Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-12-2012, 04:56 PM   #15

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by melvonnar View Post
My wife is handicaped and there was a handicape placard in the window;
I pointed this out to him;
His answer"
Handicape people don't mean nothing to me.
In that case I'd report him for poor attitude and poor grammar.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2012, 05:21 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by glarnold View Post
Melvonnar,

You asked the question - Was I wrong?

In a word, yes.

First, you were wrong to park on the grass. I've stayed in a number of COE Parks, and they have all had the rule - Don't park on the grass (such as it is). And I have the receipt from the $275 fine I paid when the ranger thought my wheel was on six inches of "grass."

Second, you were wrong to "challenge" a man with a badge (or a gun). This is how tempers get aggravated and situations escalate.

Third, according to my calculations, your 34 foot MH and 16 foot towed, only makes 50 foot total. With 10 feet hanging over the back end, you should fit like a finger in a glove. And if that doesn't work, you could always park in the overflow area and walk back to the site (been there, done that).

Now, I hope you catch the tongue in cheek nature of this.

GL Arnold

"When you have the option of being right or being nice, choose nice." No idea who said that.
When you have the option of being right or being nice, choose nice." No idea who said that.[/QUOTE]

#1 not posible to hang over back; large trees behind every site
#2 there were two other vehicles that I could see from my site, parked on the "grass,
#3 more than halve the campsites were "grass" covered, (I'm useing this term lightly), because it's true.

I wrote a letter to the main office (Pittsburgh Pa.) about the parking on the "grass " I sent photos of the camp sites and the campers and vehicles parked on the "grass" I asked them if they were going to improve the campsites so that parking would not have to be on the grass.
Heres one more for you folkes to chew on.
In the lake next to the camp ground the C.O.E.developed a swimming area, complete with picknick tables sand beach and parking area.
The Pittsburgh health department had condemed this lake for swimming, the notice had been posted months ago.
I took pictures of this area and sent it to pittsburgh.
I had went upstream of the lake and see human fecal waste flooting down the creek. I sent all this infomation to pittsburgh.
That was in August of this year; I have had no reply to anything.
as I said in a previous post I had been camping in this park for approx 40 years and have never had a problem.
Question? would I return to this park? NEVER
This is a very small local park and the only thing I can think of is that the ranger seen that I was from out of state and he resented an outsider in "HIS" park.
The ranger told me he had been a ranger fo 25 years, so he wasn't a kid.

Old 11-12-2012, 05:25 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by glarnold View Post
Melvonnar,

You asked the question - Was I wrong?

In a word, yes.

First, you were wrong to park on the grass. I've stayed in a number of COE Parks, and they have all had the rule - Don't park on the grass (such as it is). And I have the receipt from the $275 fine I paid when the ranger thought my wheel was on six inches of "grass."

Second, you were wrong to "challenge" a man with a badge (or a gun). This is how tempers get aggravated and situations escalate.

Third, according to my calculations, your 34 foot MH and 16 foot towed, only makes 50 foot total. With 10 feet hanging over the back end, you should fit like a finger in a glove. And if that doesn't work, you could always park in the overflow area and walk back to the site (been there, done that).

Now, I hope you catch the tongue in cheek nature of this.

GL Arnold

"When you have the option of being right or being nice, choose nice." No idea who said that.
YUP - "No parking on the grass", regardless of YOUR opinion as to the quality of that grass - is a common CG rule, NOR does the fact and existence of a handicapped party member make an RVing group "special", OR exempt from the rules. And again yes, MOST CG's have extra vehicle parking spaces available - not always at a location easily convenient to all the CG spaces, but at least available for those needing them.

Don't like or agree with the rules - then find another CG with rules you DO agree with!

YES, YOU were most likely wrong!
Old 11-12-2012, 05:39 PM   #18

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
I have a feeling some attitudes were being thrown on both sides...
Old 11-12-2012, 05:39 PM   #19

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
I have a feeling some attitudes were being thrown on both sides...

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
Old 11-12-2012, 05:54 PM   #20
TAZ

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
When you have the option of being right or being nice, choose nice." No idea who said that.

#1 not posible to hang over back; large trees behind every site
#2 there were two other vehicles that I could see from my site, parked on the "grass,
#3 more than halve the campsites were "grass" covered, (I'm useing this term lightly), because it's true.

I wrote a letter to the main office (Pittsburgh Pa.) about the parking on the "grass " I sent photos of the camp sites and the campers and vehicles parked on the "grass" I asked them if they were going to improve the campsites so that parking would not have to be on the grass.
Heres one more for you folkes to chew on.
In the lake next to the camp ground the C.O.E.developed a swimming area, complete with picknick tables sand beach and parking area.
The Pittsburgh health department had condemed this lake for swimming, the notice had been posted months ago.
I took pictures of this area and sent it to pittsburgh.
I had went upstream of the lake and see human fecal waste flooting down the creek. I sent all this infomation to pittsburgh.
That was in August of this year; I have had no reply to anything.
as I said in a previous post I had been camping in this park for approx 40 years and have never had a problem.
Question? would I return to this park? NEVER
This is a very small local park and the only thing I can think of is that the ranger seen that I was from out of state and he resented an outsider in "HIS" park.
The ranger told me he had been a ranger fo 25 years, so he wasn't a kid.

If it is that bad you are probably better off finding a new CG. You ask for feed back and it sounds like you may have been in grey territory. It is not always black and white so you need to respect the managment even if you don't like it. Some battles you can't win or it may be too costly to fight.

Find a place that makes you happy and then you can thumb your nose at the ranger.

Improvise, adapt and overcome... "Semper Fi"
Old 11-12-2012, 06:16 PM   #21

My guess is it's one of those situations that you have to be present at to get the 'feel' of the situation. It's very difficult to make others understand the situation when they don't understand the full context.

I've been there and generally, retelling the story i won't get any sympathy from others.

So, one bad personnel day in 40 years at the campground really is remarkable. If the coe is convenient, swallow a little pride and stay there again next year. Perhaps the ranger won't be there next year.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:21 PM   #22

I have to put this in for those that would like to visit this campground.
Its Loyalhanna C.O.E. campground approx 6 miles from Saltsburgh Pa.
No reservations, first come first served; enjoy.
I have talked to other rangers on this; and this what they had to say:
The C.O.E. very seldom fire, lay off or get rid of problem rangers; instead they transfer them to a new location.
I"m thinking that's what happened here, this was the first year this ranger was at this campground, he told me he had 25 years service with the C.O.E. I would bet money that he was transfered here because some one wanted to get rid of him.

My wifes sister lives in Saltsburgh, next summer I"ll ask her to go to the campground to see if this ranger is still there.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:19 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
hand him the keeps and ask for a valet receipt for the vehicle.

Ken
Old 11-12-2012, 07:37 PM   #24

Vintage RV Owners Club
You never did tell us what the outcome was...did you leave? Move to a bigger site? Sell the car?

What???????????????
Old 11-12-2012, 07:44 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post
You never did tell us what the outcome was...did you leave? Move to a bigger site? Sell the car?

What???????????????
I left
As long as this ranger is there I"ll not return
Old 11-12-2012, 10:30 PM   #26

Quote:
My wife is handicaped and there was a handicape placard in the window;
I pointed this out to him;
His answer"
Handicape people don't mean nothing to me.
His remarks 'handicapped people don't mean nothing to me' is grounds for a civil suit against him and his employer.
Handicapped people must be respected and accommodations made for them at all facilities. There are attorneys who specialize in these matters, and would be more than happy to take your case.
Further, this is a government facility, and the DOJ would be interested in this issue also. Please report this incident to the District Supervisor because with his attitude towards the disabled, he is unfit for his job.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:38 PM   #27

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlGeo View Post
His remarks 'handicapped people don't mean nothing to me' is grounds for a civil suit against him and his employer.
Good grief- surely you can't believe that ANY Ranger, no matter how off his game, would be stupid enough to say something like that?

I think it much more likely that he only stated the obvious, which is that a handicap sticker is not a license to violate the rules as to where parking is allowed.

Frankly, in my opinion, the fault here lies with the O.P. for

a) Parking on the grass to begin with
and
b) Giving the Ranger an argument when told to move his vehicle
and
c) Attempting to use his wife's handicap as an excuse for his own misbehavior.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:50 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Many people with a badge do not like to have their authority or judgement questioned. I would have pointed out the length issue and ask for help in finding an appropriate place to park the towed.

Way back when, I was given training in dealing with problem kids (I was a houseparent in a home for juvenile delinquents). Rather than order them, we were told to ask them a question. A question requires a response from a more adult prospective. An order reduces their actions to a kids emotional response point. Responding with responses like, "I parked here before...they're just weeds"...etc. triggers the other person to respond like a 'parent.' I'll have you arrested, send you to bed without supper", etc.
Bingo!! Great answer!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Closed Thread

Tags
handicap