Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 11-22-2014, 12:43 PM   #1
Was it worth it?

I have asked over the last few weeks several questions about installing an auxiliary fuel tank on my pickup. Now I have to make up my mind. My question to the one's that have done this.
After everything is said and done do you feel like it was worth the price?
we only plan to travel to Alaska once and maybe an additional trip out west from the east coast once.
seems like a lot of money just to save a few cents on a gallon of fuel. I could use a full size tool box more.
before I spend the money show me the pros to doing this.

2014 Ram Laramie, 4x4, Dually, Crew Cab, 6.7 Cummins, Aisin Trans, 4:10 rears
2011 Carriage Cameo 37KS3,full body paint,17.5 tires, Disc brakes.
rving4us is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2014, 02:27 PM   #2
What size is your tank now? I used a Titan replacement tank in my 2007 GMC that increased my fuel capacity from 26 to 52 gal. This allowed us to choose when we needed fuel. We took one trip from Tennessee to Washington State and had no problems fueling as needed. I just noticed when I went to Titan site that they have new options for fuel tanks that were not available when I purchased mine.

2002 Fleetwood Revolution 38B
2006 Honda CR-V Air Force One
waroland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 02:38 PM   #3
When we had our truck and camper set up, I had the extra tanks and would do it again. I ended up with a little over 60 gallons total that I could carry. It was nice just to have and we did alot of desert camping (dirt bikes ect) I never really needed to worry about topping off when we left the main highways ect. I thought it was worth it.
Mike & Charlotte
2014 Newmar Canyon Star 3610
Orange County, California
Mike and Cha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 02:38 PM   #4
Is it worth it? That's purely a personal decision. I doubt one could actually make a purely economic justification for an auxiliary fuel tank. That said, I've had auxiliary tanks on nearly all my pickups since 1977. I like the options that the added fuel range provides.

I always installed my own tanks and most were set up to transfer fuel into the truck's fuel tank via an electric pump.
OB-One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 10:05 AM   #5
Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Yes, worth every penny...not to have to refuel everyday or worry about where the next fuel was located.
2014 American Eagle 45T
DD 500
Pulling a Honda CRV
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 10:18 AM   #6
While traveling the lower 48, I have never needed an auxiliary fuel tank. However, the piece of mind that it provides to me is, as they say, priceless. From a purely convenient perspective, we can come into a camp site late in the day and drop the camper. If we're out touring, I have the added flexibility of getting fuel on my schedule, not necessarily my OEM tank's schedule. I would never be without one, but we travel long distances. It was said before, it's very much a personal preference. If your camping only takes you a couple hundred miles from home, maybe it's not worth the cost. BTW, I have a toolbox/tank combo. There are two negatives that I can attribute to an aux. tank. Leaves and dirt collect behind the tank and depending upon what size tank you have, a bed cover may not fit.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 10:30 AM   #7
Winnebago Owners Club
We installed an extra 40 gallon tank to supplement the 40 gallon tank in the truck.

It is definitely worth while. I found that many areas we travelled in did not have really convenient fueling stations. I have had to wiggle in and back out of a number of them. Was inconvenient.

With the extra tank I still encounter that same types of issue with some service stations but only half of the time. In many instances I am able to pass some of the more difficult stations and fuel where it is much more convenient.

Also with the longer range have been able to plan ahead for better fuel prices.

Had our extra tank built in Lake Havasu at KSH marine. Fully functional tank with pump and gauge so all I have is a switch on the dash. Took a day to build and install. Had one minor issue with the fuel sender and they promptly replaced it.
Gordon and Janet
Tour 42QD/inTech Stacker
Gordon Dewald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 02:17 PM   #8
I put a 48 gal tank in back in 07 and would not be without one. I don't just use it for traveling but use it to fill my garden tractor and other gas engines. I now use it also to fill our motor home so I don't have to run it to a gas station before a trip.

cwit is offline   Reply With Quote