Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-08-2016, 11:49 AM   #1

WARNING: Argentine Ants

In January of 2013 we picked up an infestation of thousands of Argentine Ants, (aka: Rasberry Crazy Ants), in only 2 days, in a COE park in Sommerville, Texas.
For the next 3 weeks we tried to get rid of them with various poisons, sprays and traps.

Finally, (in early February), we drove the coach home to Wisconsin and froze them to death.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2016, 03:29 PM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
WOW! That's SCARY!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 04:22 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ugh! I was just dusting (Sevin) for ants in my yard! Makes my skin crawl!

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 05-08-2016, 09:19 PM   #4

American Coach Owners Club
Well we were warned about the Argentine ants at a COE campground in south Georgia last year but never did see any however a couple of months later my wife bought some bagged pine bark mulch and when I broke open one bag the little crazy ants came out by the thousands! They quickly invaded the flowerbeds and even took residence in my truck and SUV. Some spray insecticides seemed to work but finally by keeping Terro ant bait in the truck and SUV I was able to get them out and eventually from the flower beds.

Oh yeah I have a street mounted mailbox surrounded by a flower bed, during the ant invasion I found a note in the box telling me that until I got control of the ants in the box I could pick up my mail at the PO. I keep Terro on hand in the MH in case we encounter them in a campground.
Old 05-08-2016, 09:21 PM   #5

This is terrible how invasive species of insects, animals and plants get into our country.

Mel, I really hope they were, indeed, frozen and not some just laying dormant and being moved from place to place. Good luck!

The killer bees which started in the southern states have now acclimated to colder temperatures and are now moving north.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 09:25 PM   #6

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
This is terrible how invasive species of insects, animals and plants get into our country.

Mel, I really hope they were, indeed, frozen and not some just laying dormant and being moved from place to place. Good luck!

The killer bees which started in the southern states have now acclimated to colder temperatures and are now moving north.
Too many "Free Trade Agreements".
Old 05-09-2016, 07:03 AM   #7

X2 for Terro
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 07:58 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
twogypsies
I very likely did transplant/relocate some Argentine Ants from the COE campground on Somerville Lake in Texas into other campgrounds in Texas, (and into a few campgrounds in Louisiana and Mississippi).

However after the driving the coach home to Wisconsin...and 2 months of outside storage in freezing temperatures, (February & March 2013)... my coach was completely rid of them... (and has been for the 3 years since).

Mel
'96 Safari
Old 05-09-2016, 09:55 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by wajell View Post
Too many "Free Trade Agreements".
FTAs have a very small impact on the cause of invasive species. International commerce and travel has for centuries been a cause for some of the fastest growing invasive species issues world wide. However, there are plenty of natural occurrences that support the migration of species from one natural habitat to another. In those cases the new habitat may not have been ideal but the species makes adaptations to the new settings.

gacamp & Mel gave good examples, all be it micro, of how species can move around because of human activities. In effect, they helped the crazy ants move around without any intent to do so.
Old 05-09-2016, 02:38 PM   #10

Having a few properties that have to be treated by the ant man himself.
Tom rasberry. Crazy ant founder These things are never going away. Just shoved over to next parcel of land.