Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-13-2011, 08:07 PM   #1373

Fleetwood Owners Club
We do not have a half million dollar rig, but can afford RV parks in our travels. However, we prefer WMs to many of the parks which are available along our routes for they are either hard to find in the dark or they have turned out to be dumps when we get there. And we do enjoy the savings but if the truth were known, we probably spend more at the WMs while we are parker there then we would spend on the local RV park. For one thing there are usually eating places near by as compared to miles to drive to find one after stopping to stay in a park. So the previous writer does not really understand everyones motivation when they say all WMrs are just being cheap.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2011, 08:19 PM   #1374

Quote:
For one thing there are usually eating places near by as compared to miles to drive to find one after stopping to stay in a park. So the previous writer does not really understand everyones motivation when they say all WMrs are just being cheap.
I guess our MH is better equipped than some - or else we plan differently - we have a full kitchen in ours, freezer, refrigerator and all - and usually plan and are able to fix our own meals, anything from a quick and simple snack to a full meal, without having to drive extra miles to find a place to eat at days end...
Old 05-13-2011, 08:21 PM   #1375

We stayed at Wal-Mart 5 out of the first 6 nights on our present trip from FL to ND (so far). We then stayed at a campground several nights (Amana Colonies), then the free Winnebago plant. When we tried the Wal-Mart again in MN, it got down to the low 30's and I had to run my propane heater all night. Fortunately I have 2 AGM batteries to keep the fan going. We will be staying in campgrounds until it gets a little warmer. I have a Bi-Pap sleep apnea machine that takes some inverter power. No campground is ever as convenient as Wal-Mart. My Allstays smart phone app also tells me where they are, how far from my present position, the directions and if they allow overnight camping.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:38 PM   #1376

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary - K7GLD View Post
I guess our MH is better equipped than some - or else we plan differently - we have a full kitchen in ours, freezer, refrigerator and all - and usually plan and are able to fix our own meals, anything from a quick and simple snack to a full meal, without having to drive extra miles to find a place to eat at days end...
An Applebees sure looks nice after having fixed our own meals for an extended length of time in a remote scenic area. Or just buyer something from civilization from WM to eat is sometimes a real treat. Or often an ice cream bar will to do.
Old 05-14-2011, 10:48 AM   #1377

Quote:
Originally Posted by targaboat View Post
An Applebees sure looks nice after having fixed our own meals for an extended length of time in a remote scenic area. Or just buyer something from civilization from WM to eat is sometimes a real treat. Or often an ice cream bar will to do.
DUNNO - we BOUGHT and USE our RV as a complete home away from home, fully self contained because we choose to totally disconnect from reliance upon outside necessities while traveling, and to a large extent, at our final destination - to us, it makes about as much sense to pull our RV to a distant stopover, then frequently seek out an outside source of FOOD, as it would to drag it a long distance and then seek out a hotel/motel bedroom to SLEEP in, just "for a change".

If we want to enjoy some special meals or treats while on the road (and we often DO!), we BRING them with us, that's why our RV *is* self contained - if we didn't fully ENJOY our RV and the RV lifestyle, we wouldn't have bought it...

Sure, we occasionally eat out while at home, and while out in some tourist oriented spot, Disney World, or similar attractions, we don't frantically run back to the MH for our meals, we use what is available at hand - but what we're discussing here is out on the road and overnight - not at home or a final destination...

Over the years, I've seen and heard MANY far-out rationalizations and excuses for use of other than conventional RV overnight stays - we ourselves may well at some point also consider the use of a Walmart type of stay - and IF that DOES happen, it will be for one of only *2* basic reasons - either we can't afford to PAY for a place to stay - or else we simply don't WANT to pay for one - and, for us, to attempt to make up any other far flung reason will simply be kidding ourselves - or others.

And as I stated earlier, as we see it, current national economic conditions increasingly influence many RVers to take whatever money saving opportunities that present themselves, and that's completely understandable, hopefully, if we ever reach that point, we can face that situation with honesty, and not try to kid ourselves or others as to the real motivation.

This subject typically generates a lot of heat, especially aimed at those speaking out against Walmart RV stays, and while a few here will possibly choose to be personally offended at my comments, or respond in various forms of indignant protest or outrage, these are purely OUR opinions and viewpoints, and posted purely as an observation, not to create a riot - large OR small...

Those who truly want - or NEED a Walmart parking lot for that overnight stay - go for it - only YOU know - or NEED to know, the actual reason you are there!
Old 05-14-2011, 11:31 AM   #1378

Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
For us, if an overnight stay at a Wal Mart fits in our plans, we do it. What others think about that never comes in to play. We have only done so as an overnight stop when we will be back on the road early the next morning, or there have been times when we have arrived at our destination too late to get into the CG where we have reservations. So far, every time we have overnighted at a Wal Mart, we have shopped there, and spent well over $100 each time. Sometimes 2 or 3 hundred.

There was, heaven forbid, one time when we actually spent two nights (may have even been 3, but I think it was 2) in a row at a Wal Mart. Of course, we had no rear brakes, and the time we spent there was exactly the amount of time it took me to locate a part, and refill the brake fluid, and bleed the system so it would be safe to proceed. We went to the manager of the Wal Mart, told him our situation, and he told us to stay until it was safe to leave, and even helped us locate a NAPA store in the area that turned out to have the part we needed in stock.

While there we bought new house batteries at the very same Wal Mart (was badly needed) and I even changed the oil in my generator. Of course all the fluids and whatever tools I needed were right there for us, and we took advantage of that also. We were parked out of the way, and they had so many open spaces that no one ever got close to us.

I imagined there were many non RVers and Rvers alike that had a real problem with seeing me on that lot more than one night, and even working on my rig. But I've always figured that whatever anyone else thinks of me is none of my business. As for me, when I see a rig on a Wal Mart, I try to reserve judgement, remembering the time we really had no choice.
Old 05-14-2011, 11:42 AM   #1379

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmiles View Post
For us, if an overnight stay at a Wal Mart fits in our plans, we do it. What others think about that never comes in to play. We have only done so as an overnight stop when we will be back on the road early the next morning, or there have been times when we have arrived at our destination too late to get into the CG where we have reservations. So far, every time we have overnighted at a Wal Mart, we have shopped there, and spent well over $100 each time. Sometimes 2 or 3 hundred.

There was, heaven forbid, one time when we actually spent two nights (may have even been 3, but I think it was 2) in a row at a Wal Mart. Of course, we had no rear brakes, and the time we spent there was exactly the amount of time it took me to locate a part, and refill the brake fluid, and bleed the system so it would be safe to proceed. We went to the manager of the Wal Mart, told him our situation, and he told us to stay until it was safe to leave, and even helped us locate a NAPA store in the area that turned out to have the part we needed in stock.

While there we bought new house batteries at the very same Wal Mart (was badly needed) and I even changed the oil in my generator. Of course all the fluids and whatever tools I needed were right there for us, and we took advantage of that also. We were parked out of the way, and they had so many open spaces that no one ever got close to us.

I imagined there were many non RVers and Rvers alike that had a real problem with seeing me on that lot more than one night, and even working on my rig. But I've always figured that whatever anyone else thinks of me is none of my business. As for me, when I see a rig on a Wal Mart, I try to reserve judgement, remembering the time we really had no choice.
Twice in 50 years or so of RVing, and out on the road in our 5th wheel, we too have had mechanical or similar issues - and fully appreciated the rest stop and abandoned service station we were forced to stay in overnight until repairs were made. We can only hope that the availability of these spots - and the various Walmarts and similar "hospitality spaces" will continue to remain available as their need inevitably increases.

Peace!
Old 05-14-2011, 12:02 PM   #1380

Monaco Owners Club
And the beat goes on.....back to pictures, that was a great idea, hope someone gets ours tomorrow night.

Rule #3 No self portraits...that would be unfair self promotion.
Old 05-14-2011, 12:10 PM   #1381

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary - K7GLD View Post

While a few here will possibly choose to be personally offended at my comments, or respond in various forms of indignant protest or outrage, these are purely OUR opinions and viewpoints, and posted purely as an observation, not to create a riot - large OR small...
Dude, you just LOVE to stir the pot.....
Old 05-14-2011, 12:12 PM   #1382

Fleetwood Owners Club
It would really be awful if this WM parking thing was to escalate to the point where the RVs created a problem at the various WM stores which would negatively affect the availability of these lots for RV over night parking. Therefore, my standard response from now on it is going to be that a WM lot is probably one of the most dangerous areas to stay because they are usually located in a slum section of town. In addition there are all of the truck traffic, truck generators, sweeper machines, drug dealers, and lots of other late night traffic to keep the poor RV people awake. Therefore, anyone contemplated such a stay should really reconsider the advantages of a safe, quiet, and hookup equipped camp ground.
Old 05-14-2011, 12:22 PM   #1383

Quote:
This subject typically generates a lot of heat, especially aimed at those speaking out against Walmart RV stays, and while a few here will possibly choose to be personally offended at my comments, or respond in various forms of indignant protest or outrage, these are purely OUR opinions and viewpoints, and posted purely as an observation, not to create a riot - large OR small...
Well only because it is offensive to repeatedly criticize someones actions in an attempt to convince them that your opinion should be theres. But thats ok.... keep them coming as it does fuel the thread and soon we will be at 2000 and can throw a party.....
Old 05-14-2011, 12:33 PM   #1384

I'm surprised someone hasen't come up having a RV rally in a WM lot.
Old 05-14-2011, 12:39 PM   #1385
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry White View Post
I'm surprised someone hasen't come up having a RV rally in a WM lot.
Care to volunteer to host one?
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
Old 05-14-2011, 12:41 PM   #1386

I don't think that would fly.
Closed Thread

Tags
camping