Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-18-2012, 08:07 AM   #1
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Wandering RV Help

We just did our 1st outting in our new to us HR. Aside from the ice maker water line springing a leak and doucing the furnace below and losing our heat in the mountains overnight at 38 degrees, the only issue I'd like to solve is on the drive. (furnace dried out and fridge line to come)

I find that I have to constantly correct the steering when going down the road. Left right left right left right. Felt like I should have had a drill sargent in my ear the whole time. It gets tiring constantly correcting.

What's the best solution for this? I checked the tire pressure before I left and all good.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2012, 08:34 AM   #2

Yup.. left..right..left..right..you have a Workhorse chassis ! My recommendation is that if your tire pressures are set a the maximum, remove 10% ... if you've never done so, take it and have an alignment done. Then have a Safe-T-Plus installed and that should cure your trouble. This will also help if your coach has an unusually long overhang and you tow a car. Workhorse was attempting to give a DP ride on a gas chassis when they designed the suspension, and as a result they can be a bit squirrely on the road.

rvguy40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:43 AM   #3

Sounds like some worn front end components need replaced, tire rotation/replacement (check tire dates and condition), followed by alignment.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:46 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
First step in driving any class A (not just a Workhorse) is to look a little farther down the road and not concentrate on every little movement. Once you start 'correcting' you will need to correct the correction etc. rvguy40 is correct about getting the MH weighed and then you should adjust your tire pressures according to those weights. You will find a lot of posts on the website about that procedure. After you do those two things then you can think about the other stuff. Another tip.... slow down a little. It is not important that you keep up with all the other traffic.

Good luck.
JayGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 08:51 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Your driving technique is the first thing to fix, per JayGee suggestion. Then make sure the tire pressure is set correctly for the weight and they front end is properly aligned. If more is needed, I would install a Track Bar, e.g. the Davis (Roadmaster) Tru-Track on the front or Henderson SuperSteer on the rear.

Here is an article I wrote a few years ago that covers a variety of motorhome handling problems and solutions.
Motorhome Handling Primer
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 04:10 PM   #6

All good suggestions. We have the same chassis and I can only tell you what worked for us.

I did the 4 corner weigh in/adj tire pressure. It also definitely helps to relax the death grip on the steering wheel and to look further down the road. Had the front end aligned with 5 degrees more positive caster(that made a big difference in tracking and ease of steering). Still had what I thought was too much steering correction(winds). Installed Koni FSD shocks...helped somewhat but still the coach was affected by crosswinds and passing semis. The shocks did help tremendously with excessive sway/roll and the porpoising at bridge and road section expansion joints.

I then installed the BlueOX TigerTrack rear bar(although they all do the same basic thing, I just liked this model). This was the single most effective upgrade we did. So much so, I've forgone all the sway bar and true tracker/centering mechanisms. Now, I'm not saying everything's perfect(it's still a big solid axle, leaf spring chassis), but I feel now I'm very much in control and I'm not sweating bullets anymore. I really like driving this behemoth now. Bob

RIP 'Squeaky'
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:09 PM   #7

Have same W22 chassis and repair shop manager recommended the larger steering wheel from the W24 chassis. Helped some, but not a cheap date.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:39 PM   #8
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GULFer View Post
Have same W22 chassis and repair shop manager recommended the larger steering wheel from the W24 chassis. Helped some, but not a cheap date.
How would a larger steering wheel help?
Old 04-25-2012, 08:47 PM   #9
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
I don't notice anything when semi's go by or crosswinds. I don't have a death grip on the wheel. It just feels like a constant left right left right correction and it bugs me I can't take my eyes off the road and enjoy the scenery without correcting or I'll drift.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:54 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Congrats on your first trip Les,

After a few more trips you will get used to the steering and you won't require a death grip on the steering wheel.

As others have suggested make sure your tire pressure is right for your coach. If you over inflate you will have a rougher ride and a tendency to wander all over the road.

So before you make any purchases get the coach weighed, correct the air pressure in the tires and get out there and drive it until you get comfortable.

Good Luck,
Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:04 PM   #11
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
That's one thing I haven't done yet is have the coach weighed. I'll do the no-cost things first and go from there.

Thanks all for comments so far!
Old 04-25-2012, 09:04 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
I suggest a good front end alignment and inspection of the bushings.
When I first got my 90 pace arrow it was like trying to herd a group of
cats down the road but after replacing some warn parts and a alignment
very easy to drive.

wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote