Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-24-2010, 06:59 PM   #29

Thanks everyone! Ques. on Allegro?

It appears were all out of options locally for the Winnebagos/Itascas unless we move into the late 2000s. I guess I get to wait now until more comes on the market.

In the mean time I just checked and a 29 ft 1999 Allegro is newly available. I can't find info. on it from Tiffin so not sure if we should go this route as I like having all the old schematics, brochures etc. available. Anyone own this unit who can provide me with input on it? How noisy is it? How is the engine? How hard is it to find information for repairs?

Thanks,
Michelle
micd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2010, 07:16 PM   #30

That was my plan, something below 30', in the mid 90's. But most important it had to have a walk around queen bed, OBD 2, fuel injected with OD and leveling jacks. Ended up with a 32.5. Screw the floor plan and slide outs. Traded up from a 27 footer and got better mileage and HP. Has to be 96 or newer. I and DW am very happy with our selection.
Old 05-24-2010, 07:17 PM   #31

Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by micd View Post
If I can find the safety/testing info on the Safari Trek I'm becoming more open to the ceiling bed as I look as I'm starting to see how that could really be an advantage. Any links to their safety testing?

Thanks again!

Michelle
You could go with a ClassB+, no ceiling bed, and 24 footers abound in this class, up to about 30. As far as saftey testing, I don't have any information on testing.

I will tell you this...I feel me and my family are much safer in our class B+ than we ever were in the Class A. But that is just my feelings on the subject for our situation. Totally unscientific.
Old 05-24-2010, 07:44 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by micd
If I can find the safety/testing info on the Safari Trek I'm becoming more open to the ceiling bed as I look as I'm starting to see how that could really be an advantage. Any links to their safety testing?

Thanks again!

Michelle
I'd REALLY think twice about that ceiling bed setup - sure, provides a little extra floor space, but we often appreciate the ability to lie down for a nap when we feel like it, especially if the weather is a bit sour for outdoors activities. In that case, the requirement to lower the bed, with the accompanying intrusion into the living space, severely outweighs the "extra" room the rest of the time. We're like the fella above, one prime requirement was for a walk-around queen bed, and we LOVE it! I've already shown a pic of our bed from the front room area - here's a view from the bed looking forward:

I sure wouldn't trade this bedroom setup for a mattress that has to be lowered from the ceiling for use - but, YMMV!
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 08:22 PM   #33

I think this circles back to an important point... that before going entirely down the room of length, make sure that it DOES trump all

For us, the key things were:

1) separate bedroom.
2) dinette
3) couch
4) leveling jacks
5) gas (not LP) generator.

Then once you find layouts that fit those requirements, you figure out how you like them from there

Steve
SteveLevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 08:44 PM   #34

Tiffin Owners Club
Wink

Quote:
Thanks everyone! These are great suggestions and good insight that there are some models out there. We've been to 4 dealers around here and they all denied these short ones exist. We also may start looking at the 30 fters as we saw one today and it wasn't too bad to drive.

Thanks again! I'm setting this on instant e-mail notification so I can get replies in real time. Tomorrow were looking at a 1992 Winnebago with a redone interior.

Best regards,
Michelle
Hi,
Just my 2 cents worth here; be very careful when talking to RV salespersons. They are first cousins to used car dealers, their job is to sell what is on the lot. Quite a few RV sales staff have never driven or hitched up an RV and have no interest in doing so. So take anything they say with a grain of salt.
I own an 1997 Allegro by Tiffin 28' needed work when I bought it because of delayed maintenance by privious owner. The reason I bought it was it had twin beds so my sister could have her own bed and not have to sleep on the couch when she travels with me. I also find it easier to park and drive than something longer, also I don't need to pull a toad.
Good luck finding what you want they are out there
Old 05-24-2010, 08:49 PM   #35

Thanks to everyone for input!

I really appreciate everyone "discussing" this with me. I find it really helps to work out priorities but especially to keep me focused. I really loved the 34 ft 1997 Itasca Suncruiser but for us the length isn't practical.

I do have to have a walk around bed on at least two sides. I have a bad back and can't see crawling into the corner bed if my back is bothering me.

I will have to check out B+s. A few years ago we looked at new ones but we were too tall for them. Perhaps those were just Bs and not B+s. Anyone 6 ft own one of these and not have to hunch and watch where your walking? If so which one?

I also need to have enough foot room in the passenger foot area to move my feet around because of my back. I think the Mercedes engine allows that but not the Chevy or the Ford. Can't remember if there is a VW engine and what it allowed.

Thanks again for all the input.

Michelle

P.S. Gary, your unit is gorgeous! I hope I can find one just like it.
Old 05-25-2010, 06:05 AM   #36

Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
I will have to check out B+s. A few years ago we looked at new ones but we were too tall for them. Perhaps those were just Bs and not B+s. Anyone 6 ft own one of these and not have to hunch and watch where your walking? If so which one?

Thanks again for all the input.

Michelle

P.S. Gary, your unit is gorgeous! I hope I can find one just like it.
Michelle,

I think you are confusing a B+ with a B (easy to do.) A B+ is just a Class C with no bunk over the cab, which is what I thought you meant by ceiling bed. Trust me...I'm 6 feet and a big guy, and I have no problem standing up straight in my rig. We have all the room we will ever need and then some.

I had the same train of thought you have when I began my search for our first rig 3 years ago. I wanted as short a Class A as I could find, and that's what we bought, a 2001 30 ft. Winnebago Brave. I never even considered a Class C or B+. It was a nice rig and we loved it, but it was older than we really wanted.

Long story short, after 3 summers we traded for our 28ft. 2007 B+ and have not looked back. There is just so much more available in the 30 foot and under in this class. To each his own, but I wish someone would have talked me into at least considering a Class C or B+ before we bought the first time.
Old 05-25-2010, 08:43 AM   #37

Thanks Dmiles!

Thanks Dmiles for the clarification on the B+. Your right, I was confusing them. When we looked at C's we only found the Ford or Chevy engine which has an engine hump between the seats that impinges too much on the foot well for the the passenger. I cannot sit at an angle like I would have to with this configuration because of my back. I found the Mercedes engine did not do this. However I didn't find a Mercedes engine in many Cs.

Does anyone know of any Cs or B+s with the Mercedes engine?

Thanks again!
Michelle
Old 06-17-2010, 10:00 PM   #38

We go pick it up tonight!

Thank to everyone for your help! I purchased a 1994 Winnebago Brave 29RQ with 60K miles this morning. We picked it up tonight. I'm very happy with it's condition. It has no roof leaks or ceiling stains at all. The roof when inspected by us looked in great condition. The cabinets, carpet and interior fixtures are all a 10!

The only thing missing is that it originally had a dinette, 2 club chairs and a table. The club chairs and table were removed and given away, replaced by a furniture sofa which isn't bolted down. First thing we do is remove that sofa. In an accident I don't want it flying around. The question after that is whether to replace the sofa with a magic bed (my favorite RV bed type) or leave it empty and use the seat belts to buckle down the dog crates. I think we will leave it empty for a while and see how it goes.

One think I don't like the factory front chairs (driver and passenger) have lower backs so there is no head rest to put your head against on long trips. These have got to go.

In terms of repairs the cruise control doesn't work and the hydraulic jacks need a new control module. It drove like a dream as a retired professional mechanic owned it. It doesn't have some things I would have liked such as fantastic fans or a back-up camera but we'll probably add them ($$$s!). Unfortunately I cannot add a drivers side door with electric window. I would also like electric mirrors. Have to see how much that is to add. I wish we could have found a short higher-end unit but when buying used you take what you can get. I hope the frame is well done on the lower end Brave vs the higher end models. The brochure showed a lighter weight frame. Also no mention of steel tie down of appliances in 1994. Does anyone know if this was done back then?

We probably need to replace the tires as they are of an undetermined age but we'll get them inspected first as they look good and could be 6 yrs old. The owner didn't buy them so doesn't know if they were bought just before he got it.

Big pluses include 3 pt seat belts and the narrower 96' body without slides. These were all things I was looking for as I don't like driving the wide bodies.

Cheers!
Michelle
(Crossing her fingers that we don't find any gotchas)
Old 06-21-2010, 03:50 PM   #39

Pics and first trip report here!

Pics and first trip report here.
1994 Brave 29RQ RV

We dry camped at the national forest. Everything we used worked and worked well. Hope it continues like this. We didn't test the furnace so will have to go up to the mountains again for cold weather. Also the generator worked when he showed it to me but it died out after a bit when I was using the air conditioner after I bought it. I was going to have my husband look at it but we didn't get around to it before heading out. We didn't use it on this trip so I'm not sure if it is going to be reliable or not.

Michelle
Old 06-21-2010, 04:00 PM   #40

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seajay View Post
WARNING ..... WARNING .... WARNING
My second coach was a 30 foot Cobra on a Chev ''p'' chassis. the greatest problem with the unit was WE COULD NOT KEEP THE WINDSHIELDS IN THE COACH. The rubber around the windshields was replaced twice and the windshields were reset three times and they would still fell out ..... We loved the coach and hated the Windshields. that is why we got rid of it ......
If you are interested in a Cobra be very careful ... Look at the windshields closely as to their fit in the rubber gasket. Your best bet is to look elsewhere
This advise will cost you ten cents and you must pay me the next time you see me
Seajay the sailor man
God bless our troops and bring them home soon and safe
God bless our vets ... ALL GAVE SOME ... SOME GAVE ALL
We had the exact problem with our (former) 2007 Monaco Safari Simba. Three windshields and still problems. Also a bunch of other problems too numerous to mention here. We traded it for our present coach listed below and we are very happy with it. Joe
Old 06-21-2010, 04:33 PM   #41

Quote:
Pics and first trip report here.
1994 Brave 29RQ RV

Also the generator worked when he showed it to me but it died out after a bit when I was using the air conditioner after I bought it. I was going to have my husband look at it but we didn't get around to it before heading out. We didn't use it on this trip so I'm not sure if it is going to be reliable or not.

Michelle
How much fuel was in the tank? If it had about 1/4 tank or less, there probably wasn't any fuel getting to the generator. They make them like that so you don't run out of fuel while dry camping and running the generator.
Old 06-21-2010, 06:04 PM   #42
fsc

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to fsc Send a message via Skype™ to fsc
We found a 2006 Fleetwood Fiesta 26Q (which is actually 27' long) at the end of last summer. Have had it out twice now and it has worked well. We are going to take it out for a four-week road trip soon. But so far, for the two of us at 58 and 62 years old, the Fiesta seems to be a good deal. If you know what you want, keep looking until you find it. I've seen some other short Fiestas listed in the past year.