Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-14-2011, 08:09 PM   #1401

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary - K7GLD View Post
Over the years, I've seen and heard MANY far-out rationalizations and excuses for use of other than conventional RV overnight stays - we ourselves may well at some point also consider the use of a Walmart type of stay - and IF that DOES happen, it will be for one of only *2* basic reasons - either we can't afford to PAY for a place to stay - or else we simply don't WANT to pay for one - and, for us, to attempt to make up any other far flung reason will simply be kidding ourselves - or others.

And as I stated earlier, as we see it, current national economic conditions increasingly influence many RVers to take whatever money saving opportunities that present themselves, and that's completely understandable, hopefully, if we ever reach that point, we can face that situation with honesty, and not try to kid ourselves or others as to the real motivation.
Well, speaking for myself, for reasons that do not include money, I do stay at Walmart sometimes when we are on the road. My latest example is our trip to Florida last month. We departed home after work and the children finished school. Got on the road about 4:00 P.M. Made it to KY around midnight and stopped at a Walmart. No way am I going to pull in at a campground that time of night. Especially when I just want 6 hours or so of sleep. So I think the working stiffs have to be included in any rationalizations. We have to make the most of our limited time off of work.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2011, 09:04 PM   #1402

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJay View Post
Sure feel free. After spending my entire life on the east coast and then spending the majority of my time fulltiming west of the Rockies it was a realization that struck me, I thought it was original but I guess you can find most anything now on the internet. Maybe I thought of it through osmosis.
As far as I know it is your original saying it just stuck in the back of my mind after I read it. It fit my way of thinking as well, having spent the last 50 years RVing in the west. Thanks!
Old 05-15-2011, 12:48 AM   #1403

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Old 05-15-2011, 03:33 AM   #1404
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mythplaced View Post
I saw this several years ago on another forum; can't remember the website. It was funny then and it is funny now. By now they have built a Walmart where the tree used to be!
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
Old 05-15-2011, 03:38 AM   #1405
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
We are going to visit my daughter and son in law in Zacary, La but due to the limited number of campgrounds close by and the flooding of the Mississippi river, there are no openings in any campgrounds that are safe. Therefore, we may have to spend a few days at Wally World. I will be sure to take plenty of pics.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
Old 05-15-2011, 04:31 AM   #1406

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by targaboat View Post
We do not have a half million dollar rig, but can afford RV parks in our travels. However, we prefer WMs to many of the parks which are available along our routes for they are either hard to find in the dark or they have turned out to be dumps when we get there. And we do enjoy the savings but if the truth were known, we probably spend more at the WMs while we are parker there then we would spend on the local RV park. For one thing there are usually eating places near by as compared to miles to drive to find one after stopping to stay in a park. So the previous writer does not really understand everyones motivation when they say all WMrs are just being cheap.
You are 100% correct, don't care what a rig cost. Convenience is why we stay at a Walmart. Easy off and on and all the convenience of 24 hr. store and outside stores.
Old 05-15-2011, 04:40 AM   #1407

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry White View Post
I don't think that would fly.
Car shows, RV shows, Fire works tents. Walmart would allow anything that draws people to there stores. Walmart needs $89,000.00 per day to make a store work.
Old 05-15-2011, 04:41 AM   #1408

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Wizard View Post
We are going to visit my daughter and son in law in Zacary, La but due to the limited number of campgrounds close by and the flooding of the Mississippi river, there are no openings in any campgrounds that are safe. Therefore, we may have to spend a few days at Wally World. I will be sure to take plenty of pics.
And you were asking of closing this thread. Your reports will keep us going for a while thanks.
Old 05-15-2011, 05:02 AM   #1409

Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary - K7GLD View Post
Not hard to figure out - hard as it is for most to admit, it's all about rationalization and justification for embarrassing personal choices and actions - totally unnecessary, since the Walmart parking spaces are not for sale or rent, no need to bribe the manager, but freely there for the taking...

Besides, would they have BOUGHT that stuff, if they really didn't WANT it - or do they toss it all in the nearest dumpster as they leave the store?
Actually when I posted how much I spend when I go into Wal Mart I was just stating a fact, not justifying anything. Once again, I could not care less about what others think. The only opinion that counts to me is that of the manager of that store at that time. But yes, you are correct...I would have bought that stuff whether I was parking overnight, or just long enough to shop.

But, since you seem to know what's going on in my mind better than I do, what looks good for breakfast this morning?
Old 05-15-2011, 06:46 AM   #1410

Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ok I confess I use Wal-Mart because I am lazy. When I am ready to stop all I want to do is hop off the big road and drop anchor, restock if necessary, and grab some sleep. No planning, no reservations, and no hassles.
Old 05-15-2011, 07:13 AM   #1411

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Has anyone stayed at a WM because of a reservation mixup and you couldn't get into a popular resort campground or you just didn't make reservations and there was no room at the end or a campground that used to be there was suddenly closed?
Old 05-15-2011, 07:35 AM   #1412

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to fxdave
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudpuppy View Post
Ok I confess I use Wal-Mart because I am lazy. When I am ready to stop all I want to do is hop off the big road and drop anchor, restock if necessary, and grab some sleep. No planning, no reservations, and no hassles.
exactly we just did it again in spartanburg sc!
Old 05-15-2011, 07:54 AM   #1413

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtroop View Post
Well, speaking for myself, for reasons that do not include money, I do stay at Walmart sometimes when we are on the road. My latest example is our trip to Florida last month. We departed home after work and the children finished school. Got on the road about 4:00 P.M. Made it to KY around midnight and stopped at a Walmart. No way am I going to pull in at a campground that time of night. Especially when I just want 6 hours or so of sleep. So I think the working stiffs have to be included in any rationalizations. We have to make the most of our limited time off of work.
Couldn't agree more for myself, late starts, easy to stop insted of campground at midnight, early start to get to destination and load up on supplies for weekend, some of us still work and leave when we can to get a jump on the travel, I don't feel like I'm freeloading or anything of the sort and I don't care what others do or don't do, or think. I don't judge others and please don't judge me. Did you know that most cabellas also have Dump stations and dog runs and its all free, they like wallmarts, bass pro ect. don;t have a problem with Overnight stays, Happy travels to all.
Old 05-15-2011, 07:58 AM   #1414

Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
And before anybody goes all "Private Detective" on me and drags up old posts. Yes I am a cheap "thrifty" son of a gun and have said I do not like to spend money on services I do not need.
Closed Thread

Tags
camping