Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-14-2014, 01:37 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
Can you expand on why you will have to sanitize more often if using a Charcoal Filter outside? Not saying you're wrong, just don't understand.
Charcoal removes chlorine. No chlorine in the tank & pipes results in more likely algae/etc growth. Chlorine does dissipate from water after a time, but running chlorinated shore water into the tank and plumbing each time you refill the tank helps to keep the system disinfected.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2014, 01:54 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChap View Post
Charcoal removes chlorine. No chlorine in the tank & pipes results in more likely algae/etc growth. Chlorine does dissipate from water after a time, but running chlorinated shore water into the tank and plumbing each time you refill the tank helps to keep the system disinfected.

Well, live and learn. Another example of time well spent on iRV2. Thanks,,,,

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum

Old 10-14-2014, 07:44 PM   #17

I use 250 ml of hydrogen peroxide in my 80 gal fresh water tank to disinfect, it dissipates rapidly, 24 hrs. and is tasteless and will not harm you if you do not get carried away.
Old 10-15-2014, 09:53 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentor View Post
I use 250 ml of hydrogen peroxide in my 80 gal fresh water tank to disinfect, it dissipates rapidly, 24 hrs. and is tasteless and will not harm you if you do not get carried away.
The recommended ratio is 1/8 cup/1/2 oz per gallon of water.Using Hydrogen Peroxide (H2O2) to purify water | Survival Recovery
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 02:04 AM   #19

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&SL View Post
I do not understand why people are so defensive about doing something safer!!! Some people will learn the hard way.

Mody n Domy could not agree with you more! I do the same. Thanks
I think that what some may be saying is that while maybe there is some small percentage of increased safety, given that most people don't go to that degree of protection and that there isn't a real rash of reports of people getting sick or dying from CG water, it maybe a bit alarmist. Probably a greater risk of getting hit by a car when you consider the millions who camp every year all over the continent. Not saying that it isn't useful advice to keep in mind but it does seem that we have become paranoid about clean. Got to sterilize, sanitize, pasteurize until nothing lives or moves. In someways that isn't healthy either. Immune systems are kind of funny that way. You have to use them or they get lazy on you.
Old 10-17-2014, 11:55 AM   #20

I am the the OP sorry I haven't got back sooner to answer your questions we have been on the road. First of all if the information I posted doesn't sound like something you want to do that's your choice. I'm just giving you some information that you may or may not want to use. I just would feel bad if I didn't post some of my thoughts and some one got sick or worse I would feel horrible. I did go to a backflow training school and am certified to inspect backflow preventers. And yes people have died from drinking water out of water lines, is what I told you overkill you decide. As far as hooking up my systems I hook up power first then spray water valve with Clorox clean up on the outside including the handle and on the inside then run water through it for a couple seconds. Then the sewer hose and wash my hands with hot water and soap. I have told many campers about spraying water valves and what I have seen and every one of them have told me thanks and they will be doing that from then on.
Old 10-19-2014, 07:02 PM   #21

Well, we stopped at a CG owned and operated by the adjacent RV sales business just South of Salt Lake City once. I was standing outside looking around just as a woman walked by with a 3-legged dog (yes, It's true). She stopped while the dog crapped in a vacant site, then moved the dog over to the water faucet, turned it on, and proceeded to hold the dogs butt under the faucet and wash the anus with her hand, touching the faucet all over in the process.
Yes, I spray the follow Mody and Domy's process from that time on.
And no, she did not pickup the droppings either.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water