Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-13-2018, 06:55 AM   #1

Wax and 303?

I just bought a gallon of 303 to coat my edpm roof (after cleaning with Camco roof cleaner) and trailer fiberglass sides. My question is should I wax the trailer first and then apply 303 or just use the 303 in place of wax? Also, I didn't see any information about minimum temperature to apply 303. It's still cold here near Chicago. Thank you in advance for your input.
ReddyRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2018, 07:40 AM   #2

I use 303 all the time on things like the decals/rubber/plastic/vinyl. I have never used it on the fiberglass sides of the whole trailer because I'm not sure you will like the look of that or how long it lasts. I'd do a small area and see what it looks like and how long it lasts, like say just the rear. If you want a wax that will last for years, I use ZEP Wet Look Floor Finish. There is prep required for that which you can search. Mine has last for years with occasional touch up. It goes over the decals and all and keeps them looking new.
Old 03-13-2018, 08:42 AM   #3

I applied 303 to my epdm roof after I cleaned it. It is good as a sunscreen for your tires as well. For the fiberglass I use wax.
G Schulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 08:47 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
How about a fiberglass roof & 303?

steve
Old 03-13-2018, 08:56 AM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I use 303 on my fiberglass roof.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 09:24 AM   #6

I have used 303 on roof twice a year for 3 years and it looks new. I tried it on fiberglass and it didn’t do well. Kinda cloudy. So I use a prep wax as previously mentioned. I use Lucas Oil prep product. Cheap, easy and long lasting shine.
GScott423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 09:26 AM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Rick! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Sorry I can't answer your question! Keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 09:50 AM   #8

I have used and like 303 products - however...

There were 2 303 products but they have added several cleaners lately capitalizing on the name. I would recommend reading labels and following recommended usage carefully. The basic products are of interest...

303 (Aerospace) Protectant is a good UV block that is recommended for rubber, vinyl, plastic. Great for vinyl decals & is recommended by mfg for Diamond Shield front cap coating
From the directions...
"Safe and effective for: vinyl, Plexiglas, carbon fiber, rubber, plastics and finished leather"

303 Fabric Guard is a good water repellent treatment for fabrics and is the recommended treatment for Sunbrella - a common marine / RV awning / top material.

Just be careful to apply them ONLY to the recommended surfaces / materials...

303 Fabric guard applied to plastics (like clear vinyl marine "windows") will remove plasticisers and make them brittle

303 protectant applied to fabrics will interfere with the water repellency

The mfg does not list fiberglass as a recommended use for either product... I don't think 303 protectant will do any harm to fiberglass? but ir leaves a matt finish. When I had a fiberglass MH roof I used NuFinish and really like how EZ it was to apply and it had very good longevity.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 10:17 AM   #9

For a fiberglass roof I would use, which I do, Mop and Glo, Wash roof first then apply 2-3 coats with a long handle sponge mop. Fast and does a good job. Similar product to Zeb earlier mentioned but not as strong or expensive, Wal-Mart or your grocery store. Always do your roof before you start the sides because no matter how hard you try it'll drip down when your washing it. I used 303 for years on my black fiberglass boat to keep the black gel coat from fading out sitting in the sun at a marina all summer. Out of dozens of products I tried it by far worked the best. However, on your RV, again like mine I would recommend a good wax or more likely some kind of polymer coating like Nu Finish. That was my coating of choice for my boats and now my RV. Easy on, a bit dusty on removal but the shine and water repellent with last the whole season. However, because this is a topic that comes up several times a year on this and other forums, last summer I tried a Mequiar's M26 Mirror Glaze. It went on a about the same as Nu Finnish, but came off "cleaner" with out the dust residue. Until I get the rig ready this spring so I can compare how the Mequiar's fared over the winter will I know If I'll give it another shot or go back to my tried and proven Nu Finnish. And yes, use 303 on your tires, decals, vinyl etc.
vincee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 10:32 AM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
This Starbright polish is a marine grade polymer designed for fibreglass. Easy on-off and lasts a year with great shine and beads like crazy. https://www.amazon.com/Star-brite-Pr...E1DPAPVVJZBP37
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 02:52 PM   #11

Thank You

Thank you for all the replies. I will use the 303 aerospace only on the roof and try Zep floor finish for the fiberglass sides. I've been using Turtle Wax on the sides and looking to try something new which may be easier on my elbow grease supply.
ReddyRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 05:42 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Another vote for the Starbright Polish with PTEF.

Don’t know why they call it a polish, it does not have “cutting agents” typical in a polish. It DOES last an entire year. I’ve used it for eight years on a boat that lives outside 24/7; I would not even think of changing to a different product.
Aegon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 06:02 PM   #13

I would not use floor finish on your RV unless the finish is dull from sun exposure and normal buffing doesn’t work for you. To be clear, I have used Mop and Glo on the 16 year old Hurricane mh I had and it made a big difference but no way would I use it on my 2016 as the finish is new and spray on wipe off products do a great job. To me using Zep or any acrylic floor finish on an RV is a last resort.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 06:04 PM   #14

303 makes a wax detailer https://www.walmart.com/ip/303-Quick...fl-oz/51985391

I bought some around Black Friday off amazon. Haven't tried it yet. Actually forgot about it until you guys brought it up. lol