Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-26-2018, 07:10 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Water separator

Our '99 Had a valve where water could be drained from the water separator. Have '04 now and cannot find It? We had a $7000 fuel problem in '99 and we emptied on every trip.
Where, Oh! WHERE are you valve?

roadstar99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2018, 01:40 PM   #2

Whats a water seperator?

Old 04-26-2018, 03:07 PM   #3

If you have one it should be on the end of you fuel/ water sep filter.
Old 04-27-2018, 06:52 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
It separates water from fuel. We have Dutch Star '04 Diesel. Spartan manual says we have one but not where it is. Guess I should call Spartan. Our 99 DS had a valve to open and keep water drained. Onan's fuel system is expensive to replace and is non repairable $7000 so want to make sure we buy good fuel and keep water drained.
Thanks for reply.
Old 04-27-2018, 03:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadstar99 View Post
It separates water from fuel. We have Dutch Star '04 Diesel. Spartan manual says we have one but not where it is. Guess I should call Spartan. Our 99 DS had a valve to open and keep water drained. Onan's fuel system is expensive to replace and is non repairable $7000 so want to make sure we buy good fuel and keep water drained.
Thanks for reply.
Have you looked on or under the fuel filter? Different vehicle, but that's where mine is.
2004 Montana 2955RL, 400 watt solar, 2000 watt inverter/charger, 4-Interstate 225AH 6volt golf cart batteries, All LED lights,Champion Remote start 3- fuel option 3100/3400 inverter/gen.- 2000 F-350 7.3 4x4 long bed crew cab SRW.
weredoingit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 06:31 AM   #6

Not all filters have a drain. If your last service shop cheaped out on you you may have to replace the filter with a higher quality one.
spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 10:14 AM   #7

Most diesel fuel water separators are a 3 piece unit. The head, filter and bowl.
The bowl is replaceable and some have the drain and some just have a plug where the drain goes. In addition to the drain some have a water sensor.
If yours has just the plug you can replace it with a drain cock. Or if the bowl has no fittings the bowl can be replace by one that has them. A service shop that works on diesels has them in stock.
Old 04-28-2018, 10:25 AM   #8

Question ?

Are you looking for a ; water in fuel , drain point for the chassis engine ?
Or the gen set ?

Your post says the repair was on the Onan . Because the gen set fuel pick up is many inches above the bottom of the tank , it shouldn't pick up water .
If you need a separator for the gen set fuel supply , I'm sure it wouldn't be standard equipment , you'd have to add it yourself.
Old 04-29-2018, 07:26 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Looking for water in fuel. Only brought up Onan because if you get bad gas or water in gas it will damage the fuel system and it is not repairable and costs $7000 to replace. Therefore, think it important to drain water from water separator.
Old 04-29-2018, 08:45 AM   #10

You should have 2 fuel filters. The one closest to the fuel tank also contains the water separator. If it is like mine there is a wire connection and if water is sensed, an indicator on the dash will lite. However on mine there is a drain plug the bottom to manually drain any collected water.

Have a nice day - Darrel
Old 04-29-2018, 12:09 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

As long as the separator separates, you need not worry about draining. Many newer rigs have a "water in fuel" sensor to warn you at the first sign of water in the separator. The separator may or may not have a drain. Some filter/separators you simple replace.

If yours is one of the no-drain types, you can possible find a compatible filter that has a drain petcock, or you can add a separator bowl to the system at the primary filter. There are kits to do that. Amazon & Ebay have them, as well as most large marine dealers. Cummins shops are another source.

You might call your chassis manufacturer Customer Help line and ask what the OEM water separator was and if it used a drain petcock or filter bowl that you can drain as needed. If its a Freightliner, call 1-800-FTL-HELP and have the last 6 digits of the VIN handy. Spartan has a similar service, but I don't recall the number offhand.

Water in fuel should be a rare thing anyway, and the separator is extra insurance that it never reaches the engine.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 02:48 PM   #12
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"roadstar99".....Your post was initially all over the place as to what you were asking about, but I think you've cleared it up. Your 1999 diesel may have had some sort of separate water drain, but I haven't seen or heard of any modern day engines with them, other than attached to the primary fuel filter.

My 2005 Monaco Diplomat with a Cummins 400ISL had a primary and secondary fuel filter. The primary filter was a solid one piece filter, just like an oil filter, but it had a sensor built into it, with a wire attached, that sensed if their was water in fuel. It also had a drain knob that could be used to drain water, but isn't designed to do that on a regular basis. Opening it will drain out fuel and cause you issues. In 10 years of ownership, I never once drained the fuel filters, just replaced yearly.

Click image for larger version

Name:	41hVZ-bKGxL.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	200928

My current coach has a Cummins 450 ISL and uses the two piece primary filter. It has a clear bowl on the bottom of the filter, which contains a water sensor and a heating element. See photos below.

Name:	P1020195.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	181.1 KB
ID:	200929

Name:	P1020196.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	200930

With all that said, you're current engine is going to ether have the solid filter with sensor built in, or the two piece filter. No matter which one you have, they're not designed for routine draining of the fuel filter. I understand you had issues with your 1999, but this is a different and more modern coach and engine. You can't apply the practices of your previous coach to this new coach, out of fear of having another fuel issue. It's just not necessary.

Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water