Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-12-2007, 10:14 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally posted by Highgturn:
Linda,

What kind is it and what kind of fuel?
It's a Kozy World like that shown on the left. They also make blue flame heaters. Both use propane.

We bought the 3-brick heater. It looked small in the store, but when we brought it back, it's fairly big and a bit of a PITA to move around all the time, but it works great! We could probably have gotten away with a 2-brick heater. We had a quick connect installed, so it's not built in and we can place it out in the middle of the living area when it's on.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2007, 11:37 AM   #16

We likewise use an electric space heater as needed. Luckly our winter in Fla. only last a few days at a time. I don't remember anyone mention or possibly just missed it, do you place anything below the heater or let it set directly on the floor. We have been using a 16x20 glass cutting board which gives it more stability and acts as an insulator on the floor.
Old 10-12-2007, 11:41 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Great idea "Workshop"! We're putting the glass cutting board on our list for our next Wally World trip
Old 10-12-2007, 02:00 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
LindaH
Quote:
It's a Kozy World like that shown on the left.
Does this heater run on propane? If so, how did you get the propane inside to the heater?

Is this heater similar to the Olympian Wave Heaters?
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 04:05 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally posted by Bob (WA0MQE):
Does this heater run on propane? If so, how did you get the propane inside to the heater?

Is this heater similar to the Olympian Wave Heaters?
Yes, it runs on propane. As I stated above, we had a quick connect installed and have about 6' of hose so that the heater can be moved around.

The Olympian Wave heater is a catalytic heater...the Kozy World heater is an infrared heater. While they both do the same type of job, they do it in different ways.
Old 10-12-2007, 11:36 PM   #20

I have an oil filled unit that I have been using for over 20 years without leaking or incident. I have not even in my wildest dreams considered putting it in my RV. Imagine something that heavy and filled with oil skitting about on casters while driving down the bumpy highways and roads that we have. It is a recipie for disaster.

I also have a ceramic unit like the Pelonis however the Pelonis uses more electricity since it does not maitain residual heat like the oil does.

In the RV I have used the ceramic and would if I had a great need for supplimental heat would consider a milk house heater that is safe for use in an environment with dry combustables.
Old 10-13-2007, 02:51 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
LindaH... the Kozy World heater is an infrared heater
I did look at their web site, but I didn't find much in the description regarding safety, or how it works as far as being used inside a closed area.

I assume it's similar to the Olympian or the Buddy Heater. Can be used inside, but you must keep a window or vent open because they deplete oxygen.
Old 10-13-2007, 06:36 AM   #22

We have used these Oil Filled radiators for the last 3 years full-time, with thankfully no incident.

As with ANY space heater one needs to follow some precaution, after all it is a SPACE HEATER and needs to be monitored.

I find it difficult to believe, and am open to all responses on correction, but again I find it difficult to believe that a self contained, sealed unit is less safe than a propane BURNING catalytic heater.

The catalytic heater is pretty close to an open flame. It gets hot, and uses oxygen. Duh. I am not saying they aren't safe if used properly, but lets keep things in perspective here.

I have a ceramic, which I will say is good, but it makes noise, and also has more moving parts, which means it is more inclined to fail, or malfunction.

I would be very interested to get more information from the incident to find out what was the brand and model.

I Like our oil filled heaters and feel the risk compared to other other types is fairly low. Hopefully my motorhome doesn't burn to the ground now that I have said that!

John
Moder2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 08:57 AM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally posted by Bob (WA0MQE):
I assume it's similar to the Olympian or the Buddy Heater. Can be used inside, but you must keep a window or vent open because they deplete oxygen.
Of course. Any heater that uses a flame of any kind...whether a catalytic heater, an infrared heater, or a blue flame heater...needs ventilation. We keep one window downstairs open about an inch and the ceiling vent in the bedroom open about the same amount.
Old 10-14-2007, 03:14 AM   #24

All this has me thinking...ow. Do the same warnings apply to the built-in fireplace heat? Is it still a bad idea to have it on while unattended? I'm thinking in terms of pets onboard while you're camp hosting or shopping for the day, not for extended away periods.

Thanks.

DeepDoc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 04:35 AM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Are they installing open flame fire places in RV's? They only ones I've seen are the fake flames that I thought were electric heating elements.
Old 10-14-2007, 06:19 AM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Bob, some of the fireplaces I've seen in RVs have their own separate propane tank, so some of them do operate with an open flame.

I don't know whether or not these fireplaces are vented, but I'd want to err on the side of caution and not leave it running when gone from the rig.
Old 10-14-2007, 08:11 AM   #27

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I'm referring to the built-in electric fireplace/5000W heater that PI uses in the Limited's. I read above that some folks are very conservative about leaving ANY space heater on while away, and wonder if the electric built-in has the same cautions as other portable electric space heaters.

DeepDoc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 01:10 PM   #28

JimB,
The 5000W/fireplace is also available in the classics and I would not leave it run unattended for any length of time as for one its a high draw item and beyond that I was taught to unplug even a toaster when not in use, anything that heats. Its my understanding that anything that heats is more likely to cause fire than say an electric clock or your tv.

2007 Excel, 30RSO, Demco Glide Ride, B&W Companion.
Max1 is offline   Reply With Quote