Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-22-2014, 07:04 AM   #1

Water Regulator

for the last 40 years I have used the ole brass water regulator but now I see the adjustable ones with a gauge - comments?

I know that after the water has been turned off in the trailer the water pressure inside is the same as the line pressure and it really only regulates while water is flowing - so why use anything?
tucsonrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2014, 07:16 AM   #2

The water pressure coming from city water hookups can be very high. I have seen instances where a hose has exploded when the water was turned on full. I'd hate to have that happen inside my mh.

Some campgrounds I've been to have had signs warning of high pressure. I would not hookup to a water system without some type of pressure regulator, especially if I had never camped there before.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 07:21 AM   #3

Thor Owners Club
The regulator that restricts flow does only that.....restricts the flow but not the pressure. The regulator I use (Watts), allows me to adjust the water pressure. And typically I leave it at 45 psi.
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 07:36 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred1609 View Post
The regulator that restricts flow does only that.....restricts the flow but not the pressure. The regulator I use (Watts), allows me to adjust the water pressure. And typically I leave it at 45 psi.
Ditto here. I replaced the old flow restrictor with a Watts years ago. I mounted a gauge to it and keep it adjusted to 50 psi.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 07:49 AM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
Another watts user here. It made a big difference in water flow, especially when showering. I wish that I would have started with a watts regulator. I went through three of the inexpensive regulators a couple of years ago, so I decided to step up to the watts regulator and regret that I did not do it sooner.
Old 11-22-2014, 07:53 AM   #6

Thanks...
tucsonrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 08:01 AM   #7
Community Administrator

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1416668420.207198.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	806.7 KB
ID:	79638
Me too for watts.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 08:09 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Valterra adjustable PRV (pressure reducing valve). Amazon or camping world, ready to go with hose connectors. Amazon.com: Valterra A01-1117VP Brass Lead-Free Adjustable Water Regulator: Automotive

CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 09:51 AM   #9

Another option (which I finally adapted) is to buy a "whole house regulator" and a couple of hose adapters. These can be found at Hone Depot or Lowes and are probably less expensive than the other options. In my experience even the higher priced RV regulators still have some restriction. (Just my $.02 worth)

Have a nice day - Darrel
Old 11-22-2014, 02:35 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7ole View Post
Valterra adjustable PRV (pressure reducing valve). Amazon or camping world, ready to go with hose connectors. Amazon.com: Valterra A01-1117VP Brass Lead-Free Adjustable Water Regulator: Automotive

Ditto on this one.
Old 11-22-2014, 02:49 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrel View Post
Another option (which I finally adapted) is to buy a "whole house regulator" and a couple of hose adapters. These can be found at Hone Depot or Lowes and are probably less expensive than the other options. In my experience even the higher priced RV regulators still have some restriction. (Just my $.02 worth)

Have a nice day - Darrel
I redid the plumbing in the wet bay with a res style regulator and guage. I also installed valves and check valves so all I need to do is open a ball valve to flush the black tank. Great water flow to the shower.
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 04:17 AM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Regulator fall into basically 3 types

1: TOO SMALL, These include the brass or plastic cylinders with our without the bright plastic grip or wings. These when new will limit the pressure, usually to 45 or 50 PSI, but they seriously restrict the flow I have seen pressure drop to like 10 with a shower on. (Or less).

2: Big enough: Watts 1/2 inch or larger, Zurin (Likewise) and though I have never tested the Valterra adjustable unit I am told it does well.. WHEN NEW.. (I got a ZURIN last winter) I checked, 100 PSI in and 50 out, I mean 50 out.. Open the shower it's still 50 out. needle did not even wiggle.

3: OLD: Older units may not open fully so they will restrict the flow, Some (Watts, Sur-Flo (A watts comapny) and Zurin can be rebuilt cheaply (Do not know about Valterra) the cylinders are junk, but then they were junk when they were hanging in the store.

They may also not CLOSE fully allowing pressure to creep up.

Again, a rebuild may fix it on the good ones.

I use a 3/4 inch (Originally watts but since I could not get a rebuild kit I switched to Zurin) mostly because it is cheaper than a 1/2 inch and the adapters are easier to get. Very impressed with them.
Old 11-23-2014, 11:25 AM   #13

Freightliner Owners Club
Was checking Home Depot for a Watts and they had several options, which one do you folks use?
Old 11-25-2014, 08:51 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7ole View Post

Double ditto on this one....easy to adjust
Jim28730 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water