Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-28-2019, 07:32 AM   #1

Wasp spray for self defense does not work

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2019, 07:53 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Brave guy but proves a point.
So reinforces the point to use either pepper spray, bear spray [Mod Edit].
Old 11-28-2019, 07:54 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Interesting. I had always thought the spray would get into the intruder's eyes and disable him. Guess not. Good video, and good to debunk a myth.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
Old 11-28-2019, 08:02 AM   #4

I was a promoter for Wasp Spray as self defense until I accidentally dosed myself right in the eyes/face. I was spraying a wasp nest that was in the corner of a low hanging eave. The spray rebounded right back in my face, a LOT of liquid, in my eyes, nose, etc. Nothing but a bad taste and an oily feeling (washed/rinsed with copious quantities of water, than shampoo and soap of course), but no detrimental effects whatsoever, no stinging, irritation, etc. I'll stick to things that go . . well, LOUD things
Old 11-28-2019, 09:02 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
WOW! That's great information. Thanks for sharing!
Old 11-28-2019, 11:08 AM   #6

For any doubters remaining here's a story about a firefighter who used wasp spray to defend his wife and almost died for his ignorance. Luckily his wife saved both of them.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...-deputies-say/
Old 11-28-2019, 11:25 AM   #7

As a mechanic,I believe a dose of brakecleaner in the eyes will put anyone down,if you get it in their eyes!
Old 11-28-2019, 11:28 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronster View Post
As a mechanic,I believe a dose of brakecleaner in the eyes will put anyone down,if you get it in their eyes!
I haven't gotten it in my eyes, but brake clean will drop a yellow jacket in mid flight.
Old 11-28-2019, 12:43 PM   #9

Bear spray is only 1 or 2% capsicum, pepper spray is 10% or more.
Think I would use the pepper spray on a bad guy.
https://thriftyoutdoorsman.com/peppe...ay-difference/
Old 11-28-2019, 12:57 PM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Ask yourself: If wasp spray was a better alternative for stopping a human attacker, why haven't any police or military forces tried to adopt it as a less-lethal chemical in their toolkit? Some will probably say something like "Geneva Conventions" or "chemical warfare" but police aren't covered under those international treaties or the rules of war.

Pepper spray, when used properly, will be an effective deterrent to an attack by most animals, human or otherwise. It's been around for decades, multiple companies have been working on a better pepper spray for longer than that, and it will conitnue to be improved going forward. Stick to what you know works.

And if you haven't been sprayed yourself so you know what to expect if it gets on you, I highly recommend it. A little quick shot so it gets on your face, maybe in your eyes, and inhale a little (UNLESS YOU HAVE A LUNG DISEASE, IF YOU DO OR SUSPECT YOU DO DON'T DO ANY OF THIS) If it makes you curl up in a little ball crying for mommy when a little bit hits you, it's gonna take the fight right out of you too if you are trying to defend yourself, so know how to use it, what to expect, and have an attitude of fighting through the effects of it.

It's a very spicy meatball!!!
Old 11-28-2019, 01:42 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcussen View Post
Bear spray is only 1 or 2% capsicum, pepper spray is 10% or more.
Think I would use the pepper spray on a bad guy.
https://thriftyoutdoorsman.com/peppe...ay-difference/
Some states and countries (Canada for example) categorize pepper spray as a weapon. Bear spray is not classified that way, so it is safe to carry in all states and countries.
Old 11-28-2019, 05:31 PM   #12
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
Ask yourself: If wasp spray was a better alternative for stopping a human attacker, why haven't any police or military forces tried to adopt it as a less-lethal chemical in their toolkit? Some will probably say something like "Geneva Conventions" or "chemical warfare" but police aren't covered under those international treaties or the rules of war.

Pepper spray, when used properly, will be an effective deterrent to an attack by most animals, human or otherwise. It's been around for decades, multiple companies have been working on a better pepper spray for longer than that, and it will conitnue to be improved going forward. Stick to what you know works.

And if you haven't been sprayed yourself so you know what to expect if it gets on you, I highly recommend it. A little quick shot so it gets on your face, maybe in your eyes, and inhale a little (UNLESS YOU HAVE A LUNG DISEASE, IF YOU DO OR SUSPECT YOU DO DON'T DO ANY OF THIS) If it makes you curl up in a little ball crying for mommy when a little bit hits you, it's gonna take the fight right out of you too if you are trying to defend yourself, so know how to use it, what to expect, and have an attitude of fighting through the effects of it.

It's a very spicy meatball!!!
Problem is pepper spray will not work on everybody. I carry FOX in my truck and on my person. In addition this is what was used in our prison for numerous years. If an individual on strong mental health drugs is sprayed sometimes due to the drugs OC will not affect them. I have seen individuals take full on face shots and just stand there.

Fox is a very good spray, you do not need to get it into the eyes for it to be effective. Fox is hot and it lasts for a long time. There is another brand called Sabre Red, it is hotter, but the recovery time is shorter, allot shorter.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
Old 11-28-2019, 05:54 PM   #13

We carry wasp spray on our bikes to ward off aggressive dogs. The spray doesn't hurt the dog much but it has a 20' range and it will surprise the attacking dog to the point they will usually stop and give you a chance to get away. It's the 20' range that I like, other sprays may be more effective, but the 3'< spray range doesn't leave much room for error if you miss.
Old 11-28-2019, 07:29 PM   #14

Wasp spray is a nuisance,[Mod Edit]
Closed Thread