Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2012, 03:00 PM   #5139

Teen dies car surfing in Walmart parking lot

By Paul Thompson
PUBLISHED: 11:37 EST, 24 September 2012 | UPDATED: 11:51 EST, 24 September 2012

A teenager was killed after being thrown from a car while 'car surfing' in a parking lot.

Jacob Wolfe suffered massive head injuries after he was sent hurtling to the ground when the car's driver braked or turned the vehicle.

The 16-year-old was flown by air ambulance to the Nationwide Children's Hospital in Columbus, Ohio, where he died from severe head trauma on Sunday afternoon.

Grief counselors have been sent to Chillicothe High School where Wolfe was a sophomore.

Police said they responded to the incident in a Walmart parking lot in Chillicothe on Saturday night after a report of a youth being injured.

Chillicothe Police Sgt. Ron Meyers said Wolfe had been clinging to the hood of a 1991 Honda Accord.
Police are trying to determine whether Jacob was run over by the car or he was struck by its bumper, Meyers said.
WHAT IS CAR SURFING?

Car surfing is a dangerous activity in which a passenger tries to perform a stunt on a moving car - hanging out a vehicle or standing erect on the hood or top of a car.

According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control, at least 58 deaths from car surfing had been reported by newspapers across the country from 2008 to 1990.

The majority of the fatalities were reported in the Midwest and South, primarily among male youths.

The prosecutor’s office will determine whether charges will be filed, he said.

Chillicothe High School Principal Jeff Fisher said Jacob was active with the Fellowship of Christian Students organization on campus and was known for his interest in music, taking classes in guitar and piano.

'He was known for his ability to make other people smile and laugh regardless of the situation. He had a special quality to make people feel better about themselves,' Fisher said.

Friends described Wolfe as a gentle soul who loved to make his classmates laugh.

'He was a great kid,' said school principal Fisher.

'Jacob was a great person and had a great sense of humor. No matter the situation, he could make you smile, make you laugh.'

Plenty of things to see while parked at W/M. I don't think I'd sleep well for that night.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2012, 04:46 PM   #5140

Doing this is really stupid. I did some stupid things in my youth, but this one goes way beyond that. Hopefully others will learn from it.
Old 09-25-2012, 06:31 PM   #5141

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedneckExpress View Post
Out of the two, the cody walmart was better. For some reason the town Gillette is so boring that the big hang out for anyone wanting to do donuts, burn outs, and roll coal is the walmart super center. I was wondering why there was only four RVs in the lot :P.
You'd think with all the motorsports entertainment going on, the WM campground would be full. I would have to buy a video camera to record the events, download the videos to my laptop, and then return the video camera back to the store for a full refund.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:58 PM   #5142

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrohorse View Post
You'd think with all the motorsports entertainment going on, the WM campground would be full. I would have to buy a video camera to record the events, download the videos to my laptop, and then return the video camera back to the store for a full refund.
Electronics take a restocking fee hit..
Old 09-26-2012, 06:11 AM   #5143

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl
So much for my Super Bowl plans.....
Old 09-26-2012, 07:26 AM   #5144

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCooke View Post
Just go to outdoors section and grab some lawn chairs, go to sporting goods and grab a cooler, next off to grocery section for beer, chips and ice. Drag all this stuff to the electronics section and locate the biggest widescreen. Enjoy the game! If your team wins return all the stuff to the isle it belongs in with the exception of the beer, ice and chips of course. Return the beer cans for deposit (varies by state). If your team loses, leave it all there in electronics and stomp out mad.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:19 AM   #5145

You guys do know that eating unpaid for food is STEALING.Right??.

Look.Walmart is not obligated to do anything for RV's.It takes only one sizable event and corporate tells the store managers no more. Kind of aggravates me that afew puts me in a bad light.

Then when you guys talk about setting the stores up for free use of their goods to return it. Well,take a serious look in a mirror and reflect.............I sure don't live my life like that...............
Old 09-26-2012, 08:42 AM   #5146

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleamarketer View Post

Look.Walmart is not obligated to do anything for RV's.It takes only one sizable event and corporate tells the store managers no more. Kind of aggravates me that afew puts me in a bad light.

Then when you guys talk about setting the stores up for free use of their goods to return it. Well,take a serious look in a mirror and reflect.............I sure don't live my life like that...............
Humor

1. a comic, absurd, or incongruous quality causing amusement: the humor of a situation.

2. the faculty of perceiving what is amusing or comical: He is completely without humor.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
Old 09-26-2012, 09:38 AM   #5147

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleamarketer

.......I do hope you are being as serious as we are (or me anyways)..... if you are seriously serious then please note at least for myself...
I have never stayed in a Wal-Mart or anyone else's lot (non campground) other than my own/family's.
Campground owners attempt and have succeeded to get ordinances passed that prohibit people who 'steal' from them by staying in the area (local) and not paying a campground (that pays local taxes).
I also do not frequent the local Wal-Mart due to..... I'll call it inconsiderate people, we go to one that is 20 miles further away, and wouldn't you know it they have height barriers to keep over nighters out.
And for grins my big screen is in my living room (stick house) in front of my recliner.....
As for the food, I have eaten food after leaving a store but never even opened a package, be it food or drink, in a store....
Have a nice day.
I now return to my usually scheduled sarcasm...
Old 09-26-2012, 10:32 AM   #5148

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
Not if you are staying in an RV in their parking lot! We have special priviledges.

Old 09-26-2012, 11:19 AM   #5149

One to scratch from the list of WM to stay at Carlisle Walmart: No RVs
Old 09-26-2012, 11:27 AM   #5150

It's not funny or humor when your talking about doing things in life that isn't honorable.I see exactly what you guys are talking about all the time with the downfall of values
people seem to think is ok.Now the people that work there bleed when they get cut and hurt just the same as anyone else when their job cuts back hrs or they get laid-off.Personalize it. Then find the humor or something funny in that!!!remember Walmart owes you nothing.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:33 AM   #5151

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCooke View Post
The way its going with the replacement 'refs'..

Just take a lawn chair from the garden section, chicken from the deli, and drinks from McD's and watch it in the Electronic Section in the rear of the store
Old 09-26-2012, 01:39 PM   #5152

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleamarketer View Post

We do not advocate stealing on this forum. In fact, the correct thing to do is to pay for the food/beverages first and then head back to electronics to watch the game on the big screen.
Walmart advocates camping in their lots. If they did not want it, they (corporate) would have put a stop to it long ago. We are just enjoying all the amenities and activities that WM has to offer the RV'ers who visit their facilities. Just my humble opinion. I do respect your opinion and the way you choose to camp while at WM.
Closed Thread

Tags
camping