Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-06-2013, 07:37 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Wasps & Flies in RV....

At our home base CG, we have a issue of wasps getting in various locations outside the RV and some in. They also get in and under cover on my boat in area 500' from the RV. No matter how many times I remove nests or spray they keep coming back to same locations.

Now we traded RV's and the wasps still want to invade the RV. On these cold fall days the temps have been in the 30's. When we go up to the RV and turn on heat it seems to warm them up enough they come out through a vent or someplace not sure. I did see one crawl out of AC vent.

Then there are the flies. Warm fall days they want to congregate along side of the west side of the RV. Somehow they also seem to find a way inside.

I am hoping I have gotten rid of them but I suspect a nest might be in the walls or something. Has any one else had to deal with this? We keep the coach extremely clean, washed. I put some moth balls in few spots and some outside as well.

What is a good deterrent? Do those ultrasonic sound gizmos work?
In just one week from when we were up there previously I got rid of 3 more wasps and about 50 flies inside our rig Most of them congregated around the inside shower like they came in around the sunlight in the shower. Everything on my roof is clean and has fresh sealant. Only way I can think they are coming in is through one of the AC units.

Kro1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2013, 08:53 PM   #2

Have you considered setting-off a few bug bombs in the MH? They are quite effective.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 08:12 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
We have a wasp problem here in middle AL. I bought those metal covers from an RV dealer's store (can get at Camping World also) that cover the heater vents and the water heater on the outside. Those things really do work to keep them from entering and making nests inside. We can't cover our AC's because they are also heat pumps and we travel in the winter also. However, I don't see how they could enter the vents from the AC outside unless you have an unsealed place somewhere. Remove the shroud and take a look at the seals around the unit. Then I would start looking underneath where the electrical conduits (and water) enter the coach. Make sure they are sealed - in some cases I use brass wool (not steel since it rusts) where it has to flex. Check the seals on your bay doors and make sure there are no flat spots on it leaving an opening to the underside. There are a million places that can be the problem from the underside. The way I checked it was to put a light in the underneath at night and then look from the outside around the doors. I was shocked to find several gaps around the doors. All is well now for us except that the darn things will try to build a nest up around the awning and the slide toppers and around the generator at certain times of the year. Driving off pretty much leaves them behind then I take care of the nest when we stop. They are devils!
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 09:06 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I too used the metal grill covers and no problems (so far) for us...
(I do set off a bug bomb periodically though)

or you could make it a competition and get two of these
Electric Fly Swatter - Fun Bug Zapper - PPL Motor Homes
Old 11-07-2013, 12:18 PM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
I also use the vent screens on the furnaces and remove in the winter.
A recommendation here on IRV2 was to use the cheap flea collars in the furnace and fridge areas. Has seemed to work well. (instructions say to stretch them to activate.)
This year I found a huge wasp nest in the roof AC. Reluctant to use wasp spray up there because it contains petroleum distillates. Also they did not want me on the roof. Went on 2 week trip to Michigan, bees were still there in MI. and on return. Didn't expect that....

Ortho makes a foaming wasp spray, fairly accurate stream and it covers the wasp's in foam on the spot..
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 09:25 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Great input.... A while back I did read of where you can make wasp spray. I think it was using dish soap and water in a spray bottle.

I do have the wasp guards on furnace exhaust. I will look to see if there are other items available. I like that brass wool idea also will try and find where in the heck these buggers are coming in at and also set off some bombs but I never used them before. Since we live in the RV at times I want to make it safe. Never been a real fan of chemicals and how they might get ingested by humans. But I want to get them gone!!!
Kro1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 11:20 PM   #7

Solo Rvers Club
Just wondering if have you ever used KONK?
It is a bug spray that REALLY works and it is safe to use around humans and animals, it is used even in dairy barns and works like a whiz!!
There are different formulas, but the one I use is in the orange top can,

'insecticide Konk Pro commercial & farm insect killer ... even just spraying the curtains I have noticed that even by day 2 they are still 'dropping like flies..
you can even use this formula in food processing plants and on animals...

I have soaked some absorbent cotton with it and poked it into small spaces and if that is where they get in they are dead outside...you can spray the outside in the eves type places of the rig (awning etc,) and it keeps them away. (make sure there is no wind..
You don't need a lot and it is about $20.00 well worth it.

Konk Pro Pyrethrin Spray Strong 500 gram - Pacific North West Garden Supply
Old 11-08-2013, 11:13 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Thanks for that info on Konk....I've been looking for a product that would be safe around the dogs. Every spring I take the shroud off the AC and have found a small wasp nest in the unit twice.
Old 11-09-2013, 05:44 AM   #9

Just when you think you have a wasp/bee problem......check this poor owner's trailer out.... Look what was under the bed..
Old 11-09-2013, 06:03 AM   #10

You can buy an automatic dispenser for the Konk. It adjusts as how often you want it to spray. Runs on a battery. One can will last a long time. Cheers Gerald
Old 11-09-2013, 11:17 PM   #11

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald Duerr View Post
You can buy an automatic dispenser for the Konk. It adjusts as how often you want it to spray. Runs on a battery. One can will last a long time. Cheers Gerald

Yes
I see that but do not see the formula that I regularly use.(doesn't mean it isn't there) I do have animals around and use it around baseboards. I do try to remember to do this once a week before we go out for a walk, the reason being I give it a good soak and it is dry by the time we return. As for the bits of cotton I have stuffed in small places I also give them a squirt when I remember and as a result no surprise visitors in cupboards etc. BTW, if your dog does get a tick just spray some Konk onto a saucer , and use a Q tip to soak it up or some cotton, and cover the tick at the root and top do that for a couple of days and it will just shrivel and drop off, with the first tick I was at the vets and for 30.00 I got 'something to kill the tick... with the second |I had been told by the breeder to use the konk or any insecticide ... it worked well and no side effects ... and still lots left to spray away the rest of the critter
I do like the idea of an intermittent spray however, will check further . I don't get a lot of bugs, but do see more in spring and fall when it is still cool, and those darn year long flies!
thanks for the tip!
I find my Konk at Home hardware stores. $20.00
Old 11-09-2013, 11:29 PM   #12

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94-Newmar View Post
Just when you think you have a wasp/bee problem......check this poor owner's trailer out.... Look what was under the bed..
I surely hope that had been abandoned for awhile in a field!!

How very scary, a lot of people are allergic to wasps and bees...glad I didn't have to remove it, big plastic bag and gloves to the armpits comes to mind....
Old 11-09-2013, 11:37 PM   #13

Seasoned RVers have told me that flea collars work in places like the fridge, water heater bay, etc. I bought a couple of large ones I'm going to cut in half and try them. We have never had a problem but there's always a first time....
road dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 06:35 AM   #14

Enokie; as a previous post says you can buy Konk wich is made for food plants.So it is safe for all your animals. Cheers Gerald