Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2014, 07:11 AM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Water filtration system

I am tired of carrying drinking water in bottles. Has anyone out there installed a water filtration system that supplies deinking water and/or ice cube water. The prices I have seen for systems run from $69 to $500, and they all make big claims. Reverse osmosis (whatever that is) 2,3,5, 7 filter systems, under sink, whole house, and on and on. I am worried about sewer seepage at a campground, and just general bad water. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Jim Vinton jamesvinton@comcast.net

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2014, 07:22 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
We went to Lowe's and got a whole house system, the same that we had put in our house in MI, and just hook that up. Filters for it are not that expensive when we need to change them out and Lowe's and the brand are everywhere. I don't remember how much but it was not that expensive compared to buying bottles all the time. Which we never did anyway as tap water is way better regulated then bottled.

Old 08-01-2014, 01:12 PM   #3

We use a water softener & a carbon filter. Works fine.
Old 08-01-2014, 01:49 PM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesvinton View Post
I am tired of carrying drinking water in bottles. Has anyone out there installed a water filtration system that supplies deinking water and/or ice cube water. The prices I have seen for systems run from $69 to $500, and they all make big claims. Reverse osmosis (whatever that is) 2,3,5, 7 filter systems, under sink, whole house, and on and on. I am worried about sewer seepage at a campground, and just general bad water. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Jim, we use the Camco blue in-line filter in the water hose, plus a high-quality carbon block filter under the sink with a separate faucet, which we use for all the water we drink or use for cooking.

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 06:23 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Why would you worry about sewage seepage in a campground? Their water comes from a treatment plant just like your city water does, they don't get it straight from a well
Old 08-01-2014, 06:47 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Jim, we use the Camco blue in-line filter in the water hose, plus a high-quality carbon block filter under the sink with a separate faucet, which we use for all the water we drink or use for cooking.
+1 We use the same setup.

We camped at one park without the under the sink and Dw didnt care for the taste( tasted fine to me but dont tell her) then I put in the under the sink filter and she said was much better.

Richard
RCG604 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 06:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesvinton View Post

Thanks

As full timers for the last 7 years, we have never carried bottled water. In this country, we are blessed with the best, safest, water supply in the world. Further improving your water is done with the following systems:

1. Standard 10" filter canisters. These can be ganged together.
2. UV treatment.
3. Ozone treatment
4. Reverse Osmosis.

Read up at this web site:

http://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 12:35 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Few, if any, of those filter systems others are using would protect against the stuff you fear. They are basically just particulate filters and aren't going to do much for biological threats. Personally, we don't fear those in campgrounds, but since you do, I would say either a reverse osmosis system or a decontamination treatment (ozone or UV) is best for you. Steve Ownby gave good advice.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 04:35 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
sewer seepage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
Why would you worry about sewage seepage in a campground? Their water comes from a treatment plant just like your city water does, they don't get it straight from a well
I just threw that in. don't really know id S/S is a problem.

Jim
Old 08-03-2014, 11:10 PM   #10

I think we're in fairly good shape. I first filter through a 5 micron 10" filter, then put it through a water softener, next a built in whole house filter which is 1 micron, and finally a reverse osmosis system which provides water to a separate kitchen faucet and the ice maker.

If you spend any time in the Yuma area, you'll want your water to be as clean as possible to keep the calcium and other minerals from ruining your water fixtures and coffee makers.

With my filtration and purification system, I never worry about any water in any RV park we stay at.
Old 08-06-2014, 10:26 PM   #11

just over 4 years ago we installed a Hydrotech 4VTFC50G-PB 4-stage Reverse Osmosis (RO) System in our camper .... it delivers all of the drinking/cooking water and water for our ice maker .... to make the system's filters last longer, we have two sediment and one carbon filter that the CG's water passes through prior to coming into the camper .... I cannot post pictures on this form, here is a link to additional info .... we have been well pleased with the system

Jim

Tags
water