Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-11-2007, 12:26 PM   #1

Excel Owners Club
I had the unfortunate experience today of going and looking at a customers unit that was pretty much detroyed by fire today.
The customers were using one of the oil filled space heaters that look like a old radiator. They think that one of the canisters on the heater had developed a leak and start a fire in the trailer. The customers had just left the unit at 8:15 this AM and at 8:45 was contacted by fire dispatcher that the fire department was about to break a window on the door to gain entry, because of the door being deadbolted, and that their trailer was on fire. With in 30 minutes this unit was ruined. Temps in the trailer had to of reach 1000 plus degrees.
Complete damage in the livingroom where the heater was, but being a 2 bedroom model there was heat and smoke damage from front to rear on the inside. The fire started at floor level at the edge of the slideout and was starting to come out from underneath the couch/dinette slide.
A excellent job in what the Fire Department did. They felt that they did not have to use more than 10 gallon of water to put the fire out, so min. water damage.
Still a sad situtation.
SO a Stong warning to watch any extra heat that you thinking about using.
A positive note to this, is that NO ONE was hurt.
Stay Safe Everyone.
wrongway is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2007, 01:28 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks Tom -- I use one of those heaters in my home workshop and always thought this type to be the safest.
Old 10-11-2007, 01:46 PM   #3

Excel Owners Club
That was exactly the same comment that came from the customer when I meet with them today. We have on in Our Basement for watching TV in the winter, but not when I get home, it is going to the curb. Will just have to use a few extra blankets to watch movies with.
Old 10-11-2007, 02:19 PM   #4

I would never leave any type of space heater on unattended in my stick home or my RV. They are dangerous enough when present, much less in an empty home, RV or otherwise!

Bill
Dutch_man39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 07:07 PM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Depending on the manufacturer there might have been a recall. I had one last year and I forgot how I heard about it but there was a recall on it. I had to cut the end off the power cord and just sent that into them and they sent me a new one that is in storage right now. I beleive the maunfacturer was Holmes.

I looked it up on the internet and it was Holmes. Here is a link to the recall. Holmes recall
Butch50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 03:08 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I purchased one of those oil filled electric heaters a few years ago also. I used it off an on while working in my garage. It seemed fine for about a year then one time I noticed a dark spot of the floor and determined it had started leaking although I couldn't actually find where it was leaking from. It wasn't much of a leak but I too quit using it after that.
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 04:11 AM   #7

These heaters are probably another example of the "fine Chinese" products we are getting.
Old 10-12-2007, 04:35 AM   #8

Texas Boomers Club
My preference for auxilary heating in the RV to save propane is ceramic electric space heaters.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 04:56 AM   #9

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally posted by RustyJC:
My preference for auxilary heating in the RV to save propane is ceramic electric space heaters.

Rusty

My choice too. The Pelonis HC 451 (5200 BTU) although pricy, is an outstanding high quality product.

Bangs, Texas
Highgturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 05:20 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Bob,
Where did you find your Pelonis heater, internet or local retail? With our heat-pump, we normally don't run the portable heaters until the ambient temp drops below 45 degrees.
Old 10-12-2007, 05:30 AM   #11

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally posted by ChiefJohn:
Bob,
Where did you find your Pelonis heater, internet or local retail? With our heat-pump, we normally don't run the portable heaters until the ambient temp drops below 45 degrees.
John,

I got mine at Camping World, but I think Ace Hardware also has them. They run about $70.00. Don't let the small size fool you, it really puts out the heat. Like you, I use the heat pumps down to 40/45, but below that this little fellow will really help with the propane use; however, I do turn it off at night.

Bangs, Texas
Old 10-12-2007, 05:31 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
An electric heater would be nice...and I've heard a lot of good things about the Pelonis. However, they only work if you're plugged into electricity.

Because we boondock/dry camp a lot, we bought a 3-brick infrared heater which keeps our rig toasty warm. If the temperature is below 30 degrees when we get up in the morning, we'll turn on the forced air furnace for a few minutes just to warm the basement, but mostly we just use our space heater.

Like Dutch_man39, we'd never think about leaving the space heater on when we left the rig.
Old 10-12-2007, 05:43 AM   #13

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally posted by LindaH:
An electric heater would be nice...and I've heard a lot of good things about the Pelonis. However, they only work if you're plugged into electricity.

Because we boondock/dry camp a lot, we bought a 3-brick infrared heater which keeps our rig toasty warm. If the temperature is below 30 degrees when we get up in the morning, we'll turn on the forced air furnace for a few minutes just to warm the basement, but mostly we just use our space heater.

Like Dutch_man39, we'd never think about leaving the space heater on when we left the rig.
Linda,

What kind is it and what kind of fuel?

Bangs, Texas
Old 10-12-2007, 05:55 AM   #14

Excel Owners Club
Put estimates together for the customer last night this AM and WOW. The unit is totaled, but the estimate came out to be over $70K. A tough loss for the customer as they spend the Fall of the year in their trailer, now they have to wait to see what their insurance company can do for them.

One thing to remember when using supplemental heat in your Excel, is that heat is not getting to your Water, grey, and black tanks, and if temps stay below the 32 mark for a period of time,can cause possible freeze-up. Be sure to have all your furnaces check and running before it does get cold. A day of operation in mild temps does not hurt. Better to try now, and not be caught in a cold snap and no furnace.
Hope everyone has a wonderful and safe weekend.