Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-07-2011, 07:43 PM   #1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by targaboat View Post
Walmarts do not have open wifi sites. If there is an open site where you park on a Walmart lot then it is coming from someone else. Therefore, these wifi posts are completely irrelevant to this Walmart post.

As for the the legality of using an open wifi site, that is also not related to WM. It is just useless jabbering.
For those of us who actually stay at Wal-Mart, both subjects are very relevant. Actually, I have used an open site from Wal-Mart several times in the last few weeks. Frequently they have a Subway, McDonald's, or other fast food franchises inside their stores with an open WiFi. This is more and more common. Real Wal-Mart overnighters don't consider it useless jabbering at all.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2011, 07:55 PM   #1976

Fleetwood Owners Club
We ARE a frequent user of Walmart sites. I doubt that Walmart owns those sites so why is the issue relevant to staying at WM?

Also, we have never been able to get free wifi in a WM lot. Maybe we stay the low end ones.

We need to get wifi availability listed in the various WM availability lists.
Old 07-07-2011, 07:56 PM   #1977

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHingFun View Post
With your subsequent responses, it appears that you were not asking for pro/con opinions as much as you were seeking affirmation of what you wanted to do.
I believe I was asking which one since the city left me few good options in SPITE of several phone calls to city hall and the appropriate departments...I've been off of work since October and things are kind of tight right now. Getting gas money just to move the RV here is going to be a stretch. I've got time on my hand and just want to do s good INTERIOR cleaning and some painting and caulk a few seems, nothing drastic but time consuming...
Old 07-07-2011, 08:04 PM   #1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by targaboat View Post
We ARE a frequent user of Walmart sites. I doubt that Walmart owns those sites so why is the issue relevant to staying at WM?

Also, we have never been able to get free wifi in a WM lot. Maybe we stay the low end ones.

We need to get wifi availability listed in the various WM availability lists.

I like to use the internet and I like to stay at Wal-Mart. We get WiFi at about half of them. Usually it is from fast food places nearby or individuals. Staying at Wal-Mart with WiFi is much better than staying without it, so it is very relevant to me. I have an omnidiredtional USB antenna which can pull in a signal from about half a mile.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:12 PM   #1979

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay Richards View Post
......Verizon has now done away with unlimited data for new customers so my Android is still going to be an option for tethering until I need a new phone.
You might want to double check. Just switched from Sprint (after 10 years with them) to Verizon with an unlimited data plan.

Sheila
Old 07-07-2011, 08:20 PM   #1980

If you look at your own rig rv trailer motorhome class a b c it does not matter, you will be seen because you can not park in a standard size parking spot. If we were camping in cars we would not stick out. I may be new to rv's I shop at walmart where I live and see the campers lined up all the time. Keep shopping and thanking the store for their use of the rest area for travlers.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:22 PM   #1981

Heartland RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay Richards View Post
I like to use the internet and I like to stay at Wal-Mart. We get WiFi at about half of them. Usually it is from fast food places nearby or individuals. Staying at Wal-Mart with WiFi is much better than staying without it, so it is very relevant to me. I have an omnidiredtional USB antenna which can pull in a signal from about half a mile.
What kind of antenna you use while staying at Walmart,and getting free WIFI? ,do you partake in the free coffee I have heard some say they have?

Now if we could only get some free health care...
Old 07-07-2011, 08:22 PM   #1982

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWGirl

You might want to double check. Just switched from Sprint (after 10 years with them) to Verizon with an unlimited data plan.

Sheila
You must have switched before TODAY. As of July 7th, Verizon is no longer offering unlimited data to new customers.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:25 PM   #1983

"""You might want to double check. Just switched from Sprint (after 10 years with them) to Verizon with an unlimited data plan.""""

You just got in. The changeover date was next week I believe. They have a 2,5, and 10 GIG plan. Old customers like us can use the unlimited as long as our plan last.

Verizon ends unlimited data plan - Jul. 5, 2011
Old 07-07-2011, 09:00 PM   #1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuge View Post
I believe I was asking which one since the city left me few good options in SPITE of several phone calls to city hall and the appropriate departments...I've been off of work since October and things are kind of tight right now. Getting gas money just to move the RV here is going to be a stretch. I've got time on my hand and just want to do s good INTERIOR cleaning and some painting and caulk a few seems, nothing drastic but time consuming...

Ok, now it is clear that you were not asking WHETHER you should ask for the extended stays for your maintenance work, but rather you were asking opinions of WHICH of WalMart or Cabela's that you should ask.

Just another idea, wondering if it would work for you. You said that you don't get to spend enough time at your vacation property 85 miles away where your MH is normally parked. You also say that you have time on your hands but limited funds; I'm sure that you have thought about the fuel-$$ savings if you were able to find a way to stay there just long enough to do your work, rather than driving it back and forth.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:39 PM   #1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHingFun View Post
Ok, now it is clear that you were not asking WHETHER you should ask for the extended stays for your maintenance work, but rather you were asking opinions of WHICH of WalMart or Cabela's that you should ask.

Just another idea, wondering if it would work for you. You said that you don't get to spend enough time at your vacation property 85 miles away where your MH is normally parked. You also say that you have time on your hands but limited funds; I'm sure that you have thought about the fuel-$$ savings if you were able to find a way to stay there just long enough to do your work, rather than driving it back and forth.
I help the DW watch four grand kids during the day now while the daughters work. A few hours a day would get the job done without completely abandoning her to the little ones...I don't know WHAT she's going to do when I get back to work..We have been weighing all our options and have been looking for a way to get it done for the last 6 months...I really DO appreciate the positive suggestions...
Old 07-07-2011, 09:50 PM   #1986

Appalachian Campers
Send a message via Yahoo to W4RLR
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWGirl View Post

Sheila
And today Verizon announced they are discontinuing the unlimited data plan. Enjoy it while you can, because when your contract comes up for renewal, it will be gone. As is the case with everything, TANSTAAFL.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 07-07-2011, 10:05 PM   #1987

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rray32539
And today Verizon announced they are discontinuing the unlimited data plan. Enjoy it while you can, because when your contract comes up for renewal, it will be gone. As is the case with everything, TANSTAAFL.
I wonder if that will be the case on contract renewal. With AT&T, I'm grandfathered in with my unlimited data plan. Even though they were no longer offering unlimited data at the time, I still have it after my contract renewal last year. As long as I don't change my plan in any way, I get to keep unlimited data (for use in Walmart parking lots)*. Maybe Verizon will be the same.

*Added to stay on topic.
Old 07-07-2011, 11:12 PM   #1988

These past couple of days in SoCal were definitely truck stop nights... with the temps high even at night, we only turned off the generator to check oil levels every 6-8 hours.

Not to mention I don't think any of the LA-area walmarts allow overnight parking...

Steve
Closed Thread

Tags
camping