Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-11-2013, 05:34 AM   #1
Question Water filtration

As I prepare for my maiden voyage in my recently purchased 2002 Damon Intruder I began to look into the subject of water pressure and filtration systems. My question is....how necessary is it to purify water at campgrounds and state/national parks? I did purchase an inline filter but am not sure this is going to be adequate. Any help on this issue will be greatly appreciated!

Linda and
"Blackberry". (The mini poo with attitude)
2002 Damon Intruder
RVBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2013, 05:40 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
CG's and State Parks have water that is safe to drink. It certainly isn't purified. We don't drink any of it as we go from CG to CG and the water content is always different. This doesn't sit well with me . We buy our drinking water. It's your plumbing that needs to be sanitized.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:48 AM   #3
You never know what quality of water you will get when traveling, some places good and some very bad. Many on well systems with lots of minerals/hardness. A filter is your first line of defense and a must IMHO and helps with taste, particles, and what ever, depending on your choice of filter. If you drink it purification is good otherwise carry bottled water for drinking, coffee, etc. I also installed a WaterBoss softener in the basement, which we would not be without. Went the portable softener for a while, but built in automatic one is great.
♫ Happy Trails... to You ♪....., Until We Meet Again ♪..... ♫
justaroamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:54 AM   #4
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We drink the water wherever go and have for eleven full timing years. We have a whole house water filter with a 5 micron charcoal cartridge that removes sediment and bad tastes.
We have a portable Mark8000 water softener that we use when needed
Clay WA5NMR - Ex Snowbird - 1 year, Ex Full timer for 11 years - 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N Workhorse chassis. Honda Accord toad.
Clay L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:13 AM   #5
New Horizons Owners Club
I rely heavily on filtering my own water. The quality of the water at campgrounds I have stayed at from the deep south and all across TX and CO has varied tremendously. Some are on "city" water and some are on private wells, all can have their own taste, smell and suspended particles problems. The DW has the nose of a bloodhound and if there is the slightest odor, then it is off to buy bottled water.

Living in a 5th wheel full time I really did not want the hassle of buying/storing bottled water so I instead installed two whole-house filters, in series. The first canister is 5 micron sediment filtration and the next one is also 5 micron but also charcoal for taste and odor. And then to go a step further I have a HydroLife under-sink filter that feeds the ice maker and a dedicated spigot on the sink.

Much to my relief, the bloodhound, er I mean DW, has not once said a word about water quality. And based on the gunk I have cleaned out of the whole-house filters, I think that is pretty amazing. They really do work as advertized.
'06 F-550 PSD Tow Boss
2012 37' Majestic by New Horizons
BLOG: www.CuRVWander.blogspot.com
jperry29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:49 AM   #6
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
RV Baby,

The in-line filter you bought should be fine. You won't notice the pressure drop until it gets dirty (in my case about a year which equals roughly 60-90 days of camping). Make sure you get a good adjustable pressure regulator as well.
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:59 AM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
We use the Camco in-line blue filter outside to take out the larger particles and another filter under the sink that gets the really small (and bad) stuff including lead, cysts, etc. I think it goes down to about .5 microns. We have a separate faucet on the sink for it. It also supplies water to the icemaker in the fridge. The under-sink filter element is pretty expensive but well worth it to us! When we are going on a day trip in the toad we fill several bottles of water and take with us in a cooler.

As for the bottled water, we try to avoid it if at all possible. I've seen too many reports about lab tests on bottled water!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:18 AM   #8
National RV Owners Club
We use one of the camco inline filters purchased from Walmart. If the campground has hook ups it's attached at the wet bay. If we're dry camping it's attached before filling the fresh water tank. Since half our trips during the summer are to sites that don't have water hook ups, it sees a lot of use with tank fills. One filter just lasts the summer before it becomes too restrictive. It helps with sediment that accumulates in the aerators on the faucets. The freshwater tank gets sanitized at the beginning of the camping season and once or twice throughout the season.

Can hardly wait for the season to start!
Harley Ultra Classic (Geezer Glide) Rider, Retired US Army Paratrooper, fisherman, shooter. Proud to have served, proud of those that still do, or have done so with pride.
2005 National Dolphin 34'
Wolfpack Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:02 AM   #9
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
How necessdary it is to filter/purify.. Well, I do filter, but not purify (Big diffence)

As others have said, All the campgrounds the water is supposed to be tested, far as I know it is, and certified as fit for human consumption (Save for the non-potable hose near the dump station,, and to be honest it likely is ok too but the hose may be a bit...er.. contaminated.)

BUT that said, I have been in campgrounds where I could not drink the water without filtering. A simple carbon filter took care of it.

You can spend anywhere from a few dollars to well over a hundred (Make it hudreds) on filters. I will give you some considerations.

First: I have never used anything more than a simple carbon filter, Do not feel the need for anything better.

Small filters, or filters with small particulate filters (Camco makes one with carbon inside a ceramic cylinder, this is an example of a particulate filter) tend to restrict the flow of water.... Larger filters do not restrict as much.

Filters come in two types, Disposable or re-fillable. The Cmaco (I think it is a CX-90) I mentioned above I found I did not like, the housing is too easy to break.

Look for filters with a larger diamater.

I ended up making my own carbon filter.

I took some 3" (2 would do) PVC, caps reducers, elbow and showere drain covers (PVC or Stainless) and a pair of threaded couplings (one each maile/female)

The shower drain covers, properly trimmed, go into the 3" reducer fittings (2 each) then the 3" pipe) 10-12 inches) cut a few inched from one end, This is where the mated threaded couplers go.

Reducers and elbows as needed to get to garden hose connections on the end of the first reducer.

Filling the filter

Some filter floss (Pet fish area at Wal Mart) Followed by a bottle of activated charcoal (Same section) Get the plain kind not the chemical added kind (Anti-ammonia is the wrong kind) and more floss

Screw the two havels together and .. you are good to go. Run fresh water through it at least 30 seconds, replace floos and charcoal every 1-3 months.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:21 AM   #10
Winnebago Owners Club
Carbon filters absorb chlorine so remember to add a teaspoon of laundry bleach into your fresh water tank before filling .Keeps the tank from getting that stagant smell.
grandpatime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:13 AM   #11
Monaco Owners Club
If you want to learn about water filtration and treatment go to RV Water Filter Store: Standard Filter Canisters for Whole RV and read all of the articles linked in the left column menu. Once you've read all this you will have taken a crash course in water filtration.

When we first bought our coach it became a concern for me for a number of reasons. We were constantly spending money on bottled water for drinking and cooking. Our former home in MA had very hard water that literally ruined the copper plumbing from the inside out.

We live in our coach full-time so we wanted a system that would soften the water and also improve the taste. Other than the hose, the first thing our water sees is a 5 micron sediment filter, then a 1 micron sediment filter, then a carbon filter and finally through a water softener. Our water is clean and it tastes good. We no longer have a need for bottled water, or a concern that hard minerals will ruin the plumbing.
Craig & Donna
2005 Beaver Monterey Laguna IV (aka The Hotel Monterey)
2011 Jeep Liberty Limited
Craig_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:42 AM   #12
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
My simple process:

Coach has a "whole house" water filter.

Water at stick house is pretty darn good. Fill up to whatever level I want at the stick house.

Arrive at CG. If water tastes bad even coming through the filter, use on-board water for cooking, etc. When we get to a CG where it tastes right, re-fill the fresh holding tank, and continue cycle.

We also have a Brita Pitcher Filter. We fill the Brita up and use that for coffee and other ingestion needs including Kurig. The Brita is one of the better purchases DW has made - but don't tell her I said that.
Wayne MSGT USMC (Ret) & Earlene (CinCHouse)
2008 Winnebago Destination 39W
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:56 AM   #13
I installed one of these in our ACE 29.2. I have been using the smaller version of this filter when backpacking for almost 25 years...filtering some pretty nasty stuff and it always came out clear and pure. It isn't cheap, but I could fill the tank with lake water if I wanted...add a bit of chlorine to keep down any algae growth, and have purer water than bottled.

I also use the CAMCO blue filter on the hose going into the tank to filter out the big pieces to extend the life on the Seagull filter.

Seagull IV X-1F Purifier with Faucet

• Under Counter Installation for Chemical Free Purification at finger tips
  • Easy to winterize to use seasonally.
  • Stainless Steel Housing with replaceable cartridge. Includes faucet.
  • Quick and Easy Installation.

>> more information
>> order now

FredKate is offline   Reply With Quote