Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-28-2018, 06:49 AM   #15

[QUOTE=F4Gary;4370044]Link for the cartridge water
I am having difficulty posting the Amazon link, but this is the cartridge.
"Osmosis Revolution SR101 10"x2.5" Cation Resin Softener Water Filter for External Dishwasher Softener and RO systems, qty of 2"
I estimate we are using no more than 10 to 15 gal a week for dishwasher and coffee/drinking. It has been in use for 6 weeks and still 25 ppm.
redcolorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2018, 06:50 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by djl919 View Post
I always try to take home water for our dogs so I don't worry so much about stomach issues when we travel. We bring bottled water for ourselves for coffee, tea and such. Thinking this year I'd get a filtering system - myabe a filtered pitcher or faucet filter.

Does anyone else do this? Does anyone else have any suggestions or recommendations?

TIA
yes, I bring gallon jugs of our well water from our home for our dog. it does make a diff. on his poop....if I give him the 'local water' or even bottled water he gets the runs...you know , not a fun thing to deal with while on vacay and traveling!!!!

I wondered if a filter would make a diff. for him cause heck even if I filter out extra junk from 'other' water is it gonna keep his guts in good form like his everyday local water he drinks at home?

been thinking about what to do when we go long term and our well water is not available....but hey it is what it is I guess. Dog's guts will have to adapt to something filtered I guess....or put him on 'a popular' brand of bottled water I can buy everywhere and let his body adjust to that situation??

I don't know thinking about it all also.
Whirrlly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 08:27 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whirrlly View Post
yes, I bring gallon jugs of our well water from our home for our dog. it does make a diff. on his poop....if I give him the 'local water' or even bottled water he gets the runs...you know , not a fun thing to deal with while on vacay and traveling!!!!

I wondered if a filter would make a diff. for him cause heck even if I filter out extra junk from 'other' water is it gonna keep his guts in good form like his everyday local water he drinks at home?

been thinking about what to do when we go long term and our well water is not available....but hey it is what it is I guess. Dog's guts will have to adapt to something filtered I guess....or put him on 'a popular' brand of bottled water I can buy everywhere and let his body adjust to that situation??

I don't know thinking about it all also.
If he can't drink bottled water, then a filter on your coach isn't going to work for him.
Old 08-28-2018, 08:35 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4Gary View Post
If he can't drink bottled water, then a filter on your coach isn't going to work for him.
yea that is what I thought but if I trade him over onto a bottled water and go thru the 'runs' til his body accepts it as its natural source water, then I win I guess maybe LOL
I hear ya
Whirrlly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 11:21 AM   #19

We use one of those blue filters on the outside of our unit. Inside we use a Brita filter for our drinking water. We travel all over the USA and using two filters keeps the water tasting the same for us. The only time this didn't work for us is when we were staying just outside of Charleston, SC, the water was so horrible we had to buy bottled water.
Old 08-28-2018, 11:43 AM   #20

I just drink what comes out of the hose and the tank. Hasn't killed me so far but then I'm only 70 so it may get me yet. Like Billy said, "Much ado about nothing".
Old 08-28-2018, 11:58 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by djl919 View Post
We bring bottled water for ourselves for coffee, tea and such. Thinking this year I'd get a filtering system - myabe a filtered pitcher or faucet filter.
If you're a part-time camper staying in the same campgrounds every year, then I wouldn't worry about it.

If not, then, as others have said, look into an under-the-sink RO (reverse osmosis) system like this one from Watts: Watts 4-stage RO system.

For the most part, campground water is safe though it may be very "hard" water. However, we full-time and have had a few bad water experiences, so we use an extensive water filtration system.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 11:59 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
I just drink what comes out of the hose and the tank. Hasn't killed me so far but then I'm only 70 so it may get me yet. Like Billy said, "Much ado about nothing".
You betcha. I know several people who smoke and are still alive so I'm thinking about restarting the habit.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 12:06 PM   #23

We have a whole house filter that I change every 3 months or so. We use 2 - Pur Water Pitchers for drinking water/coffee/cooking. Those filters are replaced every 2 months. It's more about consistent "flavor" than any other issue.
Old 08-28-2018, 12:16 PM   #24

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcolorado View Post
My coa🚒ch has a whole house filter that does a good job but does not reduce hardness. I installed a water softener filter in the house for the dishwasher and instant hot/drinking water system. The water softener filter is a 10.5" cartridge that fits in a standard canister type filter housing. The water softener cartridge reduces our city water from 250 ppm to 25 ppm. So far it has lasted for 2 months and still tests 25 ppm. My plan this week is to install one in the coach under the sink with it's own faucet. These cartridges are $20 for 2 on Amazon and are good for 1500 gal. And they can be recharged to about 80% of new capacity. Coffee made from the water is very good.
Would you please post a link. The cheapest water softener cartridge I could find was $17.72 if you got them monthly. Did you know that each filter is only good for 30-35 gallons of really hard water? And you should run hot water thru them.

I use one of these https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...water+softener to soften all the water coming into the coach. That way I don’t get calcium build up in the water tank and lines. I recharge it yearly with 2# of table salt.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 01:41 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
Would you please post a link. The cheapest water softener cartridge I could find was $17.72 if you got them monthly. Did you know that each filter is only good for 30-35 gallons of really hard water? And you should run hot water thru them.

I use one of these https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...water+softener to soften all the water coming into the coach. That way I don’t get calcium build up in the water tank and lines. I recharge it yearly with 2# of table salt.
see post 15. 2 for $20 +$7 shipping. I do not run hot water through the ro catridge it is installed before the instant hot. According to the American Society of Agricultural Engineers >180 ppm is considered very hard, our city water is 250 ppm. I have run at least 35 gal through the system and it still tests at 25 ppm using my test strips and my swimming pool service company. I will continue to test the output each week and report back when the reading gets to 100 ppm. That is when I plan to recharge it.
redcolorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 06:13 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechWriter View Post
You betcha. I know several people who smoke and are still alive so I'm thinking about restarting the habit.
Yeah, the public water systems in the US are so bad they are comparable to smoking. I assume you are talking in jest and aren't seriously comparing public water to cigarettes.

I've never understood why folks are willing to pay more for bottled water than they do for gasoline and then they complain about plastic pollution. Just another sign of the times I guess.
Old 08-28-2018, 07:22 PM   #27
NRR

Solo Rvers Club
At every campground the first thing I do is give the dog a bowl of campground water nice and cold. If she does not want it after traveling all day nor do I. I will wait till the next campground to refill my water tank if necessary that I use for everything.

I use the Camco in line filter for all water coming in to the fresh water tank.
NRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 08:19 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post

Really, you recharge it yearly?[emoji15]
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water