Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-15-2018, 06:39 AM   #15

Not specific to RV's, but in other industries, when a dealer for a product does not want to provide warranty service, it is usually because the OEM does not reimburse them promptly or properly for the service. If they did not sell the unit in the first place, there is no incentive to incur a loss when someone else made the profit. By going out of area for the initial purchase, you have already demonstrated that you will not likely be a return customer no matter what they do for you.
An OEM is not going to give any repair facility cart blanch for warranty work, but probably pays a set amount for certain issues. If the facility has work for which they will be paid in full, that work gets the priority over a warranty.
There are two ways to go about purchasing new with minimal frustration: 1) Go to a local dealer with a good reputation for customer service and pay them a fair price. 2) Go wherever you can get the lowest price, make sure you get everything taken care of before you complete the sale, and be prepared to fix any other issues yourself, or at your expense.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2018, 08:08 AM   #16

Go to the main Forest River Owners Forum, a different one that's a sub forum on IRV2, join, just like this one, and there are people their that can help....with contact phone numbers, names and etc...DO NOT even mention legal stuff.....and feel free to use my name as there's a lot of old time posters that I used to post with (16,500) still there...
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 12:24 PM   #17

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
All they cold tell me is that it was out of warranty and I was on my own. When I told the rep I was going to contact the Attorney General, he hung up on me!![/QUOTE]

That's standard procedure with many businesses. As soon as you mention attorney or Attorney General they stop the conversation and wait for their legal department to be contacted.
Old 12-15-2018, 01:01 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamfoxy View Post
Not specific to RV's, but in other industries, when a dealer for a product does not want to provide warranty service, it is usually because the OEM does not reimburse them promptly or properly for the service. If they did not sell the unit in the first place, there is no incentive to incur a loss when someone else made the profit. By going out of area for the initial purchase, you have already demonstrated that you will not likely be a return customer no matter what they do for you.
An OEM is not going to give any repair facility cart blanch for warranty work, but probably pays a set amount for certain issues. If the facility has work for which they will be paid in full, that work gets the priority over a warranty.
There are two ways to go about purchasing new with minimal frustration: 1) Go to a local dealer with a good reputation for customer service and pay them a fair price. 2) Go wherever you can get the lowest price, make sure you get everything taken care of before you complete the sale, and be prepared to fix any other issues yourself, or at your expense.
That is part of the possible issue, the other one is the Dealer (most of which came up through the ranks of Sales) have a belief that if you didn't buy it from me, then you're on your own. My experience in this is that it is short term thinking. My best dealers were greedy across all departments and realized that one feeds the other.

State laws have tended to normalize the difference between warranty and customer pay. I was responsible for Labor Rates for Chrysler back in the day. Yes, any OEM will only pay a certain markeup on parts, and an agreed upon labor rate (which is never low) and a flat rate time guide of hours. And, won't pay for stuff to be done twice (that the OEM becomes aware of). Pretty much what any educated consumer would insist on. Basically the OEM as an expert tries to reduce the slam dunk that many dealers insist on with their customer pay business. Make no mistake, if the dealership is run well, they are making a ton of money on warranty work. But if they are overcapacity scheduled, then they will prioritize customer pay where they can slam dunk with the available hours and space.
Old 12-15-2018, 02:46 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
only 2 months out of warranty...
I think most all RV manufacturers are really rigid on the warranty period. Once the warranty is expired, even by one day, you are relying on "customer good will" for any factory or dealer paid repair. I suspect the Attorney General would have said the same thing.

To get some "good will", sweet talk garners more sympathy than threats.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 11:59 AM   #20

This is becoming more and more of an issue, as RV sales increase there's more repairs than ever on the new RVs. Places that have large RV populations like Florida have more work than they can handle, I don't use my RV year round so during "down time" I try and get all the maintainece issues taken care of locally from the dealer I purchased the unit from. I also took an extended warranty from that dealer with future maintainece in mind.

It's really important that when purchasing an RV you know if that dealer can service your RV.

If you have a motorhome like I do, It's also good to know a commercial truck center that can work on the engine. Most dealers will work on the chassis but have very limited knowledge on the power train.

Also warranty on the power train would be handled by an authorized service center which in my case would be a Ford commercial truck center.

I try to have my oil changes done at the truck center as they also check several suspension points and lube as required.

Remember motorhomes are not aligned after the chassis is built out so an alignment is necessary when you buy the unit, if you know this ahead of time you can negotiate to have the dealer complete this or find out later like I did and had to have it done at the Truck Center on my dime.

Tires can be repaired and replaced at just about any commercial truck center. So no need to go to the dealer for that.
MrZip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 09:22 AM   #21

Forest River Warranty Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbusmc View Post
Warranty Issues/Questions
While traveling through Indiana we traded our 2017 FR 5th Wheel for a 2019 FR 5th Wheel. We live in West Palm Beach, Florida. All the dealers in this area tell me they only do warranty work on what they sell. I called FR HQ and they said they couldn't help as the Dealers are independent and can make their own rules. Does anyone out there have any suggestions or am I going to have to go back to Indiana to have the work done? Thanks in advance for any feedback.
I was finally able to get in touch with the Forest River Warranty Department. They were very helpful and told me if none of the RV Dealers would help I could get just about anyone to fix the problems, pay for it and submit a claim for reimbursement. Luckily I found a local company that works on RV's and has no problem working with the manufacturer on the issues. Just took it there the Friday before Christmas. I'll give an update on how this turns out. Thank you for all your comments and suggestions.
cbusmc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
warranty