Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-12-2012, 01:16 PM   #1

Was I in the wrong?

I was born and raised in this area and moved away nearly 40 years ago; I go back to visit friends and relations every summer for the past 40 years; I spend nearly a month off and on in this same C.O.E. camp ground.
This summer as I always do, when enterening the campground I pick up a copy of the rules of the campground and look for any changes that have been made; there had been none. As was stated in the rules, you must park your camper and your towed on your campsite. This is a very small campground; 9 electric sites and 30 tent sites.
All the sites are approx 40 feet deep, my motorhome is 34 feet and my tow is about 16 feet long.
As I always have I parked my tow beside my motorhome.
Long story short"
Ranger came by and said I couldn't park my tow beside the motorhome; he said I was parking on the "grass" (what he refered to was crabgrass and an assortment of weeds).
I asked to see the rule the stated that I couldn't park beside my motorhome; (there is a rule that parking on the road is not allowed).
When I told him that there was no place I coud park except beside my motorhome; I don't know why but he got very angry, face turned red and the vanes on his neck stood out,
Heres what he said '
Either move the towed or I will;
#1 give you a $250 citation
#2 confastate my motorhome
#3 call the police have you arrested and put in jail
#4 have you banned forever from staying in a C.O.E park
Theres more to this story but I"ll stop here, If any one is interested I"ll tell the rest in another post.
Any one want to know the name of this campground and the rangers name?
Just ask me and I"ll print them.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2012, 01:40 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Where did he think you should park it? Sounds like he has a authority problem. Threatening jail over parking your car on the grass!!

Old 11-12-2012, 02:07 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
Many people with a badge do not like to have their authority or judgement questioned. I would have pointed out the length issue and ask for help in finding an appropriate place to park the towed.

Way back when, I was given training in dealing with problem kids (I was a houseparent in a home for juvenile delinquents). Rather than order them, we were told to ask them a question. A question requires a response from a more adult prospective. An order reduces their actions to a kids emotional response point. Responding with responses like, "I parked here before...they're just weeds"...etc. triggers the other person to respond like a 'parent.' I'll have you arrested, send you to bed without supper", etc. It the training was called transactional analysis. (I'm O.K., You're O.K.)

In 30 years of education, I found it worked, when I could remember to use it.

The question of course needs to be asked in a sincere way, not sarcastic or in an accusatory tone. Somehow, with the response you report you got, it sounds like he felt like he had to respond like a 'parent' instead of an adult.

I'm not saying he's right, you're wrong, just that something in this transaction went astray. I've found it best to not deal with a person in authority by responding with emotion. Calm and 'adult' gets a like response.

Besides that initial interaction, I hope your visit was pleasant.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
Old 11-12-2012, 02:13 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Sounds like parking on the grass is against the rules- not an unusual restriction.

So what did you do?
Old 11-12-2012, 02:15 PM   #5

My wife is handicaped and there was a handicape placard in the window;
I pointed this out to him;
His answer"
Handicape people don't mean nothing to me.
Old 11-12-2012, 02:22 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post
Sounds like parking on the grass is against the rules- not an unusual restriction.

So what did you do?
I"ll answer this question with an explanation 50% of the campsites were covered with "grass" (green stuff)
I"ll cover this in a later post.
As I stated in my first post; there is no mention of parking on the "grass" only that you must park on your campsite. (campsites were marked with posts that were aprox 40 feet apart. campsites were aprox 40 feet deep.
Old 11-12-2012, 02:23 PM   #7

sounds like there's a new sheriff in town with his own interperation of the rules. where you the only tower there ? what did the others do? i guess he figured 40 ft was your parking area. and maybe he was having a bad day.
Old 11-12-2012, 02:28 PM   #8

Sounds like a young ranger with authority issues. As a camp host I never had a problem, Simply ask them politely to keep their vehicles on the pavement was usually all that was necessary. Does no good to get all worked up. Maybe he needs to take the verbal judo class again.
Old 11-12-2012, 02:32 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I would like to hear the whole story as I am about to leave on a trip and was planning to use several COE Campground and I am also 34 feet plus a toad on a car dolly.
Old 11-12-2012, 02:45 PM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mochisme View Post
I would like to hear the whole story as I am about to leave on a trip and was planning to use several COE Campground and I am also 34 feet plus a toad on a car dolly.
The whole story:
Quote:
Originally Posted by melvonnar View Post
Ranger came by and said I couldn't park my tow beside the motorhome; he said I was parking on the "grass" (what he refered to was crabgrass and an assortment of weeds).
I asked to see the rule the stated that I couldn't park beside my motorhome
Old 11-12-2012, 02:47 PM   #11
TAZ

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are always two sides to a story. Not that the OP is wrong, but I have to wonder what the ranger was thinking. Most I have run into rangers that work with you. But I have also had bad experiences with a specific ranger with a supperiority complex. The one in my story eventually lost his job when his coworkers kept asking for transfers because they could not work with him.

I have to wonder if he had a previous encounter that set up his responce.

Improvise, adapt and overcome... "Semper Fi"
Old 11-12-2012, 03:07 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Serious authority Complex. Tell him to call the police and tape the conversation. Oh and complain about his attitude, likely not the first complaint.
Old 11-12-2012, 03:09 PM   #13

Melvonnar,

You asked the question - Was I wrong?

In a word, yes.

First, you were wrong to park on the grass. I've stayed in a number of COE Parks, and they have all had the rule - Don't park on the grass (such as it is). And I have the receipt from the $275 fine I paid when the ranger thought my wheel was on six inches of "grass."

Second, you were wrong to "challenge" a man with a badge (or a gun). This is how tempers get aggravated and situations escalate.

Third, according to my calculations, your 34 foot MH and 16 foot towed, only makes 50 foot total. With 10 feet hanging over the back end, you should fit like a finger in a glove. And if that doesn't work, you could always park in the overflow area and walk back to the site (been there, done that).

Now, I hope you catch the tongue in cheek nature of this.

GL Arnold

"When you have the option of being right or being nice, choose nice." No idea who said that.
Old 11-12-2012, 03:35 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I am the Authority, don't mess with authority
Attached Images

Tags
handicap