Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-10-2011, 03:44 PM   #1

Water filters

There are topics about keeping your fuel tank full because of condensation, what about keeping your water system sanitary. I read a post about low water pressure and someone posted a dirty filter. Now if you have a filter dirty enough to reduce water pressure you probably should not drink the water. Maybe it's one of those out of sight out of mind things.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2011, 04:07 PM   #2

Most potable water has some amount of dirt in it. Usually a minute amount. Water filters are used to trap this dirt and keep it out of your plumbing system. Just because a filter does it's job and traps dirt as it is supposed to does not mean the water is not potable (drinkable). Anything in potable water is injestable, dirt included. If there has been a problem with a water system and the piping has been opened for whatever reason, maybe a pipe break, then there is cause to be cautious.

You should sanitize your RV water tank and system each 6 months. Much has been written here as to how to do it. Search for it.
ralper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 04:23 PM   #3
TW

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Poatable water and Filters

We NEVER drink the 'Potable Water' from a CG or from other sources. We
prefer the Bottled water from Hope, BC. Taste like water should taste, great!

TW
TW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 04:24 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
One of the big problems is that Many RV's want 45-50 PSI max pressure,

You put a regulator at the PARK water hydrant (Which is where it belongs) and then put the filter near as possible your city water inlet (Again, where it belongs) and even with a brand new filter the pressure is further reduced.
Old 07-10-2011, 05:17 PM   #5

I rairly drink CG water unless the campground is hooked to city water; then i know its been treated. even then I run it through a filter.
melvonnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 08:20 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
We drink the campground water all the time. Geez, do you think the water comes from the local creek? Campground water comes from a water treatment plant just like the water you get at your house. You might not like the taste of it because you aren't used to it but it is completely safe to drink.

The best place for water filter info is from the Water Filter Store. Check their website, you can learn a lot. RV Water Filter Store: Standard Filter Canisters for Whole RV
dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 08:27 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
We drink the campground water all the time. Geez, do you think the water comes from the local creek? Campground water comes from a water treatment plant just like the water you get at your house. You might not like the taste of it because you aren't used to it but it is completely safe to drink.

The best place for water filter info is from the Water Filter Store. Check their website, you can learn a lot. RV Water Filter Store: Standard Filter Canisters for Whole RV
I camp in a COE park in PA. The water is so bad even the locals won't drink it.
Old 07-21-2011, 04:20 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post

With all due respect. Not all campgrounds have treated water. Some have wells that just pump the water from the ground to your RV. And, as a retired plumber I can say that not all treated water is the same quality. I've seen delivery systems that made my skin crawl. I'm not a bottled water person when at home and never buy bottled water when I'm thirsty. But, we always bring inexpensive bottled water when camping, not the fancy stuff just the kind you can buy at Wal Mart. It makes me feel better about what I'm putting in my body.
ajlcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 08:43 AM   #9

I worked for a major well pump manufacturer for 29 years and I can tell you because city water is treated, a lot can happen between the treatment plant and the end user. I use two sediment filters and then go through a RO system when possible. I always spray sanitizer on the faucet area before hooking up my hoses and sanitize the holding tank every three to four months. Beware of bottled water....I've seen city water test better than bottled. Just because it says it says "spring feed" don't always believe it.

Goldendog
Old 07-22-2011, 09:41 AM   #10

1993 Milwaukee Cryptosporidium outbreak

After experiencing the 93 Milwaukee outbreak, I filter the bejeezus out of incoming water . . . sediment filter, carbon block filter, water softener, UV filter, and undersink RO for drinking water.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 01:07 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechWriter View Post
After experiencing the 93 Milwaukee outbreak, I filter the bejeezus out of incoming water . . . sediment filter, carbon block filter, water softener, UV filter, and undersink RO for drinking water.

Looks like about all thats left in that water is the wet!

Dieselclacker
dieselclacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 01:26 PM   #12

My sis-in-law got liver parasites that almost killed her before it was diagnosed. It's all too easy to take good water for granted. I will only drink/cook with brand name bottled water when I'm on the road.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 06:58 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselclacker View Post
Looks like about all thats left in that water is the wet!

Dieselclacker
Bingo! It's so clear that you can't see it.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 01:50 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechWriter View Post
Bingo! It's so clear that you can't see it.
Also when you drink it your still thirsty.

Tags
water