Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-11-2013, 04:45 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would not trust any of those washes as they use HIGH ALKALINE chemicals to do the work of a sponge. Tried a local truck wash... and I had to tackle the guy as I saw he was using a pressure washer with a chemical feed. Took me 2 hours to remove the haze the idiot caused. The owner of the wash was a bigger moron as he didnt even know what chemicals he was using. Ended up calling the city on them since they were letting these caustic chemicals leech into the ground/sewer. They are shut down now.
WeatherTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2013, 09:52 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I use the Mr. Clean system, but it is almost impossible to find the softeners filters anymore at a reasonable price, too bad they discontimued it.
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:34 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7ole View Post
I use the Mr. Clean system, but it is almost impossible to find the softeners filters anymore at a reasonable price, too bad they discontimued it.
The refills never were very reasonably priced. It was a good system so I was willing to pay the price, but I wasn't surprised to see they dropped the line.

(Snowbirds in Reverse)
Winnebago Chieftain / Ford Hybrid Toad
Raining Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:46 AM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I've always washed our motorhomes myself. I have a painters extend a pole with a washing brush attached. Makes that pretty easy. I use a squeegee on an extend a pole to dry but never use the squeegee head without draping a micro fibre towel over it. I've found this to be the best method for me. I use Blue Coral Wash and Wax for soap. For the paint protection I use Nufinish for polish and Mothers Syn wax to complete the job.
I've seen quite a few units that have been washed at the Blue Beacon Truck wash centers and I must say they do a nice job. I may try them sometime down the road.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 02:10 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by njs42 View Post
Personally I have not found washing by hand to be that big of a job. Long handled brushes, wet, soap rinse, dry. I go basically in panels do one area then move to the next. I have a routine I developed over the years and just go by the numbers. One thing that helps, because you need to get the unit dry to avoid water spots, is a floor squeegee to remove most of the standing water, Then a quick follow up with a towel draped over the squeegee and it is done. I suppose it helps that my rig is mostly off white, a darker color may be more difficult.

I vote for hand washing, if you are counting.
Thats the basic method we used at the Airport Fire Station on the big Crash rigs. Works great, and glad you reminded me of it.
GS#819681685 FMCA#F437136 SKP#112720
phinneyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 04:18 AM   #20

I read somewhere that special (sheepskin I think) brushes will need to be used on the full body paint rigs to keep from scratching the paint. I have a soft bristle brush setup with an extendable pole, but I do not want to scratch the paint on my new rig.

Is this correct?
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:55 AM   #21
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7ole View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raining Star View Post
The refills never were very reasonably priced. It was a good system so I was willing to pay the price, but I wasn't surprised to see they dropped the line.
I only have two unused filters left. I recently searched for the soap and 1 bottle was advertised for $94 (yep ninety-four). One key is the polymer based soap. I recently found some at Walmart that had the polymer ingredients. It worked well. The other key is the filter and fine rinse. I would suspect that a soft water system would accomplish the same rinse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
I read somewhere that special (sheepskin I think) brushes will need to be used on the full body paint rigs to keep from scratching the paint. I have a soft bristle brush setup with an extendable pole, but I do not want to scratch the paint on my new rig.

Is this correct?
Using brushes will show brush marks, its inevitable. I use fine microfiber mitts and cloths. No signs of swirls.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:46 AM   #22

I too used Mr Clean Auto Dry until they discontinued it . I found and use a Water Softener/De Ionizer from WaterSticks.com. You wash your coach with whatever soap you wish and rinse completely with regular hard water and then rinse with the De Ionizer and never have to hand dry. Once you learn to be thrifty with the rinse you'll find its worth every penny by the time it saves you. I've owned mine for a couple years now with no regrets.
TdogKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:28 PM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Do u have a self car wash that u can get the RV into? Use the wand first to try and get off the dust before using the brush as the dust will really scratch up the clearcoat and when it dries you will notice it.
I've seen a lot a RV that had that scratchy look and seen people wash theiers with out concern for the finish.
capecodbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 01:08 PM   #24

I would never use a brush of any kind on RV or regular driver. use microfiber wash pad on a pole sponge with a lot of soapy water and hand dry with microfiber towel and a ladder i do not trust anybody to wash my vehicles including daily drivers, scratches are hard to keep off finish and some people do not take the same care as we do of our motorhomes
doublechevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:20 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
The one thing I learned from this thread is that some people are more anal than others when it comes to washing their motorhome. Although, I do have to admit that the more anal you are the better ideas you got. Thanks guys!
GS#819681685 FMCA#F437136 SKP#112720
phinneyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:32 PM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Just an update. We wound up going to Blue Beacon because we never had the time to hand wash. My reaction to their service was that it was far below my expectation. I don't expect I'll be a regular customer.

(Snowbirds in Reverse)
Old 04-19-2013, 02:15 PM   #27

Carolina Campers
I use BB and like both the quality wash, their RainX application and citric tire coating. This saves me time now. I am retiring in June, so knowing how annual I am, I will probably do it myself on a regular basis and use BB when I just need a quick wash for what ever reason. Hey, it is a cheep wash at $35 for the RV. I recently went to a car wash and paid $27 for just a regular wash.
tedgard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 02:18 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedgard01 View Post
I use BB and like both the quality wash, their RainX application and citric tire coating. This saves me time now. I am retiring in June, so knowing how annual I am, I will probably do it myself on a regular basis and use BB when I just need a quick wash for what ever reason. Hey, it is a cheep wash at $35 for the RV. I recently went to a car wash and paid $27 for just a regular wash.
It's not price I was unhappy with, it was quality.

(Snowbirds in Reverse)