Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-03-2014, 08:51 AM   #1

Water supply in freezing conditions

Hi All, I am new to RVing and I am planning my first trip to Florida from NJ this Sunday 1/5/14. I do not plan on dewinterizing until I get to Florida on Tuesday 1/7/14. The temperature is supposed to drop to 26 degrees on Tuesday night; will the campgrounds shut the water off?
Are there any precautions I should take while traveling in a class A mote home in cold weather conditions?
Thanks Sam

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2014, 08:57 AM   #2

In warmer climbs the water will just need to be left dripping for an over night freeze...

homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 09:01 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiam1202 View Post
Hi All, I am new to RVing and I am planning my first trip to Florida from NJ this Sunday 1/5/14. I do not plan on dewinterizing until I get to Florida on Tuesday 1/7/14. The temperature is supposed to drop to 26 degrees on Tuesday night; will the campgrounds shut the water off?
Are there any precautions I should take while traveling in a class A mote home in cold weather conditions?
Thanks Sam
Keep the heat on, fill the water tank and work off the pump. Hoses freeze easily. Disconnect and drain the hose when not in use. Sometimes the water in the hose at the connection will freeze the check valve that is just inside the wall behind the connection. You said 26 degrees. It depends how long ti stays below freezing. If your hose freezes a hair dryer works good and don't force ice thru it can damage that check valve. Good luck the weather looks awful.
Old 01-04-2014, 05:13 PM   #4

Some RV parks require you to disconnect when the temps approach freezing. Just disconnect, stow your water hose, and use your fresh water tank and pump. Not sure why some do not want to use their pump and fresh water tank since it is the easiest solution. You will also need to run your furnace to keep your water lines safe.
Old 01-04-2014, 05:37 PM   #5

You said you're not dewinterizing for your 2-day trip. Just fill some jugs for coffee, cooking , toilet flushing (use the dishpan water) and sponge baths during the two days. It's very doable.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 06:51 PM   #6

If u are not de-winterizing till warm weather you at just fine. Enjoy the trip. Take some water bottles.

Russell
Old 01-04-2014, 07:32 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Do not do like one of our neighbors and leave the sink faucet dripping ...but the sink went to the black tank, over filled it and flooded his basement. make sure the grey water is open and the sink drains to the gray tank.

If any doubt, fill your fresh water tank,disconnect and drain your fresh water hose. Reconnect the next day wwhen it is warmer.

Ken
Old 01-04-2014, 10:45 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
If it were me, I would take a few water jugs for drinking, clean up, leave everything winterized until I got far enough south at least. I doubt once you hit SC/FL area you will find CG's who have shut off water. If it dips below freezing it is very short lived. Just make sure your basement heat is on and would be good to go.

Kro1957 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water