Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-24-2012, 02:44 PM   #1

Wash, wax & roof treatment.

Greetings, fellow tax payors. I searched but couldn't find info. and I'm not sure what section this question fits in.

My energetic son wants to wash & wax and treat the roof of our MH. I'm looking for suggestions for soap to wash, wax to apply (buff) and treatment for the roof. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

He wants to do this Mondy so I need to get supplies in the next two days. Thanks.

SKP #111927
SteveCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2012, 05:16 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCal View Post
Greetings, fellow tax payors. I searched but couldn't find info. and I'm not sure what section this question fits in.

My energetic son wants to wash & wax and treat the roof of our MH. I'm looking for suggestions for soap to wash, wax to apply (buff) and treatment for the roof. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

He wants to do this Mondy so I need to get supplies in the next two days. Thanks.
You don't want to miss an opportunity like that. Here are a couple of links that might help with that and a host of other RV stuff.

Old 11-24-2012, 07:08 PM   #3

Thank you for the reply. That is some good information. Now I need to know what product to use on the roof and what saop to wash with.
SKP #111927
Old 11-25-2012, 09:08 AM   #4

I use Ivory dish soap

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:12 AM   #5

What kind of roof? Fiberglas or fabric? Does make a difference. If it is metal or Fiberglas, use the same type of wax that you would use on the sides. If it is EPDM or rubber type, there are specific directions on the Dicor web site.
450Donn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:36 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Qwert66
For a basecoat/clearcoat with fiberglass roof we use,

1. Johnsons Baby shampoo to wash.
2. Rejex paint protectant (not wax but goes on like wax and makes removing bugs/spot easier) on the sides, front and back, and all glass windows.
3. 303 aerospace protectant (like armorol on steroids) on the roof, tires, and rubber seals.

Follow instructions carefully for the rejex and 303. Specifically remove all wax, and clean tar/sap fully first and let cure after application. For the 303 wipe off excess and realize it can make the roof really slippery after application if wet.

Lesson we learned is if you apply in your socks with no shoes on then go in the house and walk on the kitchen floor in your socks it will make your kitchen floor vert slippery like the old oven cleaner spray foam when it got on the floor. Forewarned...but great stuff for all the rubber on the coach.

In our opinion 2 days is not enough time to properly do an entire coach with 1 energetic person. Stay safe as well.
Old 11-25-2012, 03:56 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
For washing ... Think "Kitchen floor" and send him up with a bucket, some Spic & Span, a long handled brush or a mop, and a garden hose.

For wax.. I do not recommend. The one part of the motor home I'd rather NOT have slippery is the one I can slip off when I have to go up and work there.

Roof Treatments.. I am skeptical of. Thus no recommendation either for or against.

now, washing and waxing the sides..

Do me a favor.. Keep fuel usage logs (MPG) before and after and post the results.. Folks don't believe me.
Old 11-25-2012, 04:13 PM   #8
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCal View Post
Thank you for the reply. That is some good information. Now I need to know what product to use on the roof and what saop to wash with.

You are getting s lot of advice , some of which may not be appropriate for you. If your roof is rubber or TPO , it cannot be waxed nor should you apply products with petroleum distillates. I think you may have a TPO roof which requires nothing but Murphy Oil Soap per the Mfg. some of us throw in a little Dawn dish washing soap for good measure.

Please post what your roof material is for the correct advice.

Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:20 PM   #9

I've washed mine (gel coat) for years with cheap dish soap and use Protectant 303 on everything and I mean everything. On the Rubber Roof I don't wipe off I just let it soak in and leave it. Nice thing about it it doesn't dry to a hard to remove haze, it's quite easy to apply and remove. On plastics, rubber etc I don't wipe off. It's about $59 a gallon at Camping World and I only use about 1/2 gallon to do my coach. Even if it took a whole gallon that's cheap insurance in my book. My coach is twice as easy to wash when done and that's how I tell when it's time to re-apply is when it's not 'beading' as much.
Old 11-28-2012, 04:31 AM   #10

Thank you for the replies. Now to decide which to try first.

SKP #111927

Tags
roof