Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2015, 08:35 PM   #1

Wanderlust Tribe RV search!

Hello everyone! As mentioned in the newbie check-in board, my family and I are looking to buy a outstandingly cheap RV, fix it up in 2 months and hit the road for an awesome expedition around the country lasting 6 months or longer.

Here is a link to our sort introduction video

While browsing Craigslist in our area i stumbled across a Toyota Rv that seemed to be a great price for one and the pictures of it were awesome. The price of the Toyota was 2900 obo. I figured this was past my initial budget, but we would save it on gas! How could we go wrong?! So the three of us packed into Bea's Car (Bea being my lovely fiancee) and off we went to Lehigh Acres, about an hour drive from us. I am not sure if people know this, but if you are selling something on the internet, it is best to have recent photos of it. Or the least you could do is possibly wash it. Just saying. With that stated it wasn't awful either just was worse the we were led to believe.
This is what we saw when we pulled up their driveway.

The roof had leaked fairly badly in the bathroom at the rear of the coach. The floors where soft throughout the entire thing, the worst part had at least a one inch of travel. The owner stated the refrigerator and generator did not work. That is all we needed to see and hear to know this was not the one, but we continued to look just in case there was something that could bring me back, sadly there was not. The cab was in great condition, and the seats were awesomely comfortable. Started and ran awesome. This was another one of those time where i felt bad for the Rv and imagined it on the road with a family again, but I knew I had to stay strong and continue to look.. We will continue our search and keep everyone updated on the search/

Here are a few more photos of the Toyota.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2015, 09:35 PM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
You're being unrealistic. You're money would be better spent renting a small Class C for six months. Anything in your price range will cost you the initial 1-2K, 2K to make road worthy and probably 1K a month to keep it on the road.

Your other option would be to buy and inexpensive trailer and tow it. Anything motorized in your price range will be a money pit, nasty inside and broke down every 500 miles.

Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 10:12 AM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I admire your enthusiasm but I'm afraid Don is right! You could be getting yourself into a real mess here!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 10:41 AM   #4

This is your journey, and you will know if it becomes unrealistic or not. Enjoy the looking and planning! I remember a story about a guy who had a plastic paper clip, and through a nearly endless series of trades, worked up to a car or something like that. You might find someone who likes your cause, a quick estate sale, or a cosmetic wreck that still has a purring heart.

I see stuff that looks worse than the two RVs you passed on driving by nearly every day.

In my mind, the worst case is you buy something, it breaks 100 miles down the road, you go home. You write a great blog for us to read, and the kids have some rocking "what I did last summer" reports.

I look forward to your next report. If you come through Tucson, Starbucks on me!

Matt B
Old 06-11-2015, 11:17 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote: In my mind, the worst case is you buy something, it breaks 100 miles down the road, you go home. You write a great blog for us to read, and the kids have some rocking "what I did last summer" reports. End Quote

If I remember correctly, this was to be their "HOME".

Jim & Shirley & Abbie (Scottie)
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911
2005 Dodge Grand Caravan
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad, Remco Lube Pump, 5 Star Tune, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, Coach Net Emergency Road Service, FMCA 378968
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 08:14 PM   #6

Thanks everyone for your opinions!

OldMattB, Thanks for the cool post! I've heard of that guy and has been an inspiration for me haha. I love trading stuff for other stuff.

For some, what we plan on doing scares people, makes them nervous or they think we are fools. I can understand, and it's ok. Trust me, I wish there was a way to buy one without a huge loan but in the situation we are in that can't happen. From my experience, no matter what RV you have there will always be issues. My dad owns a 2007 Winnie Voyage 32, Since he bought it a year ago from an RV dealer the alternator went out, there are electrical issues, the jacks are sporadic and leaks around the front windshield. He paid 65k for his. Just seems to me like no price range is out of the reach of the ever creeping black cloud of problems. I of course am not comparing a 2k rig with a 70k rig, Just stating the fact that problems could be around for every single one of our rigs.

Here is another video about our trip
Old 06-12-2015, 09:26 PM   #7

Looked at another Rv today.

So, as promised the three of us went to look at another RV today. Unfortunately we have bad news about this one too...

You might end up seeing us on the road this summer!!! We bought it!

Our Wanderlust wagon is a 1978 Holiday Rambler Imperial 24' with only 28k miles on the clock, and 38 hours on the generator. I'll get to the best part, It runs, drives and is not a hunk of crap. Honestly though it was a very well maintained on the interior, with very little use. I am almost certain the refrigerator and stove were never used. We plugged the camper into the house to test some of the electrical appliances, the roof a/c blew ice cold within about a minute. Then engine Ran awesome and started right up, the brakes felt great and the transmission shits as it should. The tires are shot, but comes with six basically new tires ready to be installed. No signs of a roof leak ever. I think we have found a time capsule.

Of course it will need some work on a couple things, I am not sure if the fridge works, the propane tank was empty so there was no way to test the stove. There is some surface rust on the cab that i will be addressing in upcoming videos along with all of the other repairs and modifications we do to the RV.

Now, you may be asking yourself... What did they pay for it? Well, We walked out the door with the title and keys in exchange for... wait for it... $1700. We are very excited to have found such an awesome RV with in our budget.

Old 06-12-2015, 11:16 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
That is just too cool! Have a blast.
Old 06-13-2015, 03:32 AM   #9

Regarding the operation of the transmission, I hope you meant "shifts"!

Stove is a very simple appliance - few reasons it would need more than disassembly and cleaning. The refrigerator is a bit more complicated, but repairable if there is a problem. If repairs look too expensive, you could install a residential style and commit to running the generator regularly, stoke the old one with dry ice, or just use a cooler and ice.

It has a nice patina in the photos - I am so excited for you guys!

Quiet time here so I can't rewatch the videos. What part of the country are you located? I want to come help!
Old 06-13-2015, 09:00 AM   #10
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Congratulations! Sure glad you found what you were looking for!

I'm sure you will have her in tip-top condition in no time at all!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

Old 06-13-2015, 09:09 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolRV View Post
Our Wanderlust wagon is a 1978 Holiday Rambler Imperial 24' with only 28k miles on the clock, and 38 hours on the generator. I'll get to the best part, It runs, drives
Congratulations on a great find.
Old 06-13-2015, 11:14 AM   #12

Thanks!

Oldmattb - The trans does in fact shiFt great! haha We are in South west Florida, and if you are around here that would be awesome! Where are you located?

Thank you everyone for the great comments! We left the RV at the previous owners house, and it will stay there for another week while it gets registered and insured. The drive home will be about 110 miles so I order some "Just in case" parts off of rockauto.com. (New Radiator hoses, thermostat, spark plug wires, coil, fuel filter, ect.).

Now that we have it everything becomes real, and fast. We have 7 weeks to pack our stuff that we are keeping, move it into a storage unit, sell what we no longer want, and Fix up the old girl!

One of the major modifications I am planning to do is add 200 watts of solar from Renogy to the roof on tilt-able brackets. Has any one on here purchased anything from Renogy? They seem like a great company with great reviews.
Old 06-13-2015, 04:10 PM   #13
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolRV View Post
Oldmattb - The trans does in fact shiFt great! haha We are in South west Florida, and if you are around here that would be awesome! Where are you located?

Thank you everyone for the great comments! We left the RV at the previous owners house, and it will stay there for another week while it gets registered and insured. The drive home will be about 110 miles so I order some "Just in case" parts off of rockauto.com. (New Radiator hoses, thermostat, spark plug wires, coil, fuel filter, ect.).

Now that we have it everything becomes real, and fast. We have 7 weeks to pack our stuff that we are keeping, move it into a storage unit, sell what we no longer want, and Fix up the old girl!

One of the major modifications I am planning to do is add 200 watts of solar from Renogy to the roof on tilt-able brackets. Has any one on here purchased anything from Renogy? They seem like a great company with great reviews.

You're gonna be one busy boy!

Old 06-14-2015, 11:15 AM   #14

We are in Arizona, so it would be difficult for me to drop by. I will send good vibes instead, and post when questions pop up.

I am encouraged by your purchase of "just in case" parts - you seem to have a good understanding of what you are getting into.

In our circumstance, we don't rely on solar much, though we have a small panel. We typically run the generator several hours a day, and otherwise run lights and etc. off the two huge house batteries. In my hardly relevant opinion, if the panels won't run the Keurig machine...

Keep us posted, amigos!

Matt B