Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-12-2012, 10:46 AM   #3949

Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timblin
Just returned from 7 month sojourn in a great loop through the midwest, southwest, California, Gulf Coast and East Coast. During that time we overnighted at Walmarts more than 30 nights. No hassles, no midnight expulsions. We will send a note of thanks to the corporation. We also bought all of our groceries and supplies there so its a two way street!

By any chance does anyone save the reciepts from the Walmart stops as they travel? If the $ amount is known to whomever you send the "thanks for parking" note, it might go a long way in relaxing some restrictions we face.
Safe Travels...
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2012, 11:08 AM   #3950

maybe to someone that only read that post, but it was in direct response to a post that was on-topic and did mention Walmart.

Old 04-12-2012, 12:08 PM   #3951

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madrona View Post

This is the Wal-Mart parking thread. There is no mention of WM in any of this post. Overnighting at WM is NOT about money. It is about convenience. Most (not all) folks that can afford to travel in an RV can afford to stay at a campground. Most folks posting in this thread prefer NOT to stay at a campground for various reasons. I wouldn't stay in a campground even at $10 per night for limited services. I just don't like them. I do however enjoy the convenience of WM parking lots and stores as we travel about in our motorhome.
It may not be a matter of money for you, but others have stated otherwise.
It sounds as though you (Madrona) are a full timer traveling around to see the country. Thats a bit different than people who are vacationing.
Its like the difference of camping or just traveling. If your TT is your home, then finding a new and exciting CG is probably not important to you as being able to just see the area sites and attractions.
Where you stay whether it be Walmart a CG or a Hilton is just a matter of preference. For those RV camping, trips are with a destination in mind. The kids would not be very excited about a trip to the Walmart in another state. So I really would have no reason to use Walmart unless I was just dead tired and needed some sleep.
Old 04-12-2012, 12:40 PM   #3952
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
maybe to someone that only read that post, but it was in direct response to a post that was on-topic and did mention Walmart.
:golfclap:
Old 04-12-2012, 12:41 PM   #3953
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatlakes View Post
Where you stay whether it be Walmart a CG or a Hilton is just a matter of preference. For those RV camping, trips are with a destination in mind. The kids would not be very excited about a trip to the Walmart in another state.
LOL!!
Old 04-12-2012, 12:43 PM   #3954

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
My grandkids would...
Old 04-12-2012, 01:22 PM   #3955

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatlakes View Post
It may not be a matter of money for you, but others have stated otherwise.
It sounds as though you (Madrona) are a full timer traveling around to see the country. Thats a bit different than people who are vacationing.
Its like the difference of camping or just traveling. If your TT is your home, then finding a new and exciting CG is probably not important to you as being able to just see the area sites and attractions.
Where you stay whether it be Walmart a CG or a Hilton is just a matter of preference. For those RV camping, trips are with a destination in mind. The kids would not be very excited about a trip to the Walmart in another state. So I really would have no reason to use Walmart unless I was just dead tired and needed some sleep.
Didn't mean to step on any toes. I enjoy this thread and have seen several posts deleted or edited and several reminders from mods to keep it on topic. I want to keep being able to read about overnight experiences by RV'ers staying at WM.
Even in this reply to me, you say you wouldn't stay overnight at WM unless it was necessary. I have to wonder why someone not interested in staying at WM would read this thread and comment about everything BUT WM.
I'm not a full-timer, yet. Mostly travel the northwest part of the county on a vacation or weekend basis. I can see where many RV'ers like to stay in campgrounds for an extended period of time. Maybe boating, fishing, swimming, hiking, whatever. There are groups and threads to talk about that. This thread is for WM overnighting.
Old 04-12-2012, 01:30 PM   #3956
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
My grandkids would...
Old 04-12-2012, 01:43 PM   #3957

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
Dunner, I love 'ya man, but if you call this a direct response about a WM topic, you need to adjust your reading glasses:

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverbender
As a campground owner and an rv owner, I have never stayed in a Walmart lot, but i can see where staying overnight at a Walmart may save you some money, however, as a campground owner, struggling to earn a living and keeping up with all the state imposed regulations, like having x number of sinks, toilets and showers per x number of campsites regardless of the fact that most of those sites are occupied by rigs with their own bathrooms. We have to have dump stations and back flow preventers none of which are required of Walmart. None of the pages of regulations we must follow apply to the Walmart parking lot. I stay at campgrounds because I know they, like us, need the support of our campers in order to keep our parks open. Every time I read about another park closing, going under, or being sold for apartments or condos, I get nervous, it can happen anywhere! Well, maybe not to Walmart!

Rob replies:
I can empathize with your situation and certainly understand why you would support fellow CG owners. Just as my living is directly related to domestic auto sales. I hate to see people buy Foriegn cars (ones made outside the US). But thats the result of competing in a "global economy".
The patriotism or desire or whatever you want to call it, that used to keep this country strong and gave Americans the feeling that we take care of our own above everything else is diminishing.
People are impatient and want immediate satisfaction at any cost to their neighbors and fellow Americans. Loyalty is gone from everything. Marriage's are temporary, Sports figures play where-ever they make the most money. And people will make decisions about what to buy, where to stay, and who to support based on how it effects them. Its more about the bottom line than doing whats right for everyone.
Americans will run this country into the gound and let industry after industry business after business fail and go belly up if it cost them a few extra bucks to support our own. People just dont care anymore. Its sad and I will make the effort to support CG as much as I can.

With that said I can understand if I were traveling from point A to B and needed to stop on the way for some sleep, the convience of just pulling off the Hwy would be something I would do. All of my trips have been within a days travel so I havent needed too yet. But it would be nice if CG did offer a overnight only spot in the parking lot or even an empty site for a reduced rate. Because I can also understand not wanting to spend $40 for a place to park for the night. Something like free up to $10 to park out by 9:00 am extra charge for Elect and maybe charge to use the dump station. Then people who only want to just sleep can do it without spending a bunch. If the CG has a decent store, people passing thru would probably buy a few items too rather than drive around looking for a store. IMO
First we have riverbender talking about owning and operating an RV park and the burden involved with meeting all the requirements and restrictions. By the way, he has never stayed at WM, either.
Then we have Rob talking about auto sales, foreign cars, global economy and diminishing American patriotism. I take offense to that. No one is more patriotic than I and I have a LOT of company. But, the bigger issue is keeping this thread on topic and that's where my interest lies and the reason for my post. Sure, I have other interests including many of which were mentioned in both posts. So, I can go somewhere else to read about them.

Please, can we hear more stories about overnighting at WM? I just can't get my fill!!
Old 04-12-2012, 01:54 PM   #3958

I'm sorry, my wife and I travel in our MH for business. We are on the road up to 10 months a year, through out the country. Yea, staying at camp grounds is a tax deduction. I don't know about you folks, I can not wait till the end of the year to get that money back or get a deduction.

If we can stay at Wal-Mart or Sams Club or another location, we will. I use the Wal-Mart App on my phone, and call and talk to the manager about staying in the lot. If they say no, I ask if there is another location where I could stay. Sometimes, they tell me another store in town or down the road that allows it. When we stay at Wal-Mart and such, we do put out only the drivers side slides. This is so we can have some room to walk around and relax after driving most of the day. We alway stay as far as possible from the store, some Wal-Marts have spaces for RVers to park. There are a few in Texas that have the parking lot marked off for us to park.

We use our genset only when we need it, our coach has the auto start, that helps. But, the genset does not operate all night.

I already have 68K on my 2008. As you can see, my coach does not sit very long. We do as much shopping at Wal-Marts as much as possible, even though we may not be able to stay there. We do however, do stop at as many Murphy USA with Desiel as we can. I have saved up to .40 per gallon. That's another thread.

So, please don't look down on us, we are trying to do the right thing. Just in a little bit more comfort. I do agree, that cooking out is going to far, and may make hard for the rest of us. Sitting outside could be a stretch, but, if you are traveling with others and the weather is good, sitting outside could be fun. Not partying, but relaxing and talking and such.

360HP Cummings
Old 04-12-2012, 03:08 PM   #3959

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Well I am still looking forward to my first overnighter at a Walmart. I left Seattle on Feb 18th, I am now in Kissimmee, Florida and every stop along the way there has been something of interest that have me do more then a quick overnighter, so I shop at Walmart in my toad and overnight at Campgrounds, but I keep reading this thread because some place, some time before I return to Seattle, I am going to spend a night at a Walmart and on that night I will have Walmart Roast Chicken for dinner (I know if I did not have the Chicken I would be banned from this thread)..
Old 04-12-2012, 05:04 PM   #3960

Getting pretty close to 4000.
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Old 04-12-2012, 07:09 PM   #3961

Appalachian Campers
Send a message via Yahoo to W4RLR
I can understand where some campground owners have heartburn with Walmart. But they are comparing apples to oranges. Walmart offers a slot in a parking lot, period. They don't offer electricity, water, sewer, or dumping facilities, not even Wi-Fi, nor do they want to.

Would campground owners be happier if Walmart charged $10 a night? $20 a night? Some of the campgrounds we have checked during our travels had rates that rivaled the rates for a budget motel room, and that was before things like pet fees and "resort fees" were added on. If such a place was our destination, I would not have much issue with paying for "resort amenities". When I want several hours of sleep, period, Walmart provides a relatively safe, free place. Restocking the pantry or buying a roasted chicken for dinner is steps away. RV supplies are also available.

Too many campground owners wail and moan that Walmart isn't playing by the same rules they are. They shouldn't, as they are not a campground nor do they want to be. Talk about how Americans today are cheap and will sell their fellow citizens down the river by not supporting small businesses such as campgrounds, yet those same small business owners have no problem with having their local lawmakers limit the property rights of Walmart by mandating RV parking in local campgrounds only. How hypocritical!

Want to compete with free? Offer value for money! Make a few slots in your campground "express lanes". No amenities other than electric and water, and one free dump. One night stay only. No access to the pool, the tennis courts, or whatever you put in to be a "resort" Make those lanes pull-through. Offer check in until ten p.m. and put them close to the entrance. Price it cheap and advertise the heck out of them. You'll get those who need a few hours sleep, they can plug in and save fuel by not running the generator. The Ohio Turnpike Commission has done just that on some of the service plazas and they are a hit.

Just my humble opinion, your mileage may vary, member FDIC, batteries not included.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 04-12-2012, 07:28 PM   #3962

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by W4RLR View Post
Want to compete with free? Offer value for money! Make a few slots in your campground "express lanes". No amenities other than electric and water, and one free dump. One night stay only. No access to the pool, the tennis courts, or whatever you put in to be a "resort" Make those lanes pull-through. Offer check in until ten p.m. and put them close to the entrance. Price it cheap and advertise the heck out of them. You'll get those who need a few hours sleep, they can plug in and save fuel by not running the generator. The Ohio Turnpike Commission has done just that on some of the service plazas and they are a hit.

Just my humble opinion, your mileage may vary, member FDIC, batteries not included.
In 2004 I had to take our MH to the factory for work. On the way back I saw just such a place, gravel pull throughs and about $10 a night as I remember. At the time I wasn't ready to stop so I kept going.
Closed Thread

Tags
camping