Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-04-2012, 12:42 PM   #4845

Monaco Owners Club
Remember that story of a family Parked at Walmart in their Rv and some guy knocked on their door late at night, father answers door, struggled over a gun and the intruder was shot dead. Father sued Walmart for his dumb mistake of opening the door to a stranger...... ( lack of security) Nobody takes responsibility for their own actions anymore..... If your going to dry camp at Walmart or anywhere else do it with common sense.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2012, 12:57 PM   #4846

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgetown350 View Post
Usually parking spots are quite limited at Flying J truck stops in the Rv section so trying to avoid parking beside someone who may not like having a genny running all night long is not an easy task. And as mentioned earlier the expectation of a noise free parking spot at a truck stop is quite silly. If you have a lung condition or a child with asthma, take responsibility and dont park at a truck stop where you know trucks and gennys are running 24 7.
People in that situation may not have a choice. Where else can they go? Often there are no campgrounds near the interstates. Few people, tired and ready to stop for the night, feel like driving 25 miles or more in a strange place at night, looking for a campground that doesn't allow generators to run after 11 PM. We take I-75 down and up from FL each year. We choose WalMarts because they're right near the Interstates, they're safe, and we can buy something for dinner there.
Old 09-04-2012, 01:05 PM   #4847

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeing Guy View Post
I feel sorry for anyone staying at a WM on a hot humid night without a generator and Air Conditioning. If I didn't have the genny, I'd be at a CG with 50 amp. While I would never want to offend a fellow RVer, I bought the generator and AC specifically for, hot, humid, mid-west nights. If anyone knocks on my door and askes me to turn off the Genny, depending on my mood, I will provide one of the following answers:

1. I have a Viet Nam vet with me, who I am taking to the Mayo clinic for a heart-lung-gizzard transplant and I need to run the genny and AC to keep his heart-lung-gizzard maching operating and keep him alive. Then I'd ask for a donation for this medical expenses.

2. I need to run the AC to keep the meth lab cool so the RV doesn't explode.

3. Go... Oh never mind
You got a Bad Attitude, Dude!

(I like that.)
Old 09-04-2012, 01:06 PM   #4848

Quote:
Originally Posted by jauguston View Post
If you demand campground rules regarding generators stay at a campground.
You missed a few posts. There isn't always campgrounds near the Interstates. Who's talking about CG rules anyway? All those of us who are kept awake by generators and unhealthy fumes ask is that those with generators park a short distance away from them. I'm not being rude, but why would that be so hard for these generator people to do. We have a Class-C with a generator and if we ever had to run it all night, we would find a spot at least 50' from the TTs and PUPs. It's simple consideration.

Quote:
If you are willing to take what you pay for stop at a Walmart. Walmart is NOT a campground and campground rules do not apply. There are busybodies that think otherwise but they are wrong.

Jim
What has that to do with consideration for others?
Old 09-04-2012, 01:10 PM   #4849

RanCarr,

People in that position are solely responsible for planning ahead. Don't blame Walmart for someones lack of the good sense to plan ahead.

Jim
Old 09-04-2012, 01:14 PM   #4850

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeing Guy View Post
I feel sorry for anyone staying at a WM on a hot humid night without a generator and Air Conditioning. If I didn't have the genny, I'd be at a CG with 50 amp.
There aren't always CGs along the Interstates. Wouldn't it be nice if there were, and not everyone had to budget to enjoy traveling.

Quote:
While I would never want to offend a fellow RVer, I bought the generator and AC specifically for, hot, humid, mid-west nights. If anyone knocks on my door and askes me to turn off the Genny, depending on my mood, I will provide one of the following answers:
They may not ask you to shut it off but may ask you to park a short distance away so THEY can breathe and sleep. I don't think anyone would want you to shut it off.

Quote:
1. I have a Viet Nam vet with me, who I am taking to the Mayo clinic for a heart-lung-gizzard transplant and I need to run the genny and AC to keep his heart-lung-gizzard maching operating and keep him alive. Then I'd ask for a donation for this medical expenses.

2. I need to run the AC to keep the meth lab cool so the RV doesn't explode.

3. Go... Oh never mind
If you see TTs and PUPs, just pull up the line a little and run your gen to your heart's content - and leave everyone sleeping.
Old 09-04-2012, 01:18 PM   #4851

Quote:
RanCarr,

People in that position are solely responsible for planning ahead. Don't blame Walmart for someones lack of the good sense to plan ahead.

Jim
They do plan ahead. I met several people traveling with an ill person or asthmatic child. It's hard to plan a WalMart or Flying-J where those with generators will not park close to others. There's no way to know in a advance if people will be considerate or not. Why would it be so hard for someone to pull up say 50' from others trying to sleep and who need to breathe air not full of fumes? It's a sincere question, why can't someone answer it?
Old 09-04-2012, 01:23 PM   #4852

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgetown350 View Post
Remember that story of a family Parked at Walmart in their Rv and some guy knocked on their door late at night, father answers door, struggled over a gun and the intruder was shot dead. Father sued Walmart for his dumb mistake of opening the door to a stranger...... ( lack of security) Nobody takes responsibility for their own actions anymore..... If your going to dry camp at Walmart or anywhere else do it with common sense.
Crime can occur anywhere. The father should never have opened the door without knowing who was there. The father shouldn't have had the gun in his hand unless he planned to use it. The father should have used his gun.

Sue WalMart for what happened? A rational judge would throw out the case.
Old 09-04-2012, 01:24 PM   #4853

Low tones(generators) travel further than high pitched tones. Where I camp at the dunes, you can hear an all-nighter from a long ways away. Same way with music. They may have it low, but the bass beats still travel a long way.

Old 09-04-2012, 01:26 PM   #4854

Quote:
RanCarr,

Jim
What is this referring to? I never blamed Wal*Mart for anything. I think it's great they allow people to spend the night in their lots. Why should anyone pay a CG $30 or more just to sleep - or have to try and even find one in the dark in a strange place?
Old 09-04-2012, 01:37 PM   #4855
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RanCarr View Post
They do plan ahead. I met several people traveling with an ill person or asthmatic child. It's hard to plan a WalMart or Flying-J where those with generators will not park close to others. There's no way to know in a advance if people will be considerate or not. Why would it be so hard for someone to pull up say 50' from others trying to sleep and who need to breathe air not full of fumes? It's a sincere question, why can't someone answer it?
I vote for "why don't we move on?" People will either be considerate or not; we are only responsible for ourselves. People are just as inconsiderate ANYWHERE; that trait is not specific to Walmart nor truck stops.
Old 09-04-2012, 01:40 PM   #4856

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
If you park at truck stops, YOU know generators will be running. If you over night at a Walmart, Generators may or may not be running. You talk about people not being considerate, so how about you being the same and realizing that a person pulling in to overnight at a Walmart, does not know the needs/desires of the others that are overnighting. They ask permission (We hope) and park where directed by management. Should they then run around to all other RV's there and ask permission to run their Generator if they have a need or desire. No I don't think so and you should not either.

I will stop at a Walmart to overnight and I will ask management about running the generator at the same time I ask permission to overnight and acceptable location. If managements says no generator, then no generator, but if they say it is OK, then you can bet I will be running the generator as I see fit and it has nothing to do with consideration of the others overnighting there.
Old 09-04-2012, 01:41 PM   #4857

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
I vote for "why don't we move on?" People will either be considerate or not; we are only responsible for ourselves. People are just as inconsiderate ANYWHERE; that trait is not specific to Walmart nor truck stops.
Old 09-04-2012, 01:45 PM   #4858
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
What is this referring to? I never blamed Wal*Mart for anything. I think it's great they allow people to spend the night in their lots. Why should anyone pay a CG $30 or more just to sleep - or have to try and even find one in the dark in a strange place?
People should be willing and able to pay $30 to sleep because there is no guarantee that an RVer will find any free area to park. If they are trying to find one in the dark or a strange place, they have neglected the first rule of travel...PLAN AHEAD.

Walmart could revoke their hospitality at any time. When choosing to live in a rolling home, it's the owner's responsibility to have the necessary financial means to park it someplace.

Tags
camping