Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-26-2009, 03:48 PM   #1

Washing the RV

Does anyone use Dawn dish detergent?I know that we sould not use regular dish soap , but if it works on birds RV "s can it be ok on RV;S
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2009, 04:11 PM   #2
JWT

Alpine Owners Club
It will work,but it will also take any protection such as polished or waxed finishes with it. I'd use a rv soap wash or If you have a full body paint I would definitely use a automotive type of car wash soap, you can find these anywhere from Walmart to auto parts stores.
Old 04-26-2009, 05:03 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
go get some wash and wax from wal-mart or camping world . it`s whole lot better for what ever you are washing. it is not harsh on your paint like dishwashing soap would be.if you are not close to a c/w or w/m then just go to a auto parts store and they will have some........kurt
bmanSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 05:15 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Hi tqracn,
If you want cheap, read no further. If you want a first class set of products that has a pedigree of award winning classic car shows read on. Go to http://www.griotsgarage.com/ . They sell every automotive care care product you'd ever think of needing. Specifically, Speed Shine at http://www.griotsgarage.com/p2p/sear...rrivals&page=1 and Spray-On Wax at http://www.griotsgarage.com/p2p/sear...rrivals&page=1 will get you started.

My coach has never been washed in almost 4 years and 45K miles. It looks as good as or better than the day I bought it.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 06:40 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I typically use either RV Glitter or Turtle Wax wash for the RV as well as the truck.

Dish washing detergent would be harsh and cut any protective coatings too easily.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 07:39 PM   #6

I use an auto wash that contains wax in it -- that way I am replinishing my wax as I wash. I also wax the MH once a year just to make sure that the wax is on it.
Old 04-27-2009, 06:45 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Dawn will do a fine job or removing dirt, road grime, bird droppings.... and any wax or polish as well. It is not too harsh for the paint or fiberglass, but probably overkill for most needs. I have used it in the past when the coach sat for months under some trees that got it really yuchy with an almost greasy film on the top and upper sides. Dawn cut right through it. I re-waxed the coach afterwards, though.
I normally use any of the readily available brands of auto wash soaps. They require less rinsing than dish detergents and generally do not water spot or streak as much
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 02:06 PM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
Has anyone used the Eagle One Easi-Dri wash?

Advertising material states that it dries without leaving spots. Before I plunk down the money it would be great to have an actual user verify the effectiveness of the product.

Nick
Old 04-27-2009, 07:29 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I used the Eagle One Easi-Dri last week. I did not have any luck with it. Right now, I can't recommend it to anyone. I read the review in MotorHome mag and gave it a try. Very disappointed but I will give it another try next month. My problem could have been the way I rinsed the coach off. We will see.
PizzaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 07:48 PM   #10

I would think for the Eagle One to work that one would have to have very soft water -- like running the water through a water softner device. I wash with water that I have run through my water softner and I do not have water spots.
Old 05-06-2009, 10:17 AM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi Ho: For what it's worth, soft water has no lime (CaCO3) because of the ion exchange process of the water softener, but it does have whatever else is in the water in the way of minerals etc. These can still leave spots.

Self-serve car washes have a final rinse that uses reverse osmosis (RO) water. This is really spot free. Once or twice a year we stop at the local car wash (with big doors) and wash the motorhome. This works really well, however it does cost $6 or $7.

Most of the time we just use the pressure washer with no soap at all and a little bucket of warm water with very little detergent for the places it is needed. We find that getting the bugs off sooner rather than later is a good idea.

Dirk
dirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 10:30 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
My coach has never been washed in almost 4 years and 45K miles. It looks as good as or better than the day I bought it.
Gary, are you saying that using the SpeedShine product without rinsing or buffing is all you need? No conventional washing with soap and water needed? That would be very handy since my storage facility has no water source (we'd need to use the RV tank for rinsing).
Rich_in_Tampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 11:03 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
I can vouch for Gary's coach looking great as I was parked next to him in Florida last year. I use the same method he does, just a different product. No wash, rinse or dry. Just spray on and wipe off.
Our Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 12:15 PM   #14

I use the fulltimer's choice/camco RV wash and shine. It seems to leave a slick waxlike film, and takes most dirt off easily.

If you swing by an airport, they have a similar product for small aircraft that works well.

If it has an automotive paint type finish, McGuire's soft wash gell works well for the money, and won't strip off waxes and oils in the paint or dry out plastic so bad. Really, the price isn't that much different than dish soap...
Jeff_in_The_Dalles is offline   Reply With Quote