RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-19-2019, 06:12 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Water Filter with more Water Pressure?

Since my filter plugged up on me and I have been without one for a week I am wondering about my filter selection. I have been loving the additional water pressure especially at the shower. I have been using this
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 for years.

Are there water filters that will still filter out the bad stuff, but also give me better water pressure?

reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2019, 06:23 PM   #2

Why filter shower and toilet water? Move the filters under the kitchen sink and just filter that.

Agesilaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 06:28 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
.5 micron is as fine as filters come. Try moving up to a larger micron size. Suggest trying 5 micron.
Chargerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 07:26 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agesilaus View Post
Why filter shower and toilet water? Move the filters under the kitchen sink and just filter that.
I actually did do that on my previous motorhome. My refrigerator in this one has its own filter.
Old 10-19-2019, 09:09 PM   #5

If the water pressure drops as the faucet is open for more than a few seconds, then that's indicative that there is a lack of GPM from the supply. If adding a filter caused the notice of pressure loss, and you also want a high degree of filtering, you can get a different filter that has higher GPM with same low pass filter. This would typically be a higher surface area filter ie: a bigger unit. You can do same by putting a second filter in parallel to the current one with same filtering spec. This will then pass twice the GPM and the problem should be gone.
Old 10-19-2019, 09:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav L View Post
If the water pressure drops as the faucet is open for more than a few seconds, then that's indicative that there is a lack of GPM from the supply. If adding a filter caused the notice of pressure loss, and you also want a high degree of filtering, you can get a different filter that has higher GPM with same low pass filter. This would typically be a higher surface area filter ie: a bigger unit. You can do same by putting a second filter in parallel to the current one with same filtering spec. This will then pass twice the GPM and the problem should be gone.
Correct! Each filter has a maximum GPM efficiency rating.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 06:13 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
I went to the RVFilter website to check on the gpm of their filters. It shows the same 3-4 gpm for both 0.5 and 5 microns filters.
Old 10-20-2019, 07:21 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Water Filter with more Water Pressure?

Thats good info. I thought the finer filter rating would mean less flow. I stand corrected. Thanks for the info. The flow would likely taper off quicker due to the finer filtration though. Three gallons + would be plenty of flow for a good shower but maybe it got compromised rather quickly due to the .5 rating
Chargerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 09:16 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

The easiest way to increase flow rate is to put a second filter in parallel. That doubles the gpm regardless of what type of filter is used.

Note that the gpm ratings are for a new filter. As soon as they are used for awhile, they begin to clog up and the flow rate declines. A finer mesh (lower micron) filter clogs much more quickly IF you encounter water with lots of fine particles. If all the particles in the water exceed 10 microns, it doesn't make any difference whether the filter is 0.5 or 5.0 - all the particles get caught. But if some of the particles are under 5 microns, they get caught in the 0.5 micron filter but not in the 5.0.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 06:13 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
The easiest way to increase flow rate is to put a second filter in parallel. That doubles the gpm regardless of what type of filter is used.

Note that the gpm ratings are for a new filter. As soon as they are used for awhile, they begin to clog up and the flow rate declines. A finer mesh (lower micron) filter clogs much more quickly IF you encounter water with lots of fine particles. If all the particles in the water exceed 10 microns, it doesn't make any difference whether the filter is 0.5 or 5.0 - all the particles get caught. But if some of the particles are under 5 microns, they get caught in the 0.5 micron filter but not in the 5.0.
^^^I think this is where I made my mistake. Our MH has double filters in series(I think) and I may have bought a .5 m filter w/a carbon filter as a kit. Took about a week for the pressure/gpm to drop to nothing. Must do some more research on filter choices...any recommendations?

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 07:33 PM   #11

Once you get your filter figured out, go to Oxygenitics for you shower. Great shower for less than 1GPM.
Old 10-26-2019, 06:15 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtCamper View Post
Once you get your filter figured out, go to Oxygenitics for you shower. Great shower for less than 1GPM.
I have one of these that I used in my previous motorhome. My wife hated it, but I liked it. Our current shower head works great with good pressure, but it fills the tank up fast.
Old 10-26-2019, 05:03 PM   #13

Yes, filters do restrict the water pressure, especially as they get dirty. If you want consistent, good pressure everywhere you should just "submit" and run from your fresh tank.
If you don't like the pressure of your pump, upgrade to a more gpm version and one that maintains the 60lbs pressure. Newer coaches have control boards that handle 10 amps already, so no worry there.

I filter water 3 or 4 times (depending on what the tests show) before it hits my inlet valve and then into my tank. After that, I'm on the pump - I have a 4.0 gpm pump and the showers feel great. If you like to take 10 minute showers, you'll be filling the tank often, but can use the fresh tank while filling.

When you lost your inline sediment filter you are clogging screens everywhere in the system, more and more, every gallon that comes through it. Not a good thing and extra work for you.
The solution: Get a multi stage filter housing (I have a 3 stage housing) with a 25 micron sediment inline, a 1 micron washable filter and then a .5 micron carbon block. I leave the 3rd stage empty usually. If you're in a high iron area add a special iron removal filter in the 3rd stage (I have one but haven't used it yet). I empty the filter stages and let the filters dry for a while before storing them back in the canisters.

Once you have clean water in the fresh tank - you're good for a few days, or for me about a week.
The way I look at it, I have a lot of time on my hands when camping, so why not. You have to take a cup of water from the post spigot, after you let it run at full blast for a few seconds, and use test strips to see how bad it is. I've been to some CG that are on better city water then my S&B so I don't filter it at all. Most, I use my 3 filters to get it clean enough to drink. I also have another .5 micron on my dedicated drinking water tap on the sink - so it catches anything left over.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 07:29 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
Are there water filters that will still filter out the bad stuff, but also give me better water pressure?
I use a 5-micron sediment filter and a carbon block filter in clear 10-inch jumbo canisters. I suggest clear housings as you can see what's going on.

Tags
water, water pressure