Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-18-2016, 07:33 PM   #1

Warranty

Hello All,
Getting ready to buy a new MH very soon and wanted to see if anyone has had any dealings with Giant Receational World and their life time warranty. Have a good dealership nearby that we want to use but if their claims about warranties are true it seems hard to pass up.
Captain Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2016, 08:00 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Dave View Post
Hello All,
Getting ready to buy a new MH very soon and wanted to see if anyone has had any dealings with Giant Receational World and their life time warranty. Have a good dealership nearby that we want to use but if their claims about warranties are true it seems hard to pass up.
Get ALL the details in writing regarding what exactly is covered and for how long. Lifetime sometimes does not mean your lifetime, but rather the expected lifetime of the item in question. Post back here with more info. I'm very interested in this "lifetime" warranty.
Old 10-20-2016, 09:50 PM   #3

If it sounds too good to be true__ it probably is. Do as camper ken said, and get the details in writing, signed by the general manager or owner.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 11:38 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Lifetime RV Warranty

Hmmm. I'd buy from them in a heartbeat if I believed this.

Looks legit, however I've been fooled once too often.

I'd like to see the written warranty and I'd also go to the service department and talk to some of the customers in there for service and listen to what they say.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 04:40 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Note the part that says ALL maintenance must be performed by them. How much does it cost to have the engine serviced? How much for the generator to be serviced? Chassis serviced? Roof maintenance? Exterior sealant inspection? You get the idea.

If they charge standard shop rates of $120 an hour to change the oil you are looking at 200-300 for an engine service, 200-300 for generator every 150 hours of use, and same with other possible required maintenance. Adds up quickly.

This sounds to me like they are having you pay for an extended service contract without you knowing it. I would want to see their required maintenance schedule and all associated costs before even considering this as a benefit.
Brian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 06:50 AM   #6
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian W View Post
Note the part that says ALL maintenance must be performed by them. How much does it cost to have the engine serviced? How much for the generator to be serviced? Chassis serviced? Roof maintenance? Exterior sealant inspection? You get the idea.

If they charge standard shop rates of $120 an hour to change the oil you are looking at 200-300 for an engine service, 200-300 for generator every 150 hours of use, and same with other possible required maintenance. Adds up quickly.

This sounds to me like they are having you pay for an extended service contract without you knowing it. I would want to see their required maintenance schedule and all associated costs before even considering this as a benefit.
Yep they are hedging their bet on making a lot of money on regular maintenance and hoping you will miss one.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 08:53 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Note the part that says ALL maintenance must be performed by them.
The FAQ just says the maintenance must be done by a professional shop and that DIY does not qualify. I don't see where it says that maintenance must be done at Giant RV. It also says you can get repairs authorized at any professional location.

Still, if they are strict about "all required maintenance", that could be both expensive and an easy cop-out. Each appliance typically has a maintenance requirement that is extremely conservative, e.g. an annual cleaning and inspection of a water heater, a/c unit, furnace, etc.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 09:33 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
The FAQ just says the maintenance must be done by a professional shop and that DIY does not qualify. I don't see where it says that maintenance must be done at Giant RV. It also says you can get repairs authorized at any professional location.

Still, if they are strict about "all required maintenance", that could be both expensive and an easy cop-out. Each appliance typically has a maintenance requirement that is extremely conservative, e.g. an annual cleaning and inspection of a water heater, a/c unit, furnace, etc.

Yeah , I missed that part. Thanks for the catch. I would like to see the fine print on what constitutes a professional shop.
Brian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 10:33 AM   #9

I always remember, "Warranty is found between wailing and weeping" in the dictionary.

Reg
Old 10-21-2016, 12:33 PM   #10

In wading thru the video, it mentions 'any covered item'--therein is a real out...
Is a copy of the warranty available to look over without buying it?
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 01:04 PM   #11

Thanks everyone. It does look like the maintenance that needs to be done is very hard to keep up with and could be an easy out for them.
Captain Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 05:28 PM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I went to a RV dealer which had the lifetime warranty. The requirement was to have maintenance service done each year at a cost of about $250. Not impressed so ended up buying elsewhere. Not really using that lifetime warranty as a buying point but they really did not have the trailer I wanted.
TXredfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 05:40 PM   #13

my understanding is that it is a sales tool - a third party service contract/insurance policy with a requirement that all work be performed by the dealer itself.

on the surface that may sound appealing to think that you can have a 'forever' warranty, but the fact is that it MUST be financed by someone - that someone is YOU.

Here's what it really is:
You are financing future potential service repairs/warranty covered items UP-FRONT, even if you may NEVER NEED TO USE THEM. That is called INSURANCE.
The fine print will also help you realize what few items are actually 'covered'.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote