Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2018, 03:13 PM   #1

Warranty work tip

I bought my first fifth wheel and as Iíve since learned, some manufacturers push the unit out the door on a set timeline to meet production goals meaning warranty or shop time for the buyer. Iíd heard people say when they took their rig in for work, not all of the issues had been taken care of. Same thing happened to me twice. Mine is in the shop now for the third time to get the rest of the work done. This time I gave the shop my original list of issues with the outstanding issues highlighted and stapled photos to the list. I also left a copy in my rig for the guys that actually work on the thing. Additionally, I bought some bright plastic ribbon and tied a piece of ribbon on to each part that needed work (or near if not practical). I used a sharpie and wrote something like ď1 of 1, #12 - slide out needs adjustment/repairĒ and tied it to the adjusting mechanism.

Will see if this works. When Iím called to pick up my rig from the shop Iíll see if they left the ribbons on it, took them off when they completed the work or just took them off.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2018, 04:19 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Good plan, no drama, no getting in anyone's face, just clear communication and an expectation that the job will be done right this time. Let me know how that works out for you. Sorry that you have had to go through this.

Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 04:22 PM   #3

The last 3 motor home's I've purchased all had problems that I discovered prior to actually paying for the coach. I had the dealer put it writing that all the things I discovered would be replaced or repaired prior to deliver or the deal was off. I just ticks me off that the end consumer has to be the Quality Control engineer. When the rig is returned to the dealer for warranty work, you have to wait an eternity to get it back. Once they have your money, you're 'nothing' in their eyes.
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 05:50 PM   #4

I did something similar to ours during the service trip back to Thor. I used blue masking tape to mark everything and wrote on the tape, then for two external issues I attached neon colored contractors marking tape to the masking tape so it wouldn't get missed.
Old 06-20-2018, 10:01 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I think you nailed it about the way they push them out the door, depending on the dealers to fix the bugs!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 12:24 PM   #6

Do we know what u mean. Bought a 2018 Thor aria march 20, 2018. Have had in our possession 10 days. Took it back again May 7 for about 27 items including a shower that leaks everywhere. Still don't have it back . Both Thor and Camping World just point the finger at each other. Quality control seems to be a joke.
trisharog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 01:41 PM   #7

I do all my own repairs. I've never taken an RV back to an RV dealer for any kind of work. I've never had a problem getting warranty repair parts from any component supplier. I'm sure glad I don't have to deal with the kind of incompetence I often see described in these threads.
Old 06-22-2018, 10:34 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I also do all fixes and improvements myself. I refused a $9 grand service contract. Gee whiz why?
Have not lost a day using rig. No trips to dealers hundreds miles away. No wasted trips. Job done right. Learned how rig works. No wasted fuel. Batteries not dead sitting.
Old 06-22-2018, 05:05 PM   #9

It’s been in the shop this time for almost 2 months so far. When I get it back, I’ll let you know how the ribbon thing worked out and I’ll start a new thread on our experience in the purchase of this $100,000+ PITA.

If I had to do it over again, I would have just purchased an Airstream.
Old 07-12-2018, 03:36 PM   #10

So...just had to cancel reservations for our trip because they wonít be done after 2 1/2+ months. If Iíd known what I know now, Iíd have bought a vacation home instead.
Old 07-12-2018, 05:00 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by trisharog View Post
Do we know what u mean. Bought a 2018 Thor aria march 20, 2018. Have had in our possession 10 days. Took it back again May 7 for about 27 items including a shower that leaks everywhere. Still don't have it back . Both Thor and Camping World just point the finger at each other. Quality control seems to be a joke.
Schedule a trip to Wakarusa to the factory service center and be sure to outline and document your issues and the lack of response locally to your issues.
Old 07-12-2018, 05:12 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe11 View Post
So...just had to cancel reservations for our trip because they wonít be done after 2 1/2+ months. If Iíd known what I know now, Iíd have bought a vacation home instead.
That sucks.

Being in the boat industry for 30+ years make me as this question to anyone looking for service in a seasonal activity.

Could any of this repair have been done in the dead of winter? December, January, February?

I have potential customers I have told. "This work needs to be done in the off season. It is long and extensive and I am far too busy to dedicated the appropriate amount of time to it now."

They agree and then call me back in June the next year 2 weeks before a vacation.
Old 07-12-2018, 06:20 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilemike View Post
That sucks.

Being in the boat industry for 30+ years make me as this question to anyone looking for service in a seasonal activity.

Could any of this repair have been done in the dead of winter? December, January, February?

I have potential customers I have told. "This work needs to be done in the off season. It is long and extensive and I am far too busy to dedicated the appropriate amount of time to it now."

They agree and then call me back in June the next year 2 weeks before a vacation.

I discovered the bulk of the issues in July/August 2017. Soonest available date to get rig in for warranty work was October 2017. I think shop was overwhelmed with the amount of work needed on my rig and when they got to the roof in December, they gave up on everything else because they didnít want to open the roof in the rain season. They had me pick it up and bring it back April 30 2018 after rain season. I donít think they actually started doing anything with it until a couple weeks ago. So really, Iíve been waiting for 11/12 months to get this work done.

Tags
warranty