Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-06-2012, 06:39 PM   #4425

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnolaEagle View Post
....Id say that this thread moivates me to find the nearest campground on the way to my destination and spend a few bux so the small guy can make a living. I could even start a campain for that but who will follow...? (Probably noone)
On our way to Alaska in 2006, the campground we stayed at south of Whitehorse, YT was offering free overnight dry camping in a nice level woodsy clearing in the back of their campground. I would guess that 25 or 30 rigs could have been accommodated. We only saw one rig in there during our stay, but the WM parking lot in Whitehorse was packed with RVs. Must be the superior ambiance of asphalt and traffic noise.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2012, 06:51 PM   #4426

Not to mention food and supplies within walking distance.

Old 06-06-2012, 07:39 PM   #4427

Quote:
On our way to Alaska in 2006, the campground we stayed at south of Whitehorse, YT was offering free overnight dry camping in a nice level woodsy clearing in the back of their campground. I would guess that 25 or 30 rigs could have been accommodated. We only saw one rig in there during our stay, but the WM parking lot in Whitehorse was packed with RVs. Must be the superior ambiance of asphalt and traffic noise.
Thats nice they wre offering free sites but unless they have a big blue neon sign how will anyone know?
Old 06-06-2012, 07:51 PM   #4428

With the thousands of stores Walmart has how many millions of dollars do you suppose it would cost to install the parking lot RV surveillance equipment and hire the staff to monitor it and enforce the suggested rules. Seems like the way they do it now works pretty well(-:

Jim
Old 06-06-2012, 07:55 PM   #4429

Quote:
Originally Posted by jauguston
With the thousands of stores Walmart has how many millions of dollars do you suppose it would cost to install the parking lot RV surveillance equipment and hire the staff to monitor it and enforce the suggested rules. Seems like the way they do it now works pretty well(-:

Jim
Every WM I've been to has cameras and security. I just think it should be uniform across the board. Not that they need to specically enforce rules down to the minute but having a set of uniform rules goes a long way.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:04 PM   #4430

Although RV's parking in Walmart Parking Lots is supposedly a big deal on these Forums my guess is they are not even a blip on corporate level managements radar screen. Just about every decision they make is more important to them than a few RV's in their parking lot.

Jim
Old 06-06-2012, 10:11 PM   #4431
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikron View Post
Kingston [MA Walmart] is a newer one and Plymouth has one and one closed.
Thanks .... In looking at my files of Walmart press releases, the new store opened in 2005. It's closer to Kingston than the old store, but the new one also has a Plymouth address. This kind of confusion over a store's mailing address vs, where it's located isn't uncommon, especially in areas where older mail delivery routes haven't kept up with suburban growth.

Thanks for your reply!
Old 06-06-2012, 10:23 PM   #4432
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jauguston View Post
With the thousands of stores Walmart has how many millions of dollars do you suppose it would cost to install the parking lot RV surveillance equipment and hire the staff to monitor it and enforce the suggested rules. Seems like the way they do it now works pretty well.
I think that Walmart likes leaving this issue up to the local store managers, because they realize how very different the circumstances can be in various areas of the country. A uniform national policy wouldn't give store managers the flexibility do such things as have organized RV parking during local events, etc., which a few stores do.

I agree that Walmart handles it it now, while not perfect, is probably the most successful for the most stores and for the greatest number of RVing customers.
Old 06-07-2012, 05:55 AM   #4433

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Question :
  • An RV family is vacationing in a particular area for an extended period of time (1 month +)
  • They have reserved spots at a CG for most all of their stay.
  • All local (within 150 miles) CG are "FULL" for a period of time 1-2 days right in the middle of their stay.
  • There is a "parking lot" close by (within 2 miles)

Should the RVers:
Give up 2 days of their plans driving to and back from a CG 150 miles away
Spend $150 on fuel
OR
Drive the 2 miles to the "parking lot",
Continue their vacation,
Spend the night or 2 at the parking lot
Drive the 2 miles back to their reserved CG
??????????

By the way...I would do the parking lot for 2 nights, and spend the time and $150 on my family. I am glad that WM and other retailers value my patronage, and are willing to extend me this privilege.
Old 06-07-2012, 06:38 AM   #4434

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
Not to mention food and supplies within walking distance.
Best reason to "park" at WM..
Old 06-07-2012, 07:51 AM   #4435
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mythplaced View Post
Question :
  • An RV family is vacationing in a particular area for an extended period of time (1 month +)
  • They have reserved spots at a CG for most all of their stay.
  • All local (within 150 miles) CG are "FULL" for a period of time 1-2 days right in the middle of their stay.
  • There is a "parking lot" close by (within 2 miles)

Should the RVers:
Give up 2 days of their plans driving to and back from a CG 150 miles away
Spend $150 on fuel
OR
Drive the 2 miles to the "parking lot",
Continue their vacation,
Spend the night or 2 at the parking lot
Drive the 2 miles back to their reserved CG
I'd telephone the Walmart Manager, explain the situation, and ask permission to park there for the two days. When you ask, I'd recommend that you be very clear with the manager about what you do and what you don't intend to do in the lot -- that is, whether or not you have to extend any slides to have room for everyone to sleep, whether or not you will use your awning, lawn furniture, BBQ grill, etc; and what the family will be doing during those two days (leaving for the day to do vacation stuff, sitting all day in the RV, or whatever). If you're "up-front" and honest, and the manager will be more likely to give you permission; & then do what you say you'll do, it may help other RVers in the future get a "Yes" when they ask permission to park there.

If the Walmart Manager says "No," it may be because local laws give him/her no choice in the matter. The manager may also give you permission to park overnight for two nights, but require that you take your RV out of the lot during the daytime.

Remember, too, that Walmarts aren't the only places that allow Overnight RV Parking. Some Walmarts that don't or can't allow Overnight RV Parking have been known to suggest another location. You can also check with other "big box" stores in the area, the city parks department in this and nearby towns, the county parks department, the local tourism bureau, or local churches. Depending on where you'll be vacationing, there may be a farm or winery that would allow you to park on their property for a couple of days. You may even want to call the local police station and see if they have any suggestions on places where you can legally park an RV for two days.

Creative thinking will pay off. And please let us know what the eventual solution turns out to be!
Old 06-07-2012, 12:36 PM   #4436

We don't need to reform any rules on W/M. Its really pretty simple. Those of you who do not like parking there, don't park there. We need the room for those that do like to park there overnight. That gives you more room at cg's to enjoy your fees. With gas being what it is, I can put the money in the tank, sleep at W/m without worry that your going to crash the party, I'll pay my respects to the W/M facility and leave the grounds better shape than found. W/M is happy, I am happy.
Old 06-07-2012, 01:00 PM   #4437

Last time I was in a pinch for a place to 'park' for the night. I used the police departments parking lot. Felt very safe and secure that night.
Old 06-07-2012, 01:33 PM   #4438

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monacoach View Post
I will not let anyone evict me who makes less then 10 dollars per hour
Closed Thread

Tags
camping