Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2011, 12:00 PM   #1

Wannabes looking for guidance

Recently retired couple, completely new to RVing. We have been shopping Lite Weight TT's - everything from R-Pods to Keystone Premiers and just seem to be getting more confused. Since we are new to this, we are looking at units around 18ft. to 22ft with a max of 24ft. Will be pulling with a Nissan Frontier and it will just be the two of us camping. Any feedback/suggestions are appreciated. Also, is there a "neutral" website that rates all models?
Gusto2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2011, 01:36 PM   #2

Gusto, many thing depend on what , where , when , how, and what you expect out of rving, to get the answers that u are looking for.

Provide that info and Ill bet you get some good uns.
mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 06:00 PM   #3

Mick is right on target, more info would help
bbeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 07:19 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies. As far as knowing what we want, our goal at first is to basically have a nice place to come back to at night and "sleep on our own sheets" after sightseeing, etc. Right now we do not see ourselves as staying at a campground for more than 2 or 3 days at a time. We enjoy visiting new places so not looking to spend many hours during the day in the camper, or a lot of cooking there. Since we are retired, will probably start by traveling mostly during the spring and fall around the southeastern US and see how it goes from there.

Loved the cuteness of the "pod" style, but we really want a separate shower and a regular mattress, so not sure if those would work.

Would love to hear feedback from owners of the smaller TT's, especially the 18 - 22ft. size. Our tow limit is 6,000 lbs.
Thanks for any and all advice.
Old 07-23-2011, 08:31 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Hi Gusto and . Congrats on your retirement and welcome to the RV lifestyle. Be careful. I bought my first RV shortly after retiring 6 years ago and ended up selling the house and going full time!

I'll let our trailer experts give you specific recommendations but wanted to welcome you.

Best of luck...

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 07:35 AM   #6

The best advice I can give is to get a bed that you can walk around both side. Our first toy hauler had a queen that was against the front wall and whoever was in front had to crawl over the other one to get up, plus it was always a fight to see who put sheets on the bed. Get as much room as your tow vehicle will allow, some 5th wheels are 1/2 ton towable and are easier to tow because of better weight distribution.
Old 07-24-2011, 07:46 AM   #7

Just noticed that your tow vehicle is a frontier, I had one with a V6 and it's not a great tow vehicle, towed a boat instead of a RV ( about 3500 lbs) and it was ok locally but a struggle on the highway, just not enough torque. Mine had an automatic and was constantly shifting gears even in tow mode. Be very aware of tongue weight because the frontier will squat a lot , a weight distribution hitch will be a must. A 5th wheel is probably not an option.
Old 07-24-2011, 08:45 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
The trailers you are looking at are entry level trailers. With a vehicle like the Frontier, I would stay with 18 to 19' as a maximum. There is basically not enough truck to comfortable tow more than about 4000# loaded and 19' long.

Just having the engine and power to tow is only part of the equation. The other part is to have enough vehicle to control the trailer.

We have been the route of a small tow vehicle and a 19' trailer. It would tow it OK, but was tiring to drive for an extended time.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 02:11 PM   #9

Our Frontier is a 2011 so the towing ability has been increased somewhat; however, we realize there will be limitations and really want to stay at under 4,000 lbs.
Looked at Dutchmen Aerolites earlier today at dealership. The 189 Queen Bed looked like a good fit (had the walk-around bed). Will look at lighter weight Edge (Heartland?) later in the week.
The dealerships here in north Florida don't seem to have the inventory we had hoped for, but we have been told that if we buy out of the area, we may have trouble getting service from local dealers. Anyone had this happen?
Appreciate all replies.
Sarah & Russ
Old 07-24-2011, 04:05 PM   #10

If a dealer has the choice between a unit they sold and one from another dealer you can bet they work on theirs first, it's just simple customer service. But they also have a service department to keep open so they are not likely to turn business away either. Ask lots of questions on here, you will get lots of opinions even a few good ones. I think buying a RV is like building a house, you have to build/ buy 3 in order to get what you really want so any experience you can get from other people's mistakes is money in your pocket. I bought what I thought I wanted the first time, kept it two years, found my mistakes and traded last December. I already have found things I will change and look for next time??? I would suggest buying used and use it for a period of time and then trade for what you want after you learn what you want after you figure out exactly what you want. That may sound expensive but will probably save you money in the long run. I'll be willing to bet a steak and cold beer you are shopping for a Titan or other full size truck within a year of your RV purchase. It may be cliche but there's no substitute for weight and cubic inches when towing and stopping especially stopping! Welcome to the family.
Old 07-24-2011, 04:11 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to W8RLM
Congratulations on your retirement. You might want to consider the following:

1. Bed - Great advice already.

2. Can you go into the bathroom, sit on the toilet, and close the door? Believe it or not, some small units (from experience) make that almost impossible.

3. Can you get in the shower stall, close the door, and wash your feet?

4. Can you both sit at the dinette/table and eat? Some dinettes are so small that you have to inhale to get behind the table (again, experience)

5. Do you have enough room to store the clothes that you plan on carrying?

6. If you are stuck in the trailer all day while it is raining, will both of you be able to relax and survive all day? I know that you are limited in space with the smaller unit.

7. Since you are traveling around the Southeast, see if the dealer will run the air conditioner for you and make sure that all parts of the trailer are cool enough for you.

That will give you some ideas to compare trailers.

I've worked at RV shows and have given these ideas to folks that come through asking much the same question that you have.

Tags
heartland