all the services).Since we were only there for the night and it was already late. When we left in the early morning we searched for the Sewer Dump. We were told there is a fee. We explained that we just stayed at the Campground. Again we were told that there is a fee. By the way this was in the late '80s.
More of a reason to search for free or state park or WH,KM for simple over nite 8 hour stays.
Robert
One bad CG experience over 20 years ago and all overnight CGs are condemned. WOW
Old 12-20-2009, 08:19 AM   #126

This was just an example! Not the norm!
Twenty five years of Camping creates lots of examples both good and bad all cannot and should not be posted. I felt this was germane to the discussion.
All overnite Campgrounds are not condemned this was the type of experience that has happened to us on more then one occasion. We have found and do what works for us.
Robert

Tags
camping