Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-02-2010, 03:54 PM   #799

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD
Hi Chuck 1935,
Can you be more specific about the lack of CGs in North Florida? For me, there are many CG choices on all 3 of the Interstates. The primary Federal highways also have many CG choices.
I think he said north of Florida.
...hard to find what you aren't looking for ...but the further NE you go the more true it is...
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2010, 05:13 PM   #800

Finally made it to 800 posts.
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Old 11-02-2010, 05:59 PM   #801

Ford Super Duty Owner
Thumbs up

Ah! it lives again, life is good
Old 11-02-2010, 06:43 PM   #802

A couple of weeks ago I overnighted in a parking lot for the first time. It was very handy. I was attending a seminar. I didn't want to risk being late because I couldn't find the location the next morning, so I asked for permission to stay in their lot. A Walmart was across the street, and a Flying J nearby, so I had plenty of choices.

I had a dog with me, so by staying in the lot I could check on him during breaks, and take my noon meal with him in the camper. The second night I stayed in a very nice, near CG.

There was a time and place for both.
Crystal
Old 11-02-2010, 06:57 PM   #803

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Half Dimes,
You are correct, my bad. All, please forgive.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
Old 11-02-2010, 07:09 PM   #804

I'm well past camping at Walmart. I bought membership to Sam's Club and plan to go there. Every membership has benefits.
Old 11-02-2010, 07:54 PM   #805

Vintage RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I love the idea of staying at Wal-Mart but as a single woman, I'm leary. I regularly get funny e-mails showing the "faces of Wal-Mart". If some of those people ever showed up on my step I'd be really worried. Have any of you ever had problems with the locals? I do travel with a large dog but most would agree a Poodle is not the most intimidating looking breed.
Old 11-02-2010, 10:23 PM   #806

Quote:
Originally Posted by decodancer View Post
I love the idea of staying at Wal-Mart but as a single woman, I'm leary...
Just use your common sense. If you feel jumpy, look for someplace else to stay... not all Wal-Marts are safe, just like not all rest stops or parking lots are safe and not all campgrounds are safe. We have had one bad experience... so far I do prefer Sam's Clubs... we have a business membership ($35 per year and we can go in early before normal operating hours... they often have FREE coffee and danishes/cookies). I think they have better security at night. Don't hesitate to dial 911 in the middle of the night. Try to get everything done that you need to before it gets dark. Once dark, don't go out again. If your dog can't make it thru the night, then clip a long dog tie out to your steps or install an eye bolt on your RV next to the door. Clip the tie out to the part attached to the RV and hang it very close to the door so that you can just get your hand out to get the lead to clip on your dog. Let the dog out while you wait inside. You can clean up the poo in the morning. I like to sleep in a regular Tshirt and comfortable shorts or pants (like exercise clothes). Don't open the door at night. Keep everything locked up. Keep your windows covered and don't have signage indicating that you are a full timer (says "I have everything I own in here). You might want to get or print up a sign (or multiple ones) that says Beware of Dog. DON"T have things like "Protected by Smith & Wesson". You don't want some idiot thinking they can get a free gun off of you. DON"T OPEN THE DOOR TO ANYONE!!! Male, female, kid or cop! NO ONE! Let them hollar thru the closed door. Cops understand and the others can just deal with it.
Old 11-03-2010, 02:31 AM   #807
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorna View Post
Just use your common sense. If you feel jumpy, look for someplace else to stay... not all Wal-Marts are safe, just like not all rest stops or parking lots are safe and not all campgrounds are safe. We have had one bad experience... so far I do prefer Sam's Clubs... we have a business membership ($35 per year and we can go in early before normal operating hours... they often have FREE coffee and danishes/cookies). I think they have better security at night. Don't hesitate to dial 911 in the middle of the night. Try to get everything done that you need to before it gets dark. Once dark, don't go out again. If your dog can't make it thru the night, then clip a long dog tie out to your steps or install an eye bolt on your RV next to the door. Clip the tie out to the part attached to the RV and hang it very close to the door so that you can just get your hand out to get the lead to clip on your dog. Let the dog out while you wait inside. You can clean up the poo in the morning. I like to sleep in a regular Tshirt and comfortable shorts or pants (like exercise clothes). Don't open the door at night. Keep everything locked up. Keep your windows covered and don't have signage indicating that you are a full timer (says "I have everything I own in here). You might want to get or print up a sign (or multiple ones) that says Beware of Dog. DON"T have things like "Protected by Smith & Wesson". You don't want some idiot thinking they can get a free gun off of you. DON"T OPEN THE DOOR TO ANYONE!!! Male, female, kid or cop! NO ONE! Let them hollar thru the closed door. Cops understand and the others can just deal with it.

Very good advise. I might add that when you are out and about, always be mindfull as to who and what is going on around you.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
Old 11-03-2010, 06:02 AM   #808

Vintage RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Thanks Lorna, great advice! I travel from NY to Florida to visit family quite often and it is hard to find a convenient campground sometimes. I hate I-95 so take a western route to avoid the big citys. Long stretches without camping and most are closed off season. Lots of Wal-Marts though.
Old 11-03-2010, 07:03 AM   #809

Monaco Owners Club
We Just came to Florida from Vermont in our Dynasty! Spent a night at a couple F-Js and a night behind a Cracker B. Stayed in a RV CG in western Va. and a couple days in a nice CG in S.C.! The rig did great! Now we will stay all winter in this wonderful RV Resort In Orange City! Great heated pool and Hot tub, and some hot grandmothers in Bikinies! What could be better? allegro5
Old 11-03-2010, 08:22 AM   #810

Quote:
Originally Posted by decodancer View Post
I love the idea of staying at Wal-Mart but as a single woman, I'm leary. I regularly get funny e-mails showing the "faces of Wal-Mart". If some of those people ever showed up on my step I'd be really worried. Have any of you ever had problems with the locals? I do travel with a large dog but most would agree a Poodle is not the most intimidating looking breed.
I was camping solo when I stayed in the motel parking lot. Actually, I felt more safe there than in a secluded area of a CG. With a Walmart, two motels, and Cracker Barrel all around, the place was well lit. I arrived well after dark, but I prepared the T@B before leaving home by making sure everything I needed from the TV was in the T@B, so that I could just hop out of the TV and into the T@B and lock the door. My dog is a shih tzu, so not a typical guard dog. He alerts me, however, to things my hearing doesn't pick up. I've heard of single women sitting a very large dog bowl and tie-out outside the door, leading people to believe you have a Rotti on board

I follow the blog of a (70 ish ?) woman who travels full time solo in her T@B, often staying on parking lots. T@B Teardrop Trailer Travels
Old 11-03-2010, 11:30 AM   #811

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Chuck 1935:
Really!! Have you not read any of the threads. That is what a lot of us have been saying! Personally I don't want to drive several miles out of my way just to find a place to sleep.[/QUOTE]

OK, Ok, Lorna, I now agree with the WALMART Campers ! I can't imagine how RV Parks, except maybe the highbinders like KOA, would be unhappy with WALMART. There were none any where around to complain. See y'all at Wally World !!!!
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:54 AM   #812

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via Skype™ to idenphones
I have a confession to make.

The DW and I, left Canada headed for Florida. First night out we stayed at a Holiday Inn and I surfed the web to get caught up on all of the this that I have been missing, especially here.

The next day, we hit the road and I guess I was daydreaming as at the end of the day, I pulled into Wally World, parked, but could not get the slides to go out.

The DW finally asked me what I was doing, so I told her, opening the slides and then get the jack down.

She said, " Honey, that was a long drive but the Ford Edge does not have jacks or slides!"

Our coach was in Florida waiting for us! Sure was a long drive that day!
Closed Thread

Tags
camping