Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-29-2011, 11:29 PM   #3263

Where Black? Grey has a nice smile.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2011, 12:57 AM   #3264

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Nice smile..
Old 11-30-2011, 02:44 AM   #3265

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
Well... There was Black Friday:

If they were paying me to buy stuff I wouldn't be anywhere near that mess.
Old 11-30-2011, 05:28 AM   #3266

Old 11-30-2011, 07:31 AM   #3267

Alpine Owners Club
We often see RV's and even Semi's boondocking in our 3 local Walmarts. During our last road trip to Anaheim, CA driving through the Mojave Desert in the middle of the night, I was wishing for a Walmart or even a wide enough spot to pull out for awhile...No more taking hiway 395 instead of I-5 !
Old 11-30-2011, 07:46 AM   #3268

Fleetwood Owners Club
Every year I buy a road map from Walmart. It lists every Walmart that's within 2 miles of every major hwy in the US. It gives you the exit number from the Hwy you're traveling. Walmart does this so that RV travelers will know where to spend the night. Sam Walton loved RV people. We spend a lot of money at his stores.

I really don't stay at Walmarts to save money. It's just so easy. At camp grounds I have to park, go to the office, fill out paper work, find my spot, back in, and then hook everything up. All I want is 12 or 14 hours of rest, and then back on the road for sight seeing and travel. I stay at a campground when I reach my destination.
Old 11-30-2011, 10:06 AM   #3269

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by geejdee View Post
On my last trip out of state, covering 4000 miles, I stayed at 5 walmarts and 2 truck stops. Didn't have any problems and picked up a few items. Walmarts are great for a few hours of sleep. However at two of my stops I notice jacks down and slides out.
Hi geejdee!

Sounds like you had an enjoyable trip. If you noticed jacks and slides in use, you probably didn't notice them having any problems, either, right? Wal-Mart, in granting permission to RV'ers to spend the night, expect them to use their RV's as RV's. That would include the use of jacks and slides when needed. Generators, too! Wal-Mart does not exclude the use of either, in my experience, when granting permission.

There are a few folks that like to try to control what others do with their possessions and time. They will cite "recommendations" and "policies" and "practicies" but none of these are as a result of WM denying their use.

Common sense always applies. If you are at a smaller WM in a residential area and your generator may disturb the neighbors, maybe you wouldn't use it, but there are no hard and fast rules.

Here's hoping you'll continue your enjoyment of WM's generosity for a long time to come. It really is convenient, isn't it!
Old 11-30-2011, 10:42 AM   #3270

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tileman View Post
Every year I buy a road map from Walmart. It lists every Walmart that's within 2 miles of every major hwy in the US. It gives you the exit number from the Hwy you're traveling. Walmart does this so that RV travelers will know where to spend the night. Sam Walton loved RV people. We spend a lot of money at his stores.

I really don't stay at Walmarts to save money. It's just so easy. At camp grounds I have to park, go to the office, fill out paper work, find my spot, back in, and then hook everything up. All I want is 12 or 14 hours of rest, and then back on the road for sight seeing and travel. I stay at a campground when I reach my destination.
Right on, Tileman! It really is all about convenience. Many times, WM IS our destination. We tend to travel and sight-see all day and just need a spot to spend the night, sometimes two if we need to be in an area for a couple days.

Campgrounds give me the creeps. I can't stand being as close to another RV as most campgrounds are designed. Give me the wide-open spaces of a WM parking lot, anytime!
Old 11-30-2011, 10:59 AM   #3271

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by catonine View Post
I have never stayed at a WM lot, but would if the need came up. A couple years ago we had mechanical trouble and we pulled into a WM lot. It appeared we would be stuck there overnight so I asked the Manager about staying the night and he said no problem, he even showed me the best place to stay. Fortunately I was able to make needed repair and we moved on.

WM comes through, again! It's good to know they are available when needed, isn't it? Glad your misfortune was short-lived and you were able to make the repair in their lot.

If its ok with WM, then I would surely stay if need came up.

You betcha!

I do understand those that feel its not right and respect their view on the matter.

We disagree, here. I don't respect their view. What is not right about a private property owner granting pemission to someone to spend the night on their property?

I do think that we RVers , should never misuse the hospitality afforded by WM or any other place that lets us stay over. Just my opinion.
Excellent opinion but it really goes without saying. Common sense always applies. Leave it cleaner than you found it, try not to get too close to others, don't block lanes of traffic, try not to do anything that calls attention to yourself, all just common sense.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:04 AM   #3272

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
Well... There was Black Friday:

I've often thought that Black Friday would be an excellent use of an RV. But, don't like getting up that early and don't like fighting crowds. Still, for those that want to partake, an RV provides the most comfort available.
Old 11-30-2011, 12:23 PM   #3273

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Walmart Black Friday started at 10pm Thurday... Most others were midnight. Eat, shop, sleep... Done.
Old 11-30-2011, 12:55 PM   #3274

Wally Docking Log. Star Date 2011. Captain Cross America.
I did a 7 week cross country and back trip this Fall. Stayed at maybe 10 WalMarts. The highs and lows
First night - Found that I had chosen the side of the lot that was next to the local drag strip. Imports with weed wacker exhausts were buzzing until midnight.
Second night - A fellow docker ran his cheap/loud genny all night.
Third and fourth nights, parked in the lot but stayed with friends overnight. Shared a bed with their dog at times, which was OK with me because I had left my pooch at home.
The next few nights were in truck stops. Quite noisy with tractors running all night, in & out traffic almost all night.
Spent a week parked at a friend's farm in Montana. Ah, finally some peace & quiet.....................At least until the roosters at dawn.
Next stops were campgrounds in Glacier National Park. The KOA in West Glacier was very nice.
In Seattle, I stayed at an RV Park near the city. Next to the Interstate, so the buzz of traffic was constant.
On the way back, I stayed again at the Drag Strip Walmart (#1 above), and parked on the other side. At about 6PM there were 3 fire engines gathered near the entrance. They kept running around the lot with the sirens blasting until 9PM. I guess they were giving rides. All I could do was crank up the sound on the TV.
The good news is that at WalMart you never have to smell the smoke from a few dozen people trying to build fires with wet wood or listen to hunters buzz around the campsite on their quads. And the prices at the "camp store" are always better at Wallys.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
Old 11-30-2011, 02:51 PM   #3275

It seems here in Southern Calif. a shopper sprayed pepper spray into the crowd, on black friday, to get the people away from the X-box's on sale so they would not be sold out.

The movie will be out soon. "When Walmartians Attack.
Old 11-30-2011, 07:15 PM   #3276

Walmart Parking

We stay as often as possible in Walmart if it is just a quick overnight rest, in late and out early. We also buy supplies, it's easier than packing everything for long trip. We purchased an Atlas from Walmart that list all their stores and we use it. Thank You Walmart.
Closed Thread

Tags
camping