Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-30-2012, 09:27 PM   #4285

Oh, ok, I thought you meant they were occupied RVs.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2012, 01:09 AM   #4286

Appalachian Campers
Send a message via Yahoo to W4RLR
Many years ago, my mother and I went to the old Walmart in the Osceola Square Mall in Kissimmee. The greeter there was sitting in a rocking chair, welcoming everyone. A closer look at his name tag showed his name to be "Sam".

Yes, it was Sam Walton himself. He used to fly all over the country in his personal plane to inspect stores and meet customers. Back then, Walmart prided itself on buying American made products and keeping American workers employed.

Sam is no doubt spinning in his grave on a daily basis.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 06-01-2012, 09:06 AM   #4287

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobriant View Post
<snip>
It's simply not possible to make accurate "blanket statement" about Walmart, regarding Overnight RV Parking or anything else.
Sure it is! MOST stores allow you to stay the night and couldn't care less if you use jacks and slides and generators, or not.

You're always going to use common sense wherever you spend the night.
Old 06-01-2012, 09:13 AM   #4288

Quote:
Sure it is! MOST stores allow you to stay the night and couldn't care less if you use jacks and slides and generators, or not.
Jacks can tear up the pavement. I have seen evidence of this myself. The idea of the no slides is to give the appearance of parking not camping. The generator is to reduce noise which can bother other RV'ers and nearby residential areas (if any). The more we abuse our privileges the quicker we will lose them. That is the common sense.
Old 06-01-2012, 09:30 AM   #4289

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay Richards View Post
Jacks can tear up the pavement. I have seen evidence of this myself. The idea of the no slides is to give the appearance of parking not camping. The generator is to reduce noise which can bother other RV'ers and nearby residential areas (if any). The more we abuse our privileges the quicker we will lose them. That is the common sense.
Jacks CAN tear up the pavement. In those instances, don't use jacks. Common sense. Generators CAN bother residential areas. In those instances, don't use generators. Common sense. If other RV'ers want peace and quiet they won't stay the night in a parking lot. Common sense. Slides are not an issue as long as you don't protrude into traffic areas. Common sense. Slides alone don't have a bearing on appearance. Chairs out, BBQ out, awnings out, THAT looks like you are camping.

When you receive permission from Wal-Mart to spend the night in your RV, they expect you to use your RV like an RV. Common sense.

There is no abuse of privileges in my examples, just common sense.
Old 06-01-2012, 09:39 AM   #4290

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeing Guy View Post
<snip> Besides, WM, Lowes and Home Depot, any other less obvious places anyone has over nighted.
There is a thread for that over here:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/overn...art-94555.html
Old 06-01-2012, 09:51 AM   #4291
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madrona View Post
Sure it is [possible to generalize about Walmarts]! MOST stores allow you to stay the night and couldn't care less if you use jacks and slides and generators, or not.
But that generalization is absolutely useless when you drive into a Walmart where you've never been before, and you don't know that specific store's policies or don't have access to a source that does know that specific store's policies.

Quote:
You're always going to use common sense wherever you spend the night.
But assuming that the Walmart where you're parking is just like "most stores" ISN'T common sense.

Quote:
Jacks can tear up the pavement. I have seen evidence of this myself. The idea of the no slides is to give the appearance of parking not camping. The generator is to reduce noise which can bother other RV'ers and nearby residential areas (if any).
That's absolutely correct.

Even the FMCA "Good Neighbor Policy," which doesn't address slide-outs, says that if you're going to use leveling jacks, put pads under them to protect the asphalt surface. (If you're on concrete, that's another story, of course.)

From my research, most (but NOT ALL) Walmarts don't really care about slides -- as long as they extend over an area not used by either vehicles or pedestrians.

I've found very few Walmarts that say "no generators," but some have this rule. The store's rule is generally because of nearby residences; as RVers, the courteous thing for us is to not disturb other RVers in the lot. But again, the individual circumstances on a given night make all the difference. If I go to bed in an empty lot, and wake up with half a dozen idling semis next to me, my little generator won't make much difference, so we'll fire up the toaster & Keurig coffee maker.

Quote:
The more we abuse our privileges the quicker we will lose them. That is the common sense.
Absolutely true.

All too often, when an RVer says "I don't need any rules, I just use common sense" he really means, "To h*** with your #$%&* rules -- it's a free country and I'm gonna do what I wanna do, and nobody can stop me."

And these are the people whose selfishness leads Walmart managers to change their policy to "No Overnight RV Parking," and leads city councils to ban Overnight RV Parking. They're not the only cause, but they're one of the major causes.
Old 06-01-2012, 10:05 AM   #4292

Quote:
And these are the people whose selfishness leads Walmart managers to change their policy to "No Overnight RV Parking," and leads city councils to ban Overnight RV Parking. They're not the only cause, but they're one of the major causes.
Exactly what I was trying to say, but some folks always know better. If they want to do these things, it is up to them, but they shouldn't be telling everybody else it is OK and Wal-Mart policy. The clubs like FMCA and Escapees who have carefully researched these policies and written good neighbor guidelines should not be over ridden by somebody who has stayed a few times.
Old 06-01-2012, 10:25 AM   #4293
Commercial Member

Quote:
Exactly what I was trying to say, but some folks always know better. If they want to do these things, it is up to them, but they shouldn't be telling everybody else it is OK and Wal-Mart policy.
Amen to that!

Quote:
The clubs like FMCA and Escapees who have carefully researched these policies and written good neighbor guidelines should not be over ridden by somebody who has stayed a few times.
And most people have no idea the amount of time it takes to research it thoroughly. [moderator edit] One problem is that the database keeps growing, and thus there are more and more listings to re-check to be sure the information is still current. The "co-pilot" thinks I spend altogether too much time at it, but if I didn't, I'd just be underfoot, and she'd like that even less.....
Old 06-01-2012, 10:49 AM   #4294

Quote:
Chairs out, BBQ out, awnings out, THAT looks like you are camping.

There is no abuse of privileges in my examples, just common sense.
If my chair comes out, I'm takin' it up by the front door, along with my camera for Walmartian research and documentation.

Old 06-01-2012, 11:16 AM   #4295
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
If my chair comes out, I'm takin' it up by the front door, along with my camera for Walmartian research and documentation.
But in a Walmart Parking Lot, your chair should NOT come out. RVers are allowed to PARK at Walmart. We are NOT allowed to CAMP at Walmart.

Lawn furniture isn't part of parking.

I hope the moderators will keep a close eye out for trolls here.
Old 06-01-2012, 11:24 AM   #4296

Do you ever do anything for fun, 0'briant?

Old 06-01-2012, 11:33 AM   #4297

Did you just get called a troll???
Old 06-01-2012, 11:38 AM   #4298

Name calling is not allowed here and I guess a sense of humor isn't either.

Closed Thread

Tags
camping