Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-05-2015, 06:29 AM   #1

Was I overcharged by Camping World ??

Hi all... I feel I may have been charged too much for service and would like some feedback. Left home with a full refrigerator of food for our trip and wouldn't you know it the refrigerator starts blinking a code and wouldn't run on LP or shore power. Stopped at Camping World on route. They worked on it for roughly 3.5 hours... Called Norcold... They told them how to reset the circuit board and bingo the fridge started working again. While in Flordia, I spoke with an RV certified technician. He told me (a) they should have known based upon the code on the fridge display what needed to be done and, (b) it should have only taken them 20 or 30 minutes to pull off the circuit board cover on the back of the fridge and using a paper clip...reset it. Apparently, that is what Norcold walked them through doing. I asked if CW tech if he could give me the procedure to reset it, if it ever happened again, but they told me it was far too complicated for a RV homeowner. I checked on the Internet and found the procedure myself and it looks like the certified technician I spoke with while in Flordia was right on. CW charged me approx $360 for their labor/time. With what I now know, I think that was a bit excessive. Any thoughts on this folks?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2015, 06:36 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Entirely too much, but not much you can do about it.
I sent a letter to the CEO of CW, and still haven't heard back, and I won't hear from them. As long as they're getting your dollar, they don't much care.
I'm done with CW for now, and maybe longer.

BigBlockTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 06:48 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Welcome to Camping World!

There are many people who will never let CW touch their RV's.

I am one of them.

Bite the bullet and move on. Cheap lesson learned.

It could have been more costly such as what happen to THIS RV owner.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 06:53 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMiller View Post
Hi all... I feel I may have been charged too much for service and would like some feedback. Left home with a full refrigerator of food for our trip and wouldn't you know it the refrigerator starts blinking a code and wouldn't run on LP or shore power. Stopped at Camping World on route. They worked on it for roughly 3.5 hours... Called Norcold... They told them how to reset the circuit board and bingo the fridge started working again. While in Flordia, I spoke with an RV certified technician. He told me (a) they should have known based upon the code on the fridge display what needed to be done and, (b) it should have only taken them 20 or 30 minutes to pull off the circuit board cover on the back of the fridge and using a paper clip...reset it. Apparently, that is what Norcold walked them through doing. I asked if CW tech if he could give me the procedure to reset it, if it ever happened again, but they told me it was far too complicated for a RV homeowner. I checked on the Internet and found the procedure myself and it looks like the certified technician I spoke with while in Flordia was right on. CW charged me approx $360 for their labor/time. With what I now know, I think that was a bit excessive. Any thoughts on this folks?

Yep that works out to like $120.00 an hour, that is what they charge in Vegas along with the dealer I bought from, their rate is $129.95. Way to much, and so slow in completely any work.
olddog49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 07:09 AM   #5

I had them do an oil change on engine and gen. they dumped the gen coolant and forgot to refill it- After traveling down the road apiece I got to thinking that I should check to make sure it had oil and coolant in it... The gen. radiator was dry!!!!! Called CW main office and they called them-I was told to stop at walmart and purchase coolant---I told them to go to hell and haven't use them for servicing since and won't ever again!!!!! I stopped payment on the debt card and they called and said they were going to take action against me--I said have add it---no action taken but I did get an email asking me to rate there service unbelievable!!!!!!

Steve
SPA48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 07:14 AM   #6

Yep, they backed another rv into my fifth wheel & did some damage. They finally repaired it & then sent me a bill for the repairs. I am surprised no one has driven an rv thru one of their showrooms.
Old 03-05-2015, 07:28 AM   #7

Just curious as to why you didn't "look on the internet and find the procedure yourself" before taking the thing to CW ? I agree that the charge for resetting your refrigerator was likely excessive.

I've had work done on our coach by CW (removal of old washer/drier and replace with new) and they did a good job at a more than fair price. I expect there are good CW locations and not so good ones and it's hard to generalize about a business that has hundreds of locations all over the US.
datrbone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 07:40 AM   #8

In the style of Jeff Foxworthy,

"If you went to CW..........You were probably overcharged"
znt1186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 07:42 AM   #9

I replaced the entire circuit board on my Norcold 8421 recently because it would blow the 5 amp fuse on ac power and then it finally stopped running on propane. The entire process only took about an hour and a half because I had no prior experience at doing this replacement. For that price, the technician could have replaced the control board and monitor panel including parts and labor.
Old 03-05-2015, 07:50 AM   #10

Rexhall Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by znt1186 View Post
In the style of Jeff Foxworthy,

"If you went to CW..........You were probably overcharged"
Correction, If you went to Camping World................You definitely were overcharged. And you always will be.
Old 03-05-2015, 07:56 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I don't like camping world except for shopping once in a while but! Think about what your repairing. A home on wheels. At home your HAVE a furnace man, an electrician, a plumber, an appliance man, a roofer, get the idea. Now they are in business to service and they do but THEY are on a learning curve on your dollar, not good. Ask before service if they are familiar with the repair. To the OP not a bad price to learn what to do next time.

LEN
Old 03-05-2015, 08:27 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMiller View Post
Yes you were!! Same thing happened with the frig on my old JayCo while camping. Called the near by RV sales and service, charged me $85 for service call and 30 min, to reset the board which was a simple process, but tricky. He left me the instructions and showed me how to reset it if it happens again.
As for camping World, never again! I wouldn't even have them to dump my black water tank. I bought my first RV from them, it was the biggest mistake of my life!! Got screwed big time. Consider it lesson learned, no more business with CW.
Excursion04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 08:43 AM   #13

I have heard other people that have been ripped off by CW. Personally, I think all dealers and large establishments like CW are complete rip offs and I have never heard anyone come away from these places happy and feeling like they have been well taken care of, me included. I do not understand why these companies can not get their act together and really come up with some good customer service and have some happy customers instead of a bunch of people who want to bomb the places. I will exhaust all possibilities before I ever even consider taking my stuff to one of these jerk companies.
Old 03-05-2015, 08:49 AM   #14

You were billed for "learning curve"

If you had an odd and difficult problem that took 3 hours to troubleshoot and 5 minutes to fix then you are billed 3.5 hours.

Here the unit may have had a code or common symptom that those "in the know" would already have it fixed in their head before they touched it and takes 5 minutes to fix.

For those you are billed flat rate for the repair or minimum labor time whatever that is.

Had many instances of similar things in the old days where us "old guys" have the radio fixed and gone before the new guys had a clue just because we did the same repair so many times before for that common issue.

The reset is a common issue and the tech should have known to check it FIRST.

Management should be called on it and credit applied as this is certianly a case of not performing correct steps and overbilling for it.

Tags
camping