Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-18-2009, 02:14 PM   #1

Walmart's Parking

Im down at the Jersey shore at Capemay.
I had to go to walmarts and notice 5 MH park at walmart.
I do not agree with this but they had there slides out and few even had there awning out. I think they got here early probably a day sooner and waiting to get in to there campground.
I have stayed in a walmarts but did not put out the slides and well did not camp there.
O well just my two cents
Jim
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2009, 02:28 PM   #2
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
I don't think Walmart cares whether RV'rs put out their slides or not, it's entirely a peer issue among our fellow RVrs. It's generally expressed among us RVrs that when parking there we keep the slides and awnings in so that we create a low profile and minimize the impact of being there and don't give the appearance of abusing the priveledge.

But if Walmart doesn't care, why should we be so concerned as long as egress and ingress of their customers and/or their vendors isn't compromised. Has anyone ever been told by a Walmart employee, manager, security, etc., that they don't want slides and awnings?

I've only stayed in a Walmart once and that was in Anchorage, AK about 8 years ago. Almost everyone there had at least one slide out and many had their generators running. I didn't see any awnings out though.
Old 07-18-2009, 02:30 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
I'll add my 2 cents and we'll have 4.

boondocking in the wrong spot. have no manners and they probably think they are really COOL. not.
Old 07-18-2009, 02:59 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
I'll add two more cents then we will have 6 cents

I have stop at Wallmarts more then a few time. We like to get gorceries there. We alway park along the outside of the lot, and only put out the sides that DO NOT GET IN SOMEONE WAY. As far as the genset, I run only when it is need. That is usually late in the evening with the parking lot is empty.

Of corse, if you go in side and ask, so much the better. If everyone did what we do, it would make it better for everyone.

Bob & Mary Ann
Jada & cocnut our two kids(dogs)
Old 07-18-2009, 03:04 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
WalMart Parking

If it bothers you what other RVers do, Move on OR look out an other window. They are not going to change and have their rights and opinions, the same as you do.
Old 07-18-2009, 04:01 PM   #6

Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
If there is room to put my slides out with out taking up any additional parking I use them. I also level (provided it will not damage the deck) and run the generator as needed. I will admit using the awning or grill is a bit overboard.
Old 07-18-2009, 06:08 PM   #7

I travel nearly every weekend and use Walmarts or Sam's Clubs as my home away from home. Typically I arrive after 10 pm and by 8 am I'm usually back on the road. Assuming the store is still open when I arrive I go in and shop for something. I always say hi to the security guard and ask if I'll be in the way where I'm parked. Only one time did the guard suggest I move and that was so she could keep a better watch over us during the night.

If I can park along a planter or sidewalk I extend out the slides on those sides and if it's a store here in the Southwest I'll run my genset all night in the summer. There are places in the desert SW where the summer temp doesn't drop below 100 degrees at night and it would be miserable without some cooling in the coach at night.

I don't think using a genset or extending the bedroom slides raises your profile. However, I would draw the line at putting out a barbecue or putting out chairs and tables.

Why abuse a great thing? Walmart's policy has saved me a ton of hassle and expense for a safe place to stop and sleep.
Old 07-19-2009, 02:59 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
We have used Walmart several times but always like to keep a low profile as we appreciate their accommodations. We have seen signs at some stating "No overnight parking" but truckers and RVers were everywhere and then we ran across a brand new one in Conyers, Ga east of Atlanta.

Camp Wally in Conyers, Ga
This was the nicest and possibly the Largest Walmart we have been to.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
Old 07-19-2009, 05:20 AM   #9

On our first outing, we went inside and asked for permission from the manager and he directed us to a parking area. They were great of course we did't get to comfortable.

Ray and Angie
Old 07-19-2009, 06:02 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Then we wonder why more and more municipalities across the country a passing ordnances prohibiting it.
Old 07-19-2009, 06:28 AM   #11

Politicians react to pressure from perceived voters. Most rv parking bans are due to RV Park owners objecting to losing the revenue. If it were Walmart objecting, they could simply post signs in the lot.

Charlie
06 KSDP 3910
Old 07-19-2009, 07:43 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Haven't stayed in a WalMart lot yet but do stop and shop at them. Guess what some people want to do is their business. As long as the store has no problem with slides/awnings, then I guess I don't either.

Now I have stayed in a highway rest stop - never again !! Too much truck traffic !!
Old 07-19-2009, 08:29 AM   #13

I've stayed at Walmart...but asked permission from the Manager...of course, having a shopping cart full of stuff might have helped! She told me where we could park, without bothering anyone, and it also allowed us to have a quite night too...being away from the traffic.

I would run the genset, if needed, but would keep the slide "IN", though I realize that some RVs almost have to put out the slide, to be able to get around the bed and such. I wouldn't put out the awning or the chairs and grill either. Hey, it's a place to rest, not vacation! And I for one am very thankful that they allow us to stay the night.

Some places have local ordinances that won't allow overnight parking, whether it be Walmart or on the side of the street. Often, the Walmart parking lot is not owned by Walmart, but by an separate company, and they set the rules.....they will usually post signs!

If everyone would just try and leave the places nicer than you found them, and not "step on toes" of other people or businesses, we might find that we are welcome in more places. I know many people who walk around Walmart parking lots, picking up trash, as a way of "paying" for the use of the place for the night. A very nice way to do things!
Old 07-19-2009, 01:57 PM   #14

Not cool in my oppinion. We need to keep a very low profile while staying the night at a Wal-Mart. If we don't keep our heads down, some politician will come up with a way to TAX or make legislation prohibiting this practice. I've only stayed two times at a Wal-Mart while on the road.

Nice of them to allow this.
Closed Thread

Tags
camping