Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-21-2014, 08:30 PM   #1

Water softener not working

When I add salt to my flow-pur it is not working...the water still is high on test strip.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2014, 08:41 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnetteY View Post
When I add salt to my flow-pur it is not working...the water still is high on test strip.
:x2

firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 12:15 AM   #3

I've encountered a similar problem after three years of ownership. We are FT so ours does get a workout but recent attempts at regeneration have been less than satisfactory. Other posters have suggested leaving the salt in the tank for an extended period under water pressure. I tried this without much success. I purchased a bag of replacement resin beads ($68.00) thinking ours might be worn out or somehow damaged. Interestingly enough, inside the package with the beads were not only the installation instructions but additional information regarding the care and feeding of the unit. It seems that the resin beads can be damaged by too much heat, too much chlorine, or too much iron in the water. "iron in the water will accumulate and interfere with your softener's ability to function properly". Use of a powered iron out compound when regeneration is recommended. They also state that rolling the unit back and forth on its side will help loosed the resin bed allowing it to be saturated by the salt water. Stand it back up vertically during the regeneration. I don't recall this information being included in the original instructions! I just refilled ours, we will see how it goes.
falconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 10:18 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Hmmm Ours works as advertised... 1.) Have you back flushed your system lately; 2.) Do you allow the salt to sit for 5 minutes after installation; 3.) Do you perform a 20 minute brine rinse, using the "Y" valve after the 5 minute wait?
Old 01-22-2014, 03:53 PM   #5

Thank you I did let the salt sit for a couple hours after I had rocked the canister back and forth to get the salt distributed. It is registered better...next time I will do the back washing..thank you
Old 01-22-2014, 04:28 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Thank you I did let the salt sit for a couple hours after I had rocked the canister back and forth to get the salt distributed. It is registered better...next time I will do the back washing..thank you
Annete,
You didn't mention the Brine rinse... that's critical to regenerating the unit.
Old 01-22-2014, 05:22 PM   #7

What is a brine rinse?
Old 01-23-2014, 01:58 AM   #8

Quote:
What is a brine rinse?
It's a slow rinse to get rid of calcium and magnesium in the tank.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:30 AM   #9

Quote:
I would do more than rock it back and forth, I would roll it around on its side, like a log. After taking mine apart and replacing the beads I have a better understanding of what's happening inside the tank. If you've never seen the resin beads, they are very small, almost like course sand. It's easy to see why after sitting vertical for a long period that they get compacted and make it difficult for the salt solution to penetrate. Rolling it around, back flushing, sufficient immersion time, and the brine regeneration are all critical to getting the salt throughout the resin beads. The salt solution is what cleans the beads.

falconman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water