Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-10-2013, 01:04 PM   #1

was buying an extended warranty worth it?

Some of our friends have said that they " got there full value from there extended warranty " I. E. had as much in claims as the warranty cost. I am not asking which rv is better, I know that they are complex systems that roll down the road but do their systems breakdown so much that you can't live without an extended warranty or would you be better off paying for repairs as you go?
retirerv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2013, 01:13 PM   #2

You will have answers here that span the spectrum from can't live without to start a savings account and fund your own repairs. While I see merit to both ends of the spectrum, I personally lean to the can't live without view. For me it is about a known cost over a known period of time versus the unknown. For example if I knew that there was no possibility of a blown engine for 100,000 miles I would probably opt out of the extended warranty; however, that assurance is not there. So I opt for the known cost over a given time. It's all about your personal risk tolerance and the value you place on peace of mind. Just MHO.
dsbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 03:03 PM   #3

I have found the warranty service from dealers to be lacking in a sense of urgency, compared to independent service providers, who by the way have the ability to turn in warranty claims and be paid for expensive parts, the same as dealers.

Independent service providers tend to respond to your location on the day you contact them, are very well trained and experienced, especially compared to large dealers who have issues with keeping good service reps trained and up to date.

Most RV owners I meet as a camp host, agree that if they call a dealer, they can make an appointment a week or two out, then you must leave the rig while parts are ordered, and the service can be scheduled.

Independents can usually be recommended by your camp host, will charge a service call, usually less than $100., and come to your site within a day, diagnose what you need, order it, and return to install it, before you can even get a dealer appointment.

The good one's have a better reputation with parts providers who warranty their parts, than dealers.
Chuck severt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 04:58 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Hi retirerv,
To answer your question in one word, yes.

For me, on the motor coaches and autos I have gotten my $s and more from the contract. I would have preferred not to have used the contract at all. However, with the quality of what we buy, I'll get the contract.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 05:29 PM   #5

I had an ES on my first coach. $4000. $1500 in covered claims. So, I lost. But that is how ES companies make profits. Sometimes you win, usually you dont.

I self insure now. In 1995 I put away $175 per month, and it gained in value. Have not contributed since 2005. I had good luck, no big repair costs. The fund is now enough for any cost, including a cruise per year, says DW.

And I never deny myself a claim.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 05:37 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We self insure, don't put a set amount away, but have a large enough checking account balance to pay cash for anything short of a new DSDP.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 05:41 PM   #7

Is my extended warranty worth it? I certainly hope not because if I don't use it that means I didn't have any problems.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 05:46 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
I had one when I bought this rig, it was 3 years old and used when I bought it. Kept it two years and used it a couple of times. I was disappointed in the way it addressed my problems. I had to get "pre-approval" for both dealer to do the repair and pre approval for the faulty item. Then I learned that when they were talking to the dealer, they insisted rebuilt items only were used.

In practice, maybe buying it for a year or two when you are purchasing a used coach might be prudent. After two years I knew what kind of shape my coach was in, and since the conditions were positive, I dropped it. And opened a savings account and made the deposits to it that I would have paid for the policy. Now I chose who repairs my rig and the type and quality of the parts.
Old 05-10-2013, 08:12 PM   #9

I'm still undecided on a paid extended warranty. I have a 2011 Carriage Carri-Lite and to date everything seem to work fine. Now, everyone knows that Carriage went out of business so I have NO manufacturers warranty or a dealer that will honor any free repairs. But other than an accident that totally destroys my unit, their really isn't any high dollar item (engine, transmission or rear differential) that would justify the price I've been quoted for a extended warranty. I would have to break a lot of appliances in order to break even. S/F
Larry 1190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:29 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Use the search function and you'll find a week's worth of reading material on this topic, but first of all... look at it as an insurance policy and not as a warranty.

IMHO, they provide some degree of peace of mind... and if they succeed in doing that... they're worth it. Don't look for a "return on your investment", any more than you look for ROI on your car or home owner's insurance.

My policy with Easy Care just expired and I didn't renew, but was very happy with their support over the six years I had their coverage.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:46 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Bought a used coach last July from a private party. Also obtained an extended service agreement for one year with a high dollar deductible. This as a mitigation for potentially expensive unknown issues and lack of personal experience with the coach.

Have not had an occasion to need to use the coverage - which is a good thing. No plan to renew at the end of the one year period. Would buy again given same/similar circumstances.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:44 AM   #12

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

When I purchased my coach new I bought an extended warranty. All problems were taken care of original mfg. so I never used it...When the warranty expired I bought a new one, 5 years/all inclusive/$500 deductible/$7100 from Wholesale Warranties in San Diego Ca. Within 4 months the turbo failed, cost $2800 for part and labor. No hassle in the claim process. Hopefully I won't have any additional claims, but I have the piece of mind.
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:14 AM   #13

Suspect some warranty companies are better than others--but its still a roll of the dice. You are betting your will win--eg, have lots of problems; they are betting you lose--have few problems. Generally, these companies cover small costs with little challenge, ie, they are playing with your money. Have a large loss like an engine--you should expect to get challenged to the max, eg, maintenance history, work receipts, evidence of abuse, etc.

Another concern is financial stability--as the RV fleet ages [fwer builders], problems/costs will likely increase. For the scheme we call insurance to work, the "company" has to have the capital reserves to cover future losses. Not sure how well these warranty companies are regulated. If its peace of mind you seek and you cant manage a personal reserve--buy a warranty.

PS----good luck with the dice??????
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 05:23 PM   #14

One example: A friend has an extended service contract on his Newmar Essex. Last month the contracted company paid out $8,000 (total bill $11,000) for repairs of various components of the coach and chassis. I will not offer more detail for privacy reasons.
We just bought the MH in my signature. We also purchased an extended service contract from Good Sam-just in case.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote