Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-04-2012, 04:27 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cannon man View Post
ok guys, which watts do you use?
seems to be alot of numbers out there.
thanks, dave
If you want to use hose connections, either of these are popular. I have the second one, but it allows you to add a gauge if you want to later.

H560 Mini Brass Water Pressure Regulator - Watts

IR-56 Bronze Water Pressure Regulator - Watts
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2012, 04:54 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Where are these flow restrictor's being bought at? Camping World?
Have a link for them?
What is the name of them? Who is using them?

They must be new. I have never heard of them being used on the shore water line before entering the RV.

I use a Watts 3/4" regulator at the shore connection. It doesn't restrict any flow. to the MH 1/2" lines.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:15 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post

They must be new. I have never heard of them being used on the shore water line before entering the RV.
Far from new, been around since plumbing was invented. I know National put restrictors in their coaches for many years. I'm sure other mfgs have too. If you want a restrictor, drill a 1/8" hole in a penny and put it in your hose connection with another washer....same thing.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:33 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
CW sells this one by Valterra. Not a Watts but seems to work fine. Preset is 45 but adjustable.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3406753350.jpg
Views:	488
Size:	136.1 KB
ID:	30061
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:37 PM   #19

I to made one with a watts regulator and put a quick connect on it for the hose, I now have good pressure and volume. I also adjusted my mixing valve on the hot water heater, the best hot showers.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:42 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You need both a flow restrictor and pressure regulator do do the complete job. They both have different purposes.
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:54 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by puttin View Post
You need both a flow restrictor and pressure regulator do do the complete job. They both have different purposes.
I have to disagree in an RV. Restrictors are fine on each faucet if you wish (I remove mine), but to restrict flow into the entire RV is a bit nuts if you have a regulator. When I'm taking a shower, I want all the gph I can get.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:07 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Why would you want to restrict the flow? My watts regulator holds 55lbs max and I would not want the flow to be cut down. Just wondering?
Old 12-04-2012, 08:07 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
I have one of these installed in my wet bay. adjusted it to 50 psi and it works great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
CW sells this one by Valterra. Not a Watts but seems to work fine. Preset is 45 but adjustable.

Craig_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:05 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Here's a brief description of flow and pressure. I use a flow restrictor as extra insurance that I won't exceed what my plumbing can handle:

Pressure or Flow - What's the Problem?
Many people don't understand the difference between pressure and flow, but you need to in order to solve your problem. "Flow" is a measure of volume of water delivered in a period of time. The poor shower is caused by low flow, as are most other RV water supply problems. "Pressure" is a measure of the force of the water, and it is measured when no water is flowing ("static" pressure). It is true that for a given plumbing system, the higher the pressure, the better the flow. However, there is a practical limit to increasing pressure to improve flow.
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:24 PM   #25

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Here's a brief description of flow and pressure. I use a flow restrictor as extra insurance that I won't exceed what my plumbing can handle:
?????

You won't "exceed what my plumbing can handle" if you don't have a flow restrictor! The pipes and valves will only flow so much no matter how high the pressure is. What counts is holding the pressure down so you don't blow the pipes or fittings out. They are only rated for 60 to 75 psi, but there is no maximum flow rating other than what they can pass at what pressure.

Too many years designing fresh water and sewer systems I guess.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:36 PM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Pressure or Flow - What's the Problem?
Many people don't understand the difference between pressure and flow, but you need to in order to solve your problem. "Flow" is a measure of volume of water delivered in a period of time. The poor shower is caused by low flow, as are most other RV water supply problems. "Pressure" is a measure of the force of the water, and it is measured when no water is flowing ("static" pressure). It is true that for a given plumbing system, the higher the pressure, the better the flow. However, there is a practical limit to increasing pressure to improve flow. _______________

I'm sure this is correct in theory but seems to me that when talking flow - we had a penny with a hole it or some other means of restricting throughput - that would also result in an increase in pressure. Stick your thumb in a hose - it restricts flow and increases pressure. That's extreme I suppose. The more practical application would be drainage using graduated pipe with inside diameter going form larger to smaller over distance.

A Recent post notes kitchen line went from 1/2 to 3/8 or some such and thought that might be behind low water pressure. Not sure why this thread got my attention and that didn't so no idea of outcome - wisdom.

Nonetheless - can't see that there would be much gained with belt and suspenders since regulator is variable and a slug is a slug and both are doing roughly the same thing across the same distance. But one will not allow 110 to blast through your plumbing that is likely rated at < 100. Maybe assumes level of precision beyond capability. Just my thinking on the matter - may be all wet.

Tip I picked up here - when leaving the RV - shut the city water off. If something blows you may limit the water flow in a good way.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:47 PM   #27

Send a message via Skype™ to LandKinaMoho
Looks like you guys have figured whats watt.
LandKinaMoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:55 PM   #28

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LandKinaMoho View Post
Looks like you guys have figured whats watt.
1 watt times one second equals one joule - but that's a story for another day.